“Excellent hotel, good people” 5 of 5 stars

Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 de Mayo # 117, Col. Centro, Queretaro 76000, Mexico   |
Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Queretaro
Austin, Texas
“Excellent hotel, good people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here December 28, 2007-January 2, 2008.

Our introduction to the staff was the bellman saving my laptop.

We arrived late in the evening. It was dark in the street. Unloading the taxi my laptop in its black leather case was accidentally overlooked in the trunk. The cab pulled away before I inventoried the bags on the cart. Seeing the laptop was missing, I mentioned it to the bellman who took off like a shot! Fortunately the street was crowded with traffic, so he was able to catch up to the cab a couple of blocks down the street. He returned with the laptop, beaming.

The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished, the baths large and clean. The pool is very nice--it was warm enough during the day to lounge beside it in swim suits.

My daughter had a 2 1/2 hour spa session, and enthused about it for the rest of our stay.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of fruits, baked goods and eggs to order. Hand made tortillas were available on request. My only complaint--true of many other upscale venues in Mexico--was the near impossibility of getting hot peppers in my huevos a la Mexicana!

Queretaro is a beautiful city, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The people are friendly, there are plenty of good restaurants, and the New Years celebration attracts people from all over Mexico.

My daughter had a case to prosecute on the morning of Jan 2 back in Texas. The only flight was at 6:15 AM on Jan 1. She arranged with the English speaking young woman at the desk for a taxi. The price quoted seemed outrageously expensive, but it was the only choice--and it was early in the morning of New Year's Day. I was asked for cash in advance. The hotel vouched for the chauffeur.

At 1:30 AM the taxi arrived as arranged. It seemed ridiculously early for a half-hour trip to the airport, but again it was the only choice. After bidding my daughter goodbye (I was going on to Yucatan) I sat in my room for while catching up with my e-mail--fairly good Wi-Fi.

A half hour later the phone rang. It was the cab driver. He spoke little English, my daughter little Spanish. Fortunately my Spanish is serviceable. After talking to the cab driver for a few minutes, the confusion came to light. He thought he was taking her to the Mexico City airport, 120 miles away!

When my daughter and the cab driver got back to the hotel, they called me and I went to the desk where the night manager was on the phone to the general manager.

After a fairly long conversation, which the night manager knew i could follow, he turned to me. "This confusion is our fault. We misunderstood your daughter's request. We will return all your money, but the cab driver has already spent $25 for gasoline and food. We will return the $25 to you in the morning. Since we have caused you all this trouble, we will pay for your daughter's fare to the Queretaro airport. Please accept our apologies."

I replied that he was "muy amable" and went back to bed. Next morning there was no mention of the $25, but I said nothing.

When I checked out at 5 AM on Jan 2, I was walking away from the desk when the young woman said, "Please wait, sir, we owe you $25!"

I thanked her for the money and got in the cab. At the airport I asked the driver how much I owed him. He told me the hotel had taken care of it.

For Mexico this is an expensive hotel. But its accommodations, spa and staff are top notch. They represent the best of the great Mexican spirit of hospitality that I have experienced over more than 50 years of frequent travel to the country.

RNJ

• Liked — Staff and accommodations
  • Disliked — Slow Internet access at times
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

Didn't spend the night there. Went to the front desk, there were rooms available but they were $2000 pesos (about $190) per night. We asked the young man at the desk about cheaper hotels nearby, and he spent about 20 minutes calling all over the city trying to find us a cheaper room. Unbelievable - whether we stayed there or not, he was determined to please us. From what we saw, the place was gorgeous, and right in the historic center of Queretaro. After seeing the hotel and having this experience we definitely intend to stay there.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa

Address: 5 de Mayo # 117, Col. Centro, Queretaro 76000, Mexico
Location: Mexico > Central Mexico and Gulf Coast > Queretaro > Queretaro
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Spa Hotel in Queretaro
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Dona Urraca Hotel Queretaro
Dona Urraca Hotel And Spa

If you own or manage Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.