“Stay was fine but hangover from checkout was not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Horseheads
Hampshire, UK
“Stay was fine but hangover from checkout was not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel, as other have said, is clean and airy as one would expect from a newly opened hotel and the bed was lovely. About the building and amenities there is nothing bad to say and we felt that the breakfast was hot (where necessary), fresh and tasty with enough choice and variety.
However there were a few niggles- a heavy marble plinth in the bathroom had come 'unstuck' and was just resting on the ledge between the sink and lavatory. I understand this may have been a new problem but we noticed it straight away.
Secondly, we asked the receptionist if we could use the laundry room and how to go about doing so. We were told the machines took quarters but that reception couldn't give any change from the dollar bill I went to hand over. So I went to the Walmart nearby and got change for a dollar. Then I found that a dollar wasn't enough to use the machine so had to trek over to Walmart again- i would have thought that when I asked how to use the washing machine and tried to swap a dollar that the receptionist would have told me that I would need a minimum of $1.50 to do just a wash.
The other thing was that our card, which was given purely for incidentals, was charged. We had pre-paid for the room and were disappointed to find we had been double charged. After speaking to the manager this is hopefully being sorted and a refund issued but it was a hassle we could have done without on our holiday and there was no apology given for the inconvenience caused.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Teri T, Operations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Hafe86,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and feedback about your stay.

I have shared your feedback about the laundry room and checkout with our team and we are using your comments to improve our operation to ensure future guests don't experience the same frustrations as you recently did.

Please reach out if you have more to share and more importantly please let me know if there is still a pending charge and we need to take more action.

If your travels bring you back to our area please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back-and we would love to hear from you again...our goal is to exceed your expectations!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We tend to be snobby about hotels and straying outside of large cities, I must admit. So we were nervous about heading upstate and venturing outside our beloved Starwood brand. After this trip, I think we have expanded our horizons considerably. We arrived very late at night with our carsick kid weeping and the first relief was the 24 hour laundry room. As we'd read here, everything is brand new and we loved the colorful and modern aesthetic. Everything felt clean and nice and the beds were comfortable. The room was huge (it was a handicapped-accessible room) and had everything we needed, including the refrigerator and microwave. We took a few breakfast items to our room the next morning and the spread seemed pretty good (we were pretty late, so it may have been better if we'd been up earlier). We were also pleased with the location, which worked out well for us to get to the nearby Target for a few things we needed (there is a Wal-Mart across the parking lot, but the Target is only about 3 minutes away). Overall, a really good experience and we will seek out the brand again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Teri T, Operations Manger at Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Bsawg,

I'm thrilled to hear we were able to accommodate your recent trip upstate! I hope while in the area you enjoyed all the wonderful Finger Lakes have to offer and if not I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another trip!

The Marriott Brand has several different options all designed to make our travelers stay enjoyable, comfortable, and we personally look to exceed your expectations!

Thank you for taking your time to share your stay with our future guests-I greatly appreciate your comments and feedback.

Please remember, when traveling in the area again it would be our honor to host you!

Warm Regards,
Dix Hills, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The bed and the room were great. The staff generally very friendly. Quite clean.

My first knock is that we stayed there 5 nights and they were out of shampoo and body soap the entire time.

Secondly the complimentary breakfast (a big part of my decision to stay there) was poor. They were slow in refilling empty chafing dishes (scrambled eggs and sausages), the juice was unacceptably watered down, they ran out of hardboiled eggs after two days and never replaced them, the waffle maker was constantly getting messed up by people who didn't know how to use it and it took long periods for someone to get around to cleaning it. Also they were slow to clean up spills around the buffet area and the overstuffed garbage can caused people to precariously pile their waste on top of the growing pile or just leave it at there table.

Finally, feather pillows offered and promised when the reservation was made were not in the room at check in and had to be requested.

Dear Gary,

I apologize for your recent experience at our new hotel, I can't imagine your disappointment with us. I do thank you for sharing your details and I have already shared them with my entire team-we are using your comments as learning opportunities and will not allow others to have the same experience you recently encountered.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally at the hotel (607-739-9200) and we can talk about your stay-I would like to make this right by you.

I do hope if traveling in the area again you will give us another try-we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and welcome you the right way, with a stay that exceeds your expectations!

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed in numerous Fairfield Inns but this has to be one of the nicest! It is very new and super clean. The staff does need some training on providing tourist tips such as a local restaurant list than can be passed out (all they have is a notebook to leaf through). The rooms are small but very up to date. The walk in shower was a great treat. Breakfast was a typical Fairfield breakfast, lacking a lot of healthier options. But is is free, so one can't really complain too much. That did overcharge for the very small containers of ice cream available in the Market - $4.00 a piece - for a 1/2 cup of ice cream is a bit highway robbery, even if it is Ben & Jerry's .

Room Tip: If you need a rollaway, you will be insight quarters in a King size room
Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our BRAND NEW Fairfield Inn & Suites! We appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and share with our future guests.

The new showers are awesome and add a much more spa like feeling to the bathroom-great new spec by Marriott! The king suites do have a full size pullout sofa bed which really helps with the room a rollaway takes up...food for thought on your next stay!

I will look into the pricing of our market items-we want them to be affordable for all interested and a $4.00 ice cream is truly not, you are very right...thank you for sharing!

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its location and I happened to have the points to cover the night so I didn’t have much in the way of expectations. We were driving to Niagara and this was about the half-way point. We arrived a little after midnight and were greeted promptly at the front desk and were on our way to the room in moments. I didn’t catch the clerk’s name but she was very friendly and efficient.

From the outside the hotel isn’t much to look at, it’s literally in the center of a shopping mall but the inside is in phenomenal shape. I don’t know if it was recently built or recently renovated but the lobby and hallways were all stylish, new and had a very modern look and feel. It was much nicer than we were expecting.

The guest rooms had that same vibe with contemporary furnishings and bold colors. Everything was immaculately clean. The only oddity we found was in the refrigerator. There was a carton of milk that I’m guessing a previous guest left. It wasn’t opened or expired but was a little surprising to find.

The continental breakfast was well stocked and the folks managing it were very outgoing, making sure we had anything we could want. Like the rest of the hotel, the dining and lounging areas were filled with contemporary furniture that made for some interesting eating spaces. The breakfast didn’t offer a huge selection, if you’ve stayed at Hampton’s this was about 60-70% of the breakfast you find there. I feel a bit silly criticizing a free breakfast and don’t want to give the wrong impression, we were all able to find things we enjoyed.

We were all pretty impressed with the hotel and if I ever head up that way again and need to spend the night I’d definitely stay again. It would also make a great base if you wanted a nice hotel to stay at while visiting Corning or the local museums.

Room Tip: There aren't any great views to be had here… the front looks out on a Men’s Warehouse and the ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DanHanLan,

Thank you very much for your time to share your recent stay with our future guests. I appreciate your attention to details and listing them out for future readers...your descriptions are wonderful.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed our guest service and hospitality, we work hard to meet and exceed all our guests' expectations...

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon-I hope your travels find you in our area again!

NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

When we booked this hotel it was so new there were no reviews, but we've been to new Fairfield Inns before and had some nice visits. This one did not disappoint either. Room was very nice, though a bit small. Pool was nice (except for the powerful chlorine in the air). Breakfast was very good (and crowded). The location is also great. Forget something? Walk over to Wal-Mart. Hungry? Walk over to Cracker Barrel. Overall, was located in a nice new mall. We stayed here one night, and then went up to Watkins Glen, which was a nice 17 mile drive North.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for giving us a review on the trip advisor page. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope that the next time you are in the area that you give us a call, and choose to stay with us again.

Thank you!
Fort Thomas, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice hotel in a convenient location to the interstate. We stayed on our way to Boston. There are many nearby restaurants and shops within walking distance of the hotel (Wal Mart, Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, etc.). Hotel clean, delicious continental breakfast. Indoor pool is great for the kids, but there is no hot tub. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip through the area. We appreciate the kind words and the recommendation to other travelers. I hope that the next time you're in the area that you would choose to stay with us again.

Thank you!

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning? Share your experiences!