“Great Location, very nice room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Horseheads
Cincinnati
“Great Location, very nice room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We picked this hotel based on its location and were very pleased. The hotel is clean and well maintained and the room was very nice, the bed linens were especially nice. The free breakfast is probably the best free breakfast we have had in a hotel, with a lot to choose from. The staff also works hard to keep the breakfast room clean and will help you get something if you need it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Upstate New York, in the Catskills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Mixed reviews about this recently renovated property suggested that building was so good that the staff didn't have to try. Didn't find the latter to be the case.
Helpful friendly staff, easy check in. Comfortable king-sized bed in nonsmoking room with fridge and microwave.
Quick accommodation of a request for room change when first room smelled a bit too much of deodorized smoke. Key cards were ready when we'd made it back to the lobby.
Quiet fridge kept a few cans of pop cold while we popped corn for a movie on tv after long day sightseeing in Corning. Quiet - even with a Jr. Prom happening basically down the hall.
Nice sound of muffled rain drops on the roof.
Easy in and easy out.
Hot breakfast not a home run, but decent cold foods selection as well.
Outdoor pool not open early May, but looked good.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I wasn't expecting much based on the reviews and the fact that I expected a Holiday Inn Express to be bare bones/no frills. I could not have been more wrong! The room was immaculate! The bathroom was spotless - especially the shower. No mold or mildew of any sort. The room had all the basic amenities, including shampoo, conditioner, etc. which some of the more expensive chains are starting to cut back on. There was even a note that if you forgot any of the basics (i.e., a toothbrush, razor, etc., you could call down to the front desk and they have some at no extra charge). The bed had a "pillow menu" which indicated which of the piilows were firm or soft. Free internet access as well. The TV wasn't flat screen, but that does not matter to me. It worked and had more channels than I could ever look to watch in the little time I actually spent in the room. I didn't notice any noise, but based on other reviews, maybe I was just lucky and there weren't any loud groups staying there that weekend. For what it is worth, I did have a second floor room facing the back of the property which is an empty field. The only ambient noise was some highway noise from time to time - but nothing that would keep you up. Breakfast was in an airy room with windows and a big screen TV. The selection was very ample and everything was fresh and replaced often (cereal bar, danishes, bacon, eggs, sausage, cinnamon rolls, fruits, juice, coffee, tea). I was only looking for a clean place to stay, not a resort (which I imagine is the criteria for most people staying in this immediate area) so this place pleasantly ticked all the boxes and then some! It exceeded all expectations! I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2009
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

My latest stay here (10/11/2008) was a nightmare. After being awoken by the next room’s occupants at 12 midnight, I put up with their loud drunken behavior (they keep screaming to get more booze) until 12:30am.

I called the Front Desk and the person who answered said he’d come up.

At 12:45am, I called back saying nothing had changed, which he replied “I spoke with them and they just got back from a wedding”.

I then asked to speak with the Night Manager and he said he was it.

I asked, what do you plan to do? I wasn’t paying $160 for one night to listen to this annoying, rude, and disrespectful behavior. To which he answered, “I can’t do anything.”

Finally, at 2:15am, they must have finally passed out in the next room.

I passed in my room keys at 10am and was just met with my room bill being handed to me. Nothing noted on it about what went on during the night or even an empty “was everything ok, sir?” salutation. I was so disgusted with the whole sitaution that I just walked out, for the last time.

My daughter is going to one of the local colleges so for the next four years, this specific hotel will not get our business ever again (at least 12 more future stays will be elsewhere). In fact, we’ll probably just stay away from this hotel chain all together.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Met family at the Holiday Inn Elmira-Horseheads for a one night stay. What a great place. The reception staff was extremely friendly and helpful, reserving two linked rooms without me requesting this.
The place was heavily staffed with a lifeguard at the outdoor pool. Not sure if this may be a new policy but I was surprised and delighted. The cleaning crew worked were busy cleaning even the stair ralings, most impressive.
The "continental breakfast" pleased all six of us with a variety of cereals, coffees, breads and juices. We will definately meet here again for a one night getaway.

• Liked — Friendliness of Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
camayalover
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

I stayed there with other family for a reunion weekend. I have kids and we wanted to be near each other. Upon arrival we were too early to check in so I asked the General Manager if she could assign us a room without the key - we would pick that up later when we actually could check in. She about chewed my head off and snipped me that "I can't give you a key." - um, that is what I just said. The other woman at the desk chimed in and re-explained my request and all was fine.

I wanted to phone my mother to tell her I arrived and the General Manager once again seemed put out when I asked where a house phone was. She said it was around the corner but would just end up ringing her anyway so let me call her. What is her name? I had JUST given her the room number, she had to verify it - again - before dialing. Had I just dailed myself I would be done already!

Then I got on the phone, over the front desk, and when I asked what room I was in the General Manager once agian snipped that she could not tell me - as though I were prying for CIA secrets. I let it go and left.

THe room smelled of smoke non-stop, even with A/C. The doors were like tissue paper to the outside (If you are on the first floor) and to the hallway as well.

At 3 am someone was slamming doors, screaming in the halls, etc. Woke up everyone - all the kids too. Definitely not quiet.

THe breakfast buffet is "OK" but the eggs were horrid. It was definitely not worth $10. THe potatoes seemed boiled and thrown on a grill for about two seconds before being served - sans any seasonings.

Overall we HAD to stay there due to other hotels being bookd. But I wouldn't again - not worth the price. THey have signs everywhere to not steal the towels or $15 charges (you kidding me?), and the staff seems to know you have no other choice when you stay there. THey don't even try!

I love the Country Inn & Suites in Horseheads - better people, accommodations, etc. for the money. Breakfast is included! Also there is a hotel near the Mall nearby this hotel - forgot the name! - also very good. HIlton I think?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn onces before and had the same experience Smokey smells, unfriendly staff, etc.

• Liked — The pools - kids love to swim
  • Disliked — THe staff and smokey rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jamestown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

In October of every year there is a 4H Horse program intercounty competition held at the Chemung county fairgrounds. Unfortunately this conflicts with the Elmira College parents weekend held in the same area. I originally had weekend reservations for the Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview. After one night there we were ready to take our chances anywhere. I feel that $75 is a fair price for a Hotel/Motel outside and away from the larger cities. I have paid as low as $50 and as much as $175 for rooms this year, based on my 5 trips for the season. This holiday inn Express was a walkin visit using my preferreed member or whatever holiday inns calls their program. I paid $150 for one night with all fees.
I found the non-smoking room to be very well appointed. It was smallish but had what I needed. It was clean and smelled that way. The best part was the new mattresses and pillows. The curtains were very dark for those that want to sleep in. The coffee in the room could have been in the bathroom had it been larger. I believe that the place even had softened water. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was an outdoor pool which was closed for the season. They had a small exercise room and another room with a washer and dryer in "new" condition. I'd reccomend this to anyone willing to pay for it. I just wish it had been closer to say $100 and it would have been a good value. The Knights Inn across the street would probably have suited us fine at around $60 a night but I didn't want to take a chance after the experience with the Riverview.

Good Luck travelers and Enjoy Elmira/Horseheads/Watkins Glen

• Liked — Comfortable bed at Holiday Inn Express
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't Stay at the Holiday Inn Riverview Elmira
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads? Share your experiences!