“not the worst, not the best” 3 of 5 stars

St. Charles Hotel
16 Park Place, Hudson, NY 12534   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Hudson
Islip, New York
“not the worst, not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was an ok hotel and I guess depending on where your coming from will determine how you feel about their rates. I paid 108 for a king room which I thought wasnt bad. However I probably wouldnt choose to stay here again, I did not feel 100% clean during my stay but we just needed a place to crash for the night so it did its job in that regard. Next time around though I might look to spend a little more to stay somewhere nicer but if traveling on a budget this isnt terrible just not the nicest place in the world. The pillows were strangely small for the king bed, almost the size of throw pillows which I thought was odd but did not really affect my sleep too much. Staff was friendly and attentive and everything worked, I will give them that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I'll start with the positive. The location is great, on a square at the end of Warren Street (the main commercial street) facing a nice little park. The front desk staff was also very friendly. I'd give a half star for these qualities if I could, but I can't recommend anything else about this place.

The whole property was completely devoid of light and joy like something straight out of "The Shining" and smelled overwhelmingly of disinfectant, which was, in fact, a slight reassurance after we saw how completely dumpy the room was. It looked like there had been a half-hearted effort to update the property at some point in the early 2000s, with modern (for the time) headboards and bed furnishings, but the carpet looked like it hadn't ever been cleaned.

The mattresses were hard and unforgiving and all of the pillows were really flimsy. The bathroom was very small and outdated, but the shower did have nice water pressure. The continental breakfast was awful (stale, lukewarm coffee and some packaged pastries). Everything - the Styrofoam cups for the coffee, the in-room toiletries, the door that didn't quite meet the frame - reflected a race to the bottom, with the absolute cheapest, lowest quality.

We paid almost $120 for the night, which I thought was way overpriced for what you got. They get away with that because of the dearth of other properties so close to town. I think they should raise the prices a little and spend it on a top-to-bottom renovation. It looks like it was once a really nice historic property and it could be again with a lot of attention and TLC.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Based on some of the reviews I was prepared for the fact that this hotel was going to be older and a bit run down so that was not a surprise. However, our room was clean, the beds were comfortable and there was plenty of drawer and closet space. The free parking lot for guests is a real plus because parking in Hudson can be tough and/or confusing with the street parking rules.

Most of the bed/breakfast type places that we normally stay at were sold out of the type of rooms we like so we decided to stay here. The more positive reviews encouraged us and we are glad we decided to do so.

The staff seemed to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast was strictly continental so unless you have to hit the road I recommend eating at one of the great cafes in Hudson and maybe grabbing something from the breakfast at the hotel for a snack later. WIFI was excellent in our room (2nd floor)

Rates here are reasonable for Hudson which tends to be expensive. I would stay here again without hesitation. The four stars is because of the parking, location and clean room...but keep in mind that the actual hotel itself is more like a two star European type hotel which was very suitable for us since we do not spend much time in the room.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the way the doors look; rooms are perfectly OK.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Worked with Ricky, the hotel manager to arrange accommodations for my crew who were coming from Oregon. She provided us with outstanding service and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was pleasant.

I wish she was the hotel manager of ALL the hotels we stayed at because of the level of service she provides. Her staff were also up to par with the level of service they provided. If I ever need to stay in our near Hudson again I will definitely stay there!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lake George, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night to see a band perform at Club Helsinki. Since we were only planning to sleep at the St. Charles Hotel, it met our needs. Nothing fancy, but decent, and definitely unique, just like Hudson. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable. Would stay here again if I ever get back to town. The proximity to Warren Street is ideal and the view of the park is charming.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

On a recent visit to Hudson, my 91 year old mom and I were welcomed with genuine kindness and assistance from the staff at the St. Charles Hotel in Hudson, NY. Coming from Oswego, NY on long, slow, slushy, foul winter weather night on the NYS Thruway. We arrived at 11:30 pm that evening, about 3 hours behind schedule. No matter, nas weary as we were, the evening staff greeted us at the door with welcome smiles and much needed assistance. All without being asked. My mom was seated in warmth and comfort. She was reassured by the staff. This is very important to me,. My mom has dimentia. She is a native Hudsonian, having grown up there in the 1920's. She felt comfortable, most at ease and most important, at home! Afterall, the City Park with it's old fountain and peacefulness, is located directly in front of the St. Charles. We were assisted to our room by a patient staff member. Settled in a clean room, one is always assured a quiet, restful sleep at the St. Charles. Continental breakfast in the clean, vintage, tin-ceiled dining area is good and simple....just like old Hudson!

Just so you know, this NOT a place where fleets of staff, clad in matching polyester outfits are running around at full-bore, stressing out guests and themselves alike. Genuine smiles and caring. A uniqueness all its own....It comes from the heart, not some corporate training manual. A jewel in the world of sameness, the St. Charless Hotel is located in the safe haven of uptown Hudson. We look forward to our next visit to Hudson. We will be staying at the St. Charles Hotel. You should too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I will defiantly be staying at the St.Charles again the staff are very friendly and they went above and beyond to help me and to assist me in anyway possible.The rooms were very clean and the free breakfast is a plus I really enjoyed my stay

• Stayed January 2014

Been to St. Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!