“This jury is still out.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hunter Mountain Hotel & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Hunter Mountain Hotel & Spa
48 Clover Rd, Hunter, NY 12442   |
Brooklyn, New York
“This jury is still out.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'd like to focus on the positive - the people working here are genuinely nice, hard working and go out of their way to accomodate the guests. The place itself is rustic; all of the rooms are different but the ones we saw were lovely. The exercise instructors were also very knowledgeable and fun; working with the guests' physical limitations if that was an issue. My friend & I had a massage that was the very best we EVER had in our lives given by Michael. I wish we lived closer. That being said, I did not have the wonderful experience with the chef that other reviewers had nor did the people at my table find the food anything to rave about. He must have been having "off" days because he was serving people what they were allergic to (on more than one occasion). So that being said, make sure if you have allergies or food sensitivies, you are self responsible and take nothing for granted!!! Also, even with being on a 900 or 1200 calorie diet, the servings weren't adequate. Sure, we were full when we finished eating, but there was nothing "breakthrough" offered (mid morning drink, late afternoon snack of celery or fresh vegetables, bowl of fruit available for those who stay up late at night). Salad salad & more salad as a filler didn't cut it. When served bbq chicken, we were given one chicken thigh and some vegetables. Yes, there was cake for desert, but I much preferred 2 chicken thighs (a bit of increased protein) or some cut up fresh fruit to the carbs in the cake. But I guess being a chef is not an easy job and if I return, next time, I will bring "fillers" (cut up vegetables or fruit). Also, the poached salmon was overcooked. In addition, there are no choices offered so you eat what the chef serves. The spa doesn't promote organic or natural; the focus is on reducing calories and not promoting natural health. And cheese is utilized at meals very frequently. But, the hotel is set high in the mountains and is perfect for relaxation. The indoor pool is always open and kept at a warm temperature. Amenities like shampoo & soap are provided, but if you require anything else you can purchase it from the front desk at a nominal fee. There is no steam room or sauna, and the towels could be a bit less threadbare as expected one would find in a spa. They run a lot of specials via email or living social and for a special price, iit's a good getaway..in the mountains....fresh air...trees....bring lots of books and prepare to unwind & be away from the everyday stress of your life. Would I return? Probably ... because the people who work here are truly truly very nice and genuine. And if Michael is available for a massage it is definitely a plus.

Room Tip: If you have any type of preference (upstairs, downstairs - there are no elevators), porch, loft, par...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've read all the reviews and it saddens me that people are so cruel and uptight. The facility itself isn't the Ritz Carlton however the people who work here genuinely care about their guests and their well being. This is a hidden gem snuggled in a rustic countryside. The chef was amazing and embraced my wheat allergy. He personally gave me several culinary tips. The food was delicious. I thought I was eating too much but after the week was over I lost eight pounds !! The trainers were fabulous. I've been exercising all my life and I learned so much while I was there. Overall the place is clean and everyone goes out of their way to take care of you. I met a lot of nice people who have been coming to this Spa for years and It didn't surprise me at all to hear about some of their Hollywood guests that have stayed their in the past. I will be attending the Spa again to lose my final 10 pounds in a few weeks and I'm thrilled to return!! If you want to pay double the price and wear an Armani sweatsuit feel free to stay somewhere else. If you want to roll up your sleeves, workout with great trainers, and enjoy great meals in a friendly environment then this is the place to be!!

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The food is great, you would never know it's low low calorie. The chef took each person's eating preferences seriously and personally tailored their individual meals. I loved the food and never felt food deprived at all. The staff is attentive and available. The exercise classes are varied and excellent (and I'm a yoga teacher!). There's all kinds of people here-fat and thin, old and young. This place isn't fancy and everyone seemed to just fit in. The guests seemed especially natural and friendly. I lost more weight than I have at any other spa I've ever been to. I also did a lot of walking here which was a pleasure because the area is beautiful and we walked in groups. My whole experience was quite enjoyable This spa is an easy drive from NYC and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been going to Vatra Spa since 2006 and just love it. A great place to get fit and lose weight with focused diet and exercise. Chef Chris manages to serve delicious, fresh food given the many dietary restrictions. I never felt hungry at all. The friendly staff, a variety of skilled trainers and simple, comfy accommodations add to the experience. My personal favorite is the spa area. Massages with Nancy are what keep you going after a day of exercise. Be sure to book spa appointments with Hallie early as her salt scrubs, variety of body wraps and facials are in high demand.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sayville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am writing this review a little late. I went labor day weekend 2012 and my life has changed ever since. In fact I am returning this labor day weekend for a new kickstart. Lets start by saying this place is not luxurious. In fact when we first arrived my friend didn't even want to stay and wouldn't give her email address. By the end of her trip she wanted to send her mom and she is coming back again this year for our "anniversary celebration of our new healthy life". I have lost 50 pds since leaving and my friend lost 25 pds. Place is very small but effective. Food is really delicious...I have stopped adding salt to my food since my visit there. Rooms are comfy...AC works great. You are here for a reason and it is up to you to participate.
Strict schedule....of course you can do as little or as much as you want...but hey I am there I might as well do it all cause there is no other recreation besides the exercise classes. Oh there is a tennis court and pool outside....as well as inside.
Early wakeup. Breakfast 8:30 isn...then a walk through the mountains, bout 45 min, Next is group exercise class varies, weights, yoga, zumba.....etc. Then a water aerobic class. Lunch then repeat. So a total of 6 classes/walks etc per day. Then dinner. One night on my last trip they had a hypnotist talk to us and she was great. At night no planned activities....we played board games..,I got a massage and went to bed early to repeat same schedule the next day.

I have to say again the food was really good and chef put menu up in morning and would accommodate if you did not like anything.

Pros. No nonsense approach to a healthy lifestyle.
Cons Would be nice if they had a different speaker at night for healthy living. Especially cooking ideas.

Lastly....the place is very rustic....no frills. But very effective. Lots of repeat customers.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms had a loft with more beds up there....In the summer it was very hot up there. We h...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The answer to that is a definite NO!! It is not a diet, it is a change in lifestyle. My wife and I went there with friends for a week, primarily to try and drop a few pounds. When we 1st arrived we were not overwhelmed, it was rustic, it was laid back and it was not fancy. You get to your room, you unpack and then a strange feeling hits you, you feel like you are at home. The people that run the place are warm and caring. They are very supportive, whether you lose one ounce or ten pounds, the support is there. The food is unbelievable. The chef is a magician. He takes a simple piece of chicken, turns it into a wrap with a Caesar salad and you have a feast. If you don't want something, like I do not eat fish so I went to the chef and I had chicken, made a little different, with a salad and veggies and it was a great meal, truly enjoyable. We met some great people at our table and the sound you heard at all the tables was laughter. People eating, enjoying their food and having a good time. No long faces, no complaining about the food, just people enjoying their meal. I do have one complaint, I hate heat and the dining room was warm. It should have been cooled down but lunch and dinner at times were not as enjoyable as they should be because of the heat. That would be the one area they might do something about in the summer months ahead. We are looking to go back next July and we certainly want the dining room a lot cooler then it was this time. So what else can I say, oh yes the exercise. A morning walk, an exercise instructor puts you through your paces and then he does it again, this time in the pool. You work hard to achieve what you want. Twice a day you go through this regimen to lose the pounds you want. I went in weighing 263 and I left weighing 247. I loved it. I also loved that low calorie chocolate mousse with a drop of whip cream. Man, that was good. So I did the food, the exercise, what is left, the rooms. Comfortable, not fancy, great air conditioner in the room and with the overhead fan, you are very comfortable. I saw an ant or two but you are in the country and they were skinny too so the diet was working for them also. All in all it was a great week, I worked out, had fun, lost a few pounds, and went to Woodstock. I bought a shirt that brought me back to my youth, my memories of many years ago when I was young, listening to James Taylor and Joan Baez. It was quite a trip, and we will do it again next year. Thankfully there were no red checkered tablecloths. Until then, stay well, stay safe, and G-d Bless, see you next July.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the front are the ones that have been redone. Our room was nice, 2 twin beds, pl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

For the past two summers, I have visited my mom at this weight loss spa for a weekend stay (in order to show support). The first time my mom stayed a month and lost 20 pounds. I recommend the spa with the following observations:

Location

It's deep into the catskills and maybe a 10 minute drive to the nearest town. It would be hard to stay up there without use of a car.

Amenities

The spa has an outdoor and indoor pool, tennis courts, a basic gym, and is nearby to trails. There is a phone in each room for local calls. There is no T-Mobile reception (but the wifi is strong enough to use wi-fi based calling so you effectively get reception).

Guests

At any time, there are like 5-20 other guests at the complex. It is mostly a middle to upper-middle class spectrum of fairly well-educated northeast types; ages ranging from 30-70 but skewed to the older side (and heavier, obviously). I've met teachers, doctors, judges, house wives, and a fair amount of civil servant retiree types. The people can be a little gossipy and blunt ("did you lose weight" one will ask another after coming back from the scale) but on the whole they are easy enough to pass the time during and after a meal.

Given the lack of salt or butter, the food is surprisingly good. They are big on soups, most of which are quite tasty. Their coffee sucks. They should invest in a Keurig/Nespresso machine and charge a discounted rate per pod (like 50 cents). I think a lot of people bring along health bars and other diet treats and stash them in their room. I think you will still lose weight so long as you are active.

Activities

They get locals to do a wide range of classes (based on consensus) like yoga, tai chi, weight liffting, zumba, etc. There is also a daily morning and evening walk.

Bottom Line

I think the real charm of the place is the fact that their spa is usually so lightly used. There is no line to use any of the facilities. It's a real retreat from the city. At the right price (they run discounts), it is to be strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Try something near the wifi router and the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HSpa, Director of Sales at Hunter Mountain Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Just a reminder: The telephones in the rooms have complimantary nationwide calling.

Been to Hunter Mountain Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!