“Decent hotel for the area.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Horseheads
Toronto, Canada
“Decent hotel for the area.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times now as I pass through the area, and each time I've been relatively satisfied. As I've learned the hard way that not all Holiday Inn Express' are created equal, I'm pleased to say that this one isn't bad at all. The rooms are consistently clean and appointed, and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. There's not much in terms of restaurants or things to do within walking distance, but a quick 10 minute drive will solve that, as there are plenty of options for food and shopping nearby. My only complaint if I have to find something is the free wifi. The signal is very weak at best, and it's not uncommon to have no signal at all for 10 minutes at a time. Other than that, this hotel is a safe bet, and I'm sure if my travels have me through this area again, I'll be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear dave2step,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding our friendly staff and clean rooms. We are sorry your stay was negatively affected by the internet services you received that was less than satisfactory. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Thank you again for bringing the details of your stay to our attention. We hope to see you again soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
West Seneca, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for two nights Memorial weekend 2013 for a softball tournament. Although the hotel was VERY close to both softball fields, was very disappointed at price of $150/night. Perhaps it was the holiday weekend rate. When asked for a hospitality room to accomodate pizza for dinner for the team, we were told they weren't designed for that kind of event. The rooms were uncomfortably warm - was told since we were still in "winter" they haven't switched over to summer air yet. Couldn't sleep with windows open because literaly was right next to the highway and we were on the first floor. Breakfast was awful and refused to go back. Saturday was very cold out - it never got above 50 degrees. Upon return of playing softball all day, there was a staff member washing down all the pool chairs - in a winter jacket and winter hat on..the pool was not heated so swimming wasn't an option unless you were part polar bear. Very disappointed all around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear DaughnQ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We welcome any comments that we receive as it is truly the only way we know how well we are doing or, as in this case; any issues that need to be addressed with our staff or management. I would like to apologize for the way you were made to feel when inquiring about space for your team’s dinner that evening after you had returned from the softball fields. We host several teams throughout the year that utilize our meeting space and we are usually able to accommodate their requests with advance notice to ensure we have the proper space available for them. I assure you that we have addressed your concerns with the staff that was present on this evening. I would also like to apologize that swimming was not an option due to the cool temperatures during the opening weekend of our outdoor pool. We always try to anticipate our guest’s needs and your comments will be helpful to better allow us to. I would welcome the opportunity to have you back with us to show you the attention and care that is typical from our staff. Please let me personally know the next time you are in our area. Thank you again for providing us with your comments so we may continue to improve upon our guest service.
Napierville,qc,Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked 3 rooms at this hotel for two nights and i was very surprise how much it was even if we are quite close to the highway. The place was clean. The only small issue i have is that there should be a fan in the bathroom, but you forget about that when you go for breakfeast one of the best i had.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hi Blad824!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor! Thank you for complimenting our housekeeping and breakfast room staff; I'll be sure to pass along your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again!

Guest Service Manager
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I purchased this night via Price Line as my two children and I were traveling for Thanksgiving and just needed a place to sleep between two long days in the car. I didn't get to read the reviews here until after Price Line had chosen the hotel for me and I won't make that mistake again. My primary issue is that they don't allow for air conditioning or even a fan in the room during the winter months. The room was stifling hot and the sign on the wall indicated that our only option was to open a window. We were on the first floor with the parking lot immediately outside our window. I did not feel safe leaving the window open while we slept so I got up repeatedly during the night to open the window for a few minutes just so we could sleep. It was brutal. I travel a lot for work and I've never seen this policy before. I don't know if it's specific to HIE chains but I will never stay at another one as this policy clearly demonstrates to me that they have absolutely no regard for guest safety. Their lack of commitment to guest experience is, in my opinion, highlighted by the canned response that the manager keeps placing under the positive feedback on this site. Honestly, after staying at this hotel, I find it difficult to imagine that all the 4 and 5 rated reviews are sincere.

The room was a decent size. The "free" wireless is non-existent. The carpet was dirty, discolored and there was popcorn or something that I could see under the dresser once I laid in bed, so not a great job with the vaccuum. The bathroom is tiny (though the shower head and water pressure were good). The breakfast looks promising but the food is really not good tasting.

Room Tip: My best tip for choosing a good room is to stay somewhere else. If you find you HAVE TO stay here, I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Penny C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear casualtraveler2008,

Thank you for your open and honest comments from your recent stay with us. I assure you we do look at each comment that is posted and respond to each one individually. I am disappointed to hear your stay with us left you feeling dissatisfied. I would very much appreciate you sending us your email address with the specific details of your concerns so we can plan to avoid future dissatisfaction and to meet your expectations next time you visit us. Again, I would like to apologize and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe we can only improve our services through our guest feedback.

We are looking forward to receiving further details in regards to your recent stay as well as welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Horseheads.

Guest Service Manager
HI Express Horseheads
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed the evening of 11/16/12. Upon fiinding our room, we realized we were right next door to the side entrance of hotel. At first I did not like the idea but, it turned out to be really quiet. The hotel was up to date in its furnishings and it was tastefully decorated with displays of area attractions. Our hotel room was VERY clean both from a look standpoint and it smelled clean. It was nicely decorated and as I said before, it was quiet. The following morning we went to the continental breakfast and it was more like a full breakfast without ordering from a waiter. It had everything you could ask for; fresh fruits, bagels, eggs, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, yogurts, and much more. The hotel was conveniently located rigjht off the highway and easy to located. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Spangaroo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. Your kind words are a huge part of why we do what we do and why we always strive for guest satisfaction. Our staff will be delighted to know they made a lasting impression on you and please, do not be a stranger. See you again soon and have a great day.

Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was very convenient to both Corning and Ithaca, both of which we visited while in the area. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. I love the showerheads in the Holiday Inn Express bathrooms. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were flat. They had five pillows on the bed, but I was still sorry I hadn't brought my own. There was no loft to any of the pillows.

We heard no noise from other people staying at the hotel, only from traffic on the nearby interstate. There are plenty of restaurants and stores in the vicinity, but we ate breakfast at the hotel each morning. They have a nice selection of food and an especially large breakfast room with lots of tables, so you don't need to sit on a windowsill and balance your plate on your knees to eat.

I would stay there again should we ever get back up that way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for choosing HI Express Horseheads for your overnight needs. It is always a nice feeling when someone takes the time to compliment the hard work and dedication that our staff shows in their everyday roles. We are continually striving to provide accommodations and service that exceed our guest’s expectations and it’s nice to hear that we have done that for you. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again the next time you are in town.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here last night, the 8th October on one of our 700 motels rooms in 700 nights! My husband is running around the world at the moment so this was where he 'stopped running'! He's a bit of a Forrest Gump!

When I arrived to ask about the room rate it was way out of our budget. We were directed to check out two other local motels which were The Lark Inn & Knight’s Inn! Don’t bother, I’ll save you the time – you’ll come straight back to Holiday Inn!!!

The staff on the front desk were very helpful & ended up giving us the room at a great rate as the run my husband is doing is also a charity run. So 'thanks' Holiday Inn for your support & the fab rate…. every little help counts!

Our room 107 was very comfortable & very clean. There’s a fridge & microwave if needed. There is a local restaurant across the road (across the busy highway) but I used the microwave & cooked instead. Had the restful night’s sleep in incredibly comfortable beds! The bath there was lovely, deep and long & I enjoyed having a glass of red and reading my kindle! The breakfast room is well set out & spotlessly clean; very well managed.

The Internet doesn’t work well at all in room 107. Both of our computers kept dropping out in the middle of work! When our frustration peaked, I phoned reception I was told that nobody else had complained & that they were not experiencing any difficulties at the office either. I was disappointed with the disinterest shown from whoever that staff member was. I was directed to phone the Internet help line, which dropped out three times so I gave up!

Room Tip: If you require good internet connection, check with staff first which rooms would have a faster conn...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Penny C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a nice feeling when someone takes the time to compliment the hard work and dedication that our staff shows in their everyday roles. We are continually striving to provide accommodations and service that exceed our guest’s expectations and it’s nice to hear that we have done that for you. Thank you again for the kind words and we look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us next time you are in town. Many well wishes to your husband as he continues his quest of running around the world!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads? Share your experiences!