“Nice motel in downtown Hornell” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maple City Inn

You added Maple City Inn to your Saves list
Maple City Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Canisteo Sq., Hornell, NY 14843 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hornell
New York City, New York
“Nice motel in downtown Hornell”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in this Comfort Inn. The motel is in downtown Hornell (maybe the only chain motel located downtown), other motels are located just north near I-86. I had no problems at all in this motel. Check-in was very quick & easy. The room was exactly what I reserved. I booked the room on the internet using Comfort Inn's website, and the special request was honored! I give this motel 2 thumbs up.

The motel was quiet, inside & out during my Labor Day weekend stay. Some people on Trip Advisor complained about noise from the nearby trains that pass through town. My room was on the railroad end of the building, and unless you really listen for them, you will not notice them. I had my window open, and A/C / heater off. They didn't wake me up, if in fact they did pass during the night. It doesn't seem to be a busy rail line. I only saw one train pass around 10pm.

There are no restaurants within walking distance of this motel. Burger King is the closest, other eateries can be found 5-minutes up the road near the newer part of town near I-86. I would stay here again, and recommend this motel to others, although I paid around $100.00 for one night, which I felt was kind of steep for the area, but it was near the attraction that I was visiting the next day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Suzthorp, General Manager at Maple City Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your experience at our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we welcome you back any time your travels bring you to our area!
Suzanne Thorp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
East Northport, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

1. No elvators to get you and your luggage to the 2nd floor.
2. Place is laid out like an old train station - every room seems a huige distance from the lobby.
3. Card Keys seem to only stay set for one day even on multi day stays - on 2 visits all our cards died after 1 day.
4. Bath towels are almost big enough to be used as hand towels. Hand towels are a bit big to use as washcloths.
5. Shower head very cheap. An extra buck or two would result in a much better shower.
6. Shower curtain not long enough (width) so if you pull to front to cover a gap, the back end pulls way open.
7. TV's so old they belong in a museum.
8.. Wifi extremely slow (my 3g phone3 is much faster) and unsecured so you are sharing whatever you send back and forth (except https: pages) with anyone who cares to listen.
9. No wired internet access.
10. No where near enough handicapped parking spaces and no one checks to be sure that cars in the spaces belong there.
11. Some areas at far doors have poor lighting.
12. Remote doors have no key or card key access once locked in the evening. It's a very far walk to the front door to then walk back, maybe prop open the door and carry your luggage in and up.
13. Breakfast inconsistent. Juices ok, so are waffles. Good yogurt selection. Mystery cold cereals. Fruit cup looks like it came from a bad high school cafeteria. Only a little hot food put out at a time so one may need to wait. One morning we had sausage. The next was 'ham'. They looked identical. No bacon seen.
14, Overall, very nice staff. They do seem frustrated that the place is so badly built and run down.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Suzthorp, General Manager at Maple City Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
I apologize for your impression of our hotel. True, we do not have an elevator, but we've got some great staff that would be happy to help you with your luggage. All staff, myself included- can be seen grabbing a suitcase or bag, just to lend a hand up our one flight of stairs. We take great pride in our hospitality and understand that people willing to give their very best, day or night- is paramount in the service industry. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further, we sure would like the opportunity to give us another try.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We arrived at this hotel at 12:30am and the front desk clerk was as cheery as if it was in the middle of the day. There was a Gus Macker tournament that weekend in town and so the hotel was booked solid, and there were lots of kids around. The front desk had us sign a quiet hours agreement, which we glady did. I think this helped the rest of the guests maintain a good noise volume as we had no trouble with people and noise in the hallways.

The hotel room was very spacious, lots of room, table and chairs, and a king sized bed. Bathroom was clean and large. The room was very clean and furniture/linens all were well taken care of.

In the morning, both my husband and I could hear the people above us walking around as they got ready. We did not hear the trains that other reviewers mentioned.

Breakfast was ok (waffles, yogurt, cereal, bagels, danishes, coffee) but there wasn't any open seating for us available (due to the large number of kids getting breakfast at the same time, on their way to the basketball tournament).

We were just passing through on the way to a destination further, so I can't comment on the surrounding area or restaurants as we did not really venture from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Suzthorp, General Manager at Maple City Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel & accommodations. We are glad that you took the time to provide this great detailed review. We are fortunate to have a great team here at the Comfort Inn of Hornell, NY & we thank you for mentioning that they are bright-eyed & welcoming even to those arriving in the late evening hours. Handling big events such as the Gus Macker Tournament takes complete commitment to guest satisfaction, by all of our employees, thus the "quiet hours agreement"- and we are glad that this 'little-extra' is a continued success and that you mention this. It makes us feel great that we're doing the things that our guests appreciate!
We hope your travels will bring you along our route again in the future.
Thank you again for taking the time to share with us!
Barrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We had a family reunion/65th wedding anniversary celebration in Hornell and chose to stay at the Comfort Inn. We had 8 rooms. We loved the facility and would recommend it to anyone! We loved the pool, the queen-sized beds, the delux breakfast, internet access, and especially the friendly service. We enjoyed being able to use the lobby/breakfast area to socialize with one another. Suzanne and Colleen were super helpful and went above what we had expected. Our housekeeper, Kari, was delightful. We had such a great time that we plan to be there again for a night in August.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for those very kind words of praise. We very much appreciate you taking the time to review our accommodations & service so that others will know they can expect the same level of service. I will personally share this review with each staff member you have mentioned here. It was our pleasure having you & your family with us. We enjoyed you all and look forward to seeing you again real soon!
Yigo, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed one night in Hornell. This is a beautiful little town and we really enjoyed the Comfort Inn. The room was very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The staff was very customer friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We were 3 hours away from pre-booked luxury hotel when we had to stop earlier. This was the only hotel with a pool, so we booked it. The hostess at the desk, Salli, was remarkable -- Midwesternally nice -- and set us up with all the other unique amenities from this hotel: popcorn, cookies, 360 DVDs, breakfast, tons of restaurant menus, and so on. I would have happily paid $75 more for the room and service we got.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Suzthorp, General Manager at Maple City Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Thank you for your kind words of praise for our amenities & hotel staff. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That is why it is particularly rewarding to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, and our hospitality! Again, thank you so much for your feedback, we look forward to seeing you again!
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Overall, an above average budget hotel. I was traveling on business and the rooms are clean. There are plenty of TV channels and the rooms come with a min fridge and microwave. The hotel is off the main road of Hornell. The only complaint of the location is that there is train station close by. The staff are top notch and if you are new to staying here they give you a gift bag. I would like to see a second gift bag for returning guests, but I guess beggars cannot be choosers! The free breakfast is average, but is nice - typical continental fare - fruit, breads, juice and a waffle iron. I would stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel & your compliments! We strive to provide an excellent stay to all of our guests, every time! Sounds like you will be returning to our hotel if you are in our area. Here are some great tips we'd love to share: If you are bothered by the train that runs through Hornell during your sleeping hours, just mention this to our front desk agents upon your arrival....We've learned that there are ways to assist, such as offering you a room in a specific area, providing you with a "sleep kit" which includes, a sound machine with soothing settings, a small fan for "white noise", ear plugs and more! We are commited to your satisfaction & excel in our creative approach to making your stay a comfortable one.
Thank you again for your review!
Suzanne Thorp

Been to Maple City Inn? Share your experiences!