“Great for groups” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hudson
Hudson, New York
“Great for groups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I am a regular guest/user of the ballroom facility of the hotel. It is well managed, with a friendly, cheerful and efficient staff. The common areas are clean and well maintained. It is a pleasure to walk through the door because of the welcoming atmosphere at the front desk. Our clients have remarked on the friendly, inviting atmosphere of the facility.

Many friends have stayed at the St. Charles when visiting. For those without cars, Amtrak's riverside train station is just 5 minutes away by taxi. If one feels like strolling from the station, it is a short walk on treelined streets with beautiful homes in a multitude of architectural styles. For those that drive, hotel parking is ample and convenient. All guests have said that the rooms are clean and comfortable and available at a reasonable rate. The hotel is centrally located within the city of Hudson, with a view of the park. Step out the door and find art galleries, antique and home design stores, vintage jewelry & clothing, restaurants, cafes, bistros, bars and entertainment, all within walking distance of the great little hotel! I highly recommend a stay at the St. Charles

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We don't usually travel with our two small dogs, but since this hotel took pets, we hoped for the best. The room was extremely clean and quite large. The king size bed was impeccable and we were comfortable. We were a little challenged in the morning because there was not enough hot water, but luckily I had taken a nice hot bath the night before. That did not upset us though because we were pleased with the the level of cleanliness overall. For a place that takes dogs, we did not feel like we were in a second tier room at all. Of course, it's all price relative. The room was reasonably priced, our dog's stay was cheap, and we got our money's worth. We would stay again if our dogs come with us.

Room Tip: Confirm the hot water situation before you book
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have used the hotel for about 4 years to conduct NY State training classes and have found
the location and services excellent. Our meeting room is fully prepared when we arrive and
necessary video aids are provided by the hotel. Beverages are provided and the staff has been
found to be professional and ready to meet our needs on request. On occasion when a two day class is presented our students have used the hotel for lodging - all have been happy with their
stay and services provided - thanks to Ricky and Chris, hotel staff members, for their help
and excellent service.
TFN Security Guard Training

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lathrop, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We Spend the thanksgiving weekend at this hotel every year, and have a good experience every time.... But this year it was different. Unfortunately there was no hot water the first night, but the front desk was very accommodating and were trying to get it fixed over the holiday weekend... we did get some hot water the next day and the third day was fine.... The rooms are always nice and clean, the Christmas decoration in the lobby looked wonderful. Even thought there was less heat in the front desk area, our rooms were pretty warm due to individual units in rooms. Over all it was a challenging experience only for the first day, and that does not make us change our opinion about St Charles... We will be back next year.

Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Checked in on Friday. Altho the hotel ahd lacked hot water (and coats had to be worn in the breakfast ares) we were not told re the problems. The hotel lacked hot water the next day as well, we were led to believe this was a recent problem--you must be honest with your custtomers! Staff was friendly but not forthcoming. Breakfast barely adequate. Room was large and clean, but a rock-hard bed.

If you have a serious problem, you must tell the guests

Room Tip: Ask if they have hot water
Cumberland Center, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I spend 3-4 day a week for business in hotels so I think that I can be a good judge with a non-biased oponion. This is our second time in this hotel. The first time was many years ago and it was pretty bad. New management and a recent remodel sparked my interest and I was willing to take a second chance. Things happen beyond the management's control. The thing that happened to us was that the boiler went out and we had to spend two days without showers while visiting family for Thanksgiving. What did not happen was customer service. The first day I get, they were trying to fix things over the holidays. The second day everything was fixed but " nine hunters used up all the hot water". They said this while wearing winter coats in the lobby which had no heat. So, if this is the case and you like to take a hot shower in the morning, they only have water for nine people so you better take it early.

The remodel - I'm in the construction buisness, paint and some tile does not make a remodel. The beds were OK but the bathroom was discusting (ask my wife and daughter, not to mention that there was still a bar of soap left over from the last visit still in the tub that was dirty). The textured finish on the ceiling in our room was flaking into the floor. 1" caulk joints attempted to blend casework, flooring and the bathroom fixtures. We did not experience the rooms pictured on the web site.

Breakfast - this I really could care less about but I do like coffee. I walked into the dining area to get a cup of coffee at 9:02 and was informed that breakfast was over at 9:00. The next day I made sure to get there before 9:00 and still no coffee. There is a Dunkin Donut accross the street so that made it OK (day 2 with no shower, I needed warm coffee in a bad way). We checked out and found another place. We also had two other family members staying at this place, they left as well.

We get that you can't help it when things break down. However, any reasonable place would make an effort to tell you what was going on, try to make you feel more comfortable and at least provide hot coffee. This group made themselves scarce, did not answer the desk phone and pretty much did not seem like they cared about anyone in the place. On my way back with coffee for my girls I met a group that had just checked in and they were unaware of the lack of hot water....amazing.

Finally, you get what you pay for. The same rates can be had in towns closer to Albany. As I mentioned, we took a chance. Next year back to Albany for us. The extra 20 minutes to the family gathering for me is well worth it.

Room Tip: The place is very old, choose the top floor so that you don't have to listen to the neighbors ab...
Milford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the St. Charles Hotel in Hudson, NY, to visit friends. The location of this nearly 150 year old unassuming building couldn't be better for visiting the plethora of great local restaurants and eclectic shops! The front desk clerks were very kind and courteous, making me feel welcome and at ease. My room was very clean and comfy. When I returned after a busy morning, housekeeping had the room spic and span again. The continental breakfast has more to offer than many I have seen, and includes some fresh fruit! It is served in a lovely dining area with an ornate tin ceiling and a big window facing the park across the street. It also showcases some very cool, black and white photos of the hotel and town from days gone by. Reading the selections and prices on an old menu on display, from 1933, was also a great treat. All in all, I had a great stay in Hudson, at the St. Charles. A big thank you, to Erin and Ricky for all their help! I will definitely stay there next time I am in Hudson.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to St. Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!