“Probably the best hostel of my trip” 5 of 5 stars

Casa San Gallito Hostel
Hidalgo 47 | Centro Historico, Queretaro 76000, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 32 Queretaro B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Probably the best hostel of my trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

One of the best of the 20 hostels during my trip. Very spacious rooms, great common areas, excellent location, always clean, great kitchen, good breaky, friendly staff, fast wi-fi. Just 3-4 blocks from the center, with many inexpensive restaurants for those on a budget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I was directed to this place by the receptionist at Meson de Santa Clara (no longer a hostel as stated in L.P Mexico 08 by the way).

The dorms had some nice touches like all the bottom bunks had curtains around them so it almost felt like you had your own little room. Each bed had it´s own lamp, mini fan and even a little shelf! Something I´ve never seen anywhere before.

There were a number of sitting areas and a lounge with tv, computers, books and lots of nice little touches like ornaments and a globe. Breakfast is included in the price (sugary cereal/juice, coffee, bread and spreads). Although I think 160 was a little steep for a dorm bed.

The shower set up may not be to everyone´s liking. There are not actual individual cubicles but just shower curtains seperating the showers. This doesn´t give much privacy and may not be to everyone´s liking. There were however a couple of ´changing cupboards´ in which to change.

One other minor negative was the birds in small cages in the courtyard. Something I personally do not like to see.

Overall though this is an excellent choice whilst in Queretaro. Although if your time is limited I would skip this city in favour of Guanajuato and Zacatecas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Queretaro, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Dear “Casa San Gallito“!

you´re the best hostel I´ve stayed in!! I´m enjoying my stay here very much and feel like at home!
Arturo (the owner) is a super nice person! He is very friendly, always in a good mood and loves to help his guests with anything, really! No matter when I see Arturo he is always up for a short conversations and he always has a good joke on his mind!

“San Gallito“ is a very sweet place to stay. It has everything a traveler needs. I´ve stayed in hostels where they didn´t offer towels to their guests, where the didn´t have toilet paper and so on... Arturo offers all that to his guests and even more... every bed has a little lamp, a fan and some outlets (for electronic devices like Lap Top). The lower beds even have curtains for more privacy (I´ve never seen that before!). The showers have shampoo so that you don´t have to bring yours. You can wash your clothes. There is free internet, free water to drink all day and free breakfast in the morning.

The kitchen is very tidy and the hostal in general is very, very, very clean (I wanna emphasize that we´re in Mexico... cleanness is not so common here. haha).
There is an extra dorm for the ladies which Arturo showed me. It is beautiful how he created and arranged all these nice little things in his hostal!
I felt very comfortable and safe here. Arturo put so much work and so much “heart“ in this place so that the atmosphere of it got really nice!!!

All in all I want to recommend “Casa San Gallito“ to you traveler dudes! It´s been a pleasure to stay here in Querétaro with Arturo! You will have an awesome stay here! I´m sure!

All the best to you Arturo and thank you very much!

Your friend Johannes

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Green Cove Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

This hostel is quite different from most. From the moment I arrived, I was made to feel like a treasured member of the family. The common areas include a HUGE eat-in kitchen that is totally equipped, and an even HUGER living room with multiple sitting areas, cable TV with English channels, and a library. The expansive common areas make it a pleasure to work on their high-speed Internet.

The second floor is a female area only, which I really appreciated, and even here there is a lovely common area with upholstered chaises. My room was a two-bed dorm, but since it was low season, I had the room all to myself; there is also a second female dorm room with, I think, 8 beds. Additional mixed dorms are located on the ground floor. The hostel is squeaky clean, soft towels are provides, and the showers even have huge bottles of body soap provided. On the day when I needed to do laundry, I asked if they had laundry service and was taken to their personal laundry room and allowed free use, with them insisting it was just another service they were happy to provide. I was astounded.

The hostel is located just a couple of blocks from one of the main squares and is within easy distance of everything worth seeing in the historic district. When it was time to leave, they helped me figure out which sights in the State of Queretaro to visit. There is no question that when I am in Queretaro, I will stay here again. It really is a hidden gem!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

I just wanted to say what a wonderful place Casa San Gallito is. The minute you arrive you feel welcome by its great staff, who will do everything to make you feel this way. Hostel is clean and comfortable. They’ve really thought about everything: The kitchen, bathrooms, locker room, the movies, the great decoration details, etc. There’s a lot of free stuff (which is not common this days): breakfast, internet, coffee… By the way: Queretaro is a great beautiful city!!!! I’ll be back next year for 15 days and I’m obviously staying with my good friends at San Gallito.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

easy to find ... rigth in the middle of the town.. very well decorated and personal atenttion ...by owners....!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

I have been in Queretaro for a couple of days. Unfortunately I stayed only three nights in Casa San Gallito (before I have been in two other posadas).

The staff was pretty friendly and willing to help me in everything I needed! I also liked the rooms as they are very clean and every bed has some kind of carpet around it for more privacy. Additionally the hostel offers an impressive ammount of dvd´s.

Overmore the hostel has a good breakfast (for example Froot Loops or Chocos and not only the normal Cornflakes ;P) and wifi what is quiete important for me as a long- time- traveler.

All in all it was one of the best hostels i´ve stayed in Mexico... rices are fair and the hostel is good located- anytime again;) !

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Casa San Gallito Hostel? Share your experiences!