“That's Italian!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Santa Rosa, California
“That's Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We ate at Lenny's on Easter Sunday upon a recommendation from our hotel. As soon as we arrived I could tell it was a neighborhood institution. Although busy as expected, the wait was only about 25 minutes. The food we ordered was delicious, and the atmosphere...stereotypically Italian family, in the best way! My elderly mom was not feeling well, and the waitress did all she could in providing a second meal that might be more appealing to her compromised tastebuds. This was a great find for our last dinner on vacation!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Usually good; sometimes not.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I grew up in NYC and have been to Lenny's on and off for over 20 years, mostly on weekends, sometimes on weeknights. Although there is crowd on weekends, I usually do not have to wait long. Most of the time I go there with friends, sometimes with family. The food and service is usually good--better than average with nice sized portions. The complimentary bruschetta is a nice touch and always tastes fresh and flavorful. The marinara sauces are among the best. The ambience is OK -- could be a bit more inviting, but better than before their renovation years ago and will do for a romantic evening depending on where you're seated.

Once in a while, the food and service are off. Generally, that's when I've been there late on a weeknight. That's when the service has been at times inattentive although never rude, and at times our food arrived not as ordered. Generally, the Italian dishes have been good -- not haute cuisine but nevertheless large satisfying well-prepared portions. However, at times food has been served that clearly shows that the meal was either over or underheated, cooked twice, and was otherwise not as fresh as it should have been. My most recent trip there (a couple of weeks ago), I ordered the BBQ chicken & baby back ribs with a baked potato. The meal was almost inedible -- it was clear that the entire plate had been under the heat for an extended period of time -- the ribs and chicken were dried out and tough (especially on top) and the top of the baked potato had a tough skin and was also dried out. This was the worst meal by far that I ever had at Lenny's and hopefully an aberration. Chicken fingers ordered recently during another late weeknight outing appeared to have been re-fried and were dry and underseasoned. The tomato sauce for a pasta dish ordered by my friend was oversalted. These were all amateurish mistakes that I usually have not experienced at Lenny's.

Lenny's overall is a good place to go with reasonable prices, but perhaps avoid going there late on a weeknight -- that's when the odds are you will get a kitchen and wait staff that's not up to Lenny's historic standards and the trip will not be worth the cost. Go on weekends to get the best experience.

• Visited March 2013
RICHMOND HILL
“Mussels with garlic, olive oil and other good stuff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have heard about this restaurant for years and just never took the time to go. I especially wanted to go as it is one of the more well known establishments. Look you don't get the warmest waitress service but no one is rude and your food arrives on your table as you ordered it and served efficiently and quickly. Of course, I had the calamari with warm marinara sauce, stuffed clams, surprisingly lip smacking babyback ribs, and mussels with garlic and olive oil over linguini was absolutely delicious. The bill wasn't bad and I will definitely go back again. It is worth the trip to Howard Beach.

• Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
“OK Food Terrible Service...Never Again!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Wanted to really like this place since it was highly recommended by friends. The food was just OK with large portions but due to the service I will NEVER go back. The female server seemed upset we ordered only soda. I guess the comment of "that's simple enough" could have made us feel that way. Once she took our order we didn't hear from her. We sure did see here though...we saw her talking to other staff joking around, drinking dunkin donuts...guess she was on a coffee break. Multiple times we were asked by the Manager & I guess a busser if we were finished...was the food on my plate and the fork being directed to my mouth not an indication I'M NOT FINIHED?!?! I understand they were busy but goodness!!!

The staff should be required to have clean pressed uniforms considering they do work in a restaurant and this was not the case especially one of the ladies that seemed to be working a private party in the back sitting area. She had a wrinkled long sleeve shirt which looked 5 times larger than here normal size but that wasn't the worst thing her constant complaining saying she doesn't give a sh*** as she walked buy our table numerous times is what was the most annoying. Many of the servers were complaining to each other. If they are not happy working there don't make it worse by giving bad service!!

I will drive to Don Pepe's on Lefferts Blvd before I ever go back here. The food is MUCH better & service is outstanding. A MUCH better family environment.

Food:
Complimentary brushetta was good especially with a drizzle of the herb infused olive oil that's in the table.

The fried calamari was way too tough. It's served with a choice of three sauces mild, mediem & hot. We selected the medieum and it had just enough heat...too bad the sauce was better than the calamari.

Eggplant Parm was good. I didn't eat the house saled that came with it since it had a stale refrigerator taste.

Baked Ziti was cold in the center I guess they just mixed the ricotta into cold pasta & thru mozarella on top & placed it in the broiler to melt the cheese. It doesn't take much to heat the pasta first.

Chicken Ceaser salad was hugh & tasted good.

Child's Baby Back Ribs with curly fries were good...at least that's what my niece said & she loves ribs.

New Braunfels, Texas
“Good food and interesting people watching”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Lenny's was recommended, along with several other restaurants in the Howard Beach area, by our hotel. We opted for a table outside overlooking the waterway and boats. Our waiter was great and very nice, but the waitstaff kept wanting to take away my plate of food without asking me first. Granted there was not much left, but none the less, I was still eating....slowly. I love calamari but theirs was very chewy and not as crispy as I prefer. My fellow travelers liked, not loved, their pastas and seafood. I enjoyed a huge salad topped with the fried calamari.

• Visited August 2012