“Wonderful setting, excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kiambi Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lower Zambezi National Park
Kiambi Safari Lodge
You added Kiambi Safari Lodge to your Saves list
P.O. BOX 360073, Lower Zambezi National Park, Zambia   |
Nottingham
“Wonderful setting, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in August. The setting was gorgeous, right on the river and the ambiance and food was outstanding. We had a wonderful boat safari and enjoyed an amazing day canoeing on the river, stopping off for lunch at a secluded part of the river, where a table land chairs had been set up for us and delicious food prepared. The highlight of our trip was camping overnight on a secluded sandbank where the only sound was noisy hippos talking to each other. An unforgettable experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lusaka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

its a beautiful scenery, especially the confluence where the two rivers meet.
also wonderful staff and manager always on site, making sure everything is going on well on site.
its the best place to be for a perfect vacation.
Mercy

Room Tip: the chalet right in front of the river offers a good scenery of the Zambezi river
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I just spent the weekend at Kiambi and this was my third stay at the lodge. I would like to commend Janine and Jimmy for their considerate service!
I have never had any issues when staying at the lodge- twice in the tented chalets and just recently in the executive room.
On all three occassions the rooms were clean which is really a bonus when you've been to lodges that don't take as much pride in their cleanliness as they do at Kiambi. In the executive air con room we also had the full Dstv bouquet which was an added bonus to help occupy a 3yr old!
Admittedly my steak was a little too rare for me one evening, but that is just a preference and can be rectified by requesting it to be put back on the fire. And one night out of all the times I have been there my shower was cold. However I understand it is the "bush" and these are things to expect when coming to Africa. This however has never happened again. The bonus of being in Africa and staying at a lodge such as Kiambi is the all the elephants and other wildlife we got to see when on boat ride safari!
Most importantly for me was the immediate, diplomatic and pleasant response from both Janine and Jimmy when I had to lodge a compliant against a very child un friendly and rude client. They were attentive and considerate as well as objective when addressing the matter.
Aside from that the lodge is clean with a spectacular view and the staff are friendly and ready to assist if needed.
Will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I had a short but very enjoyable stay at Kiambi. It is situated on a beautiful bend in the river and had a relaxing vibe with incredible sunsets. The boat rides are great and the evening cruises are memorable with elephants walking by and hippo sightings. This staff were friendly and helpful. I didn't choose to stay in a luxury chalet but they offer a wide range of options depending on your needs. While not super fancy, I found it clean and comfortable, with all the amenities I needed to enjoy my stay. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights at Kiambi Safari lodge from 02 June 2013 until 07 June 2013 and regret ever going there. We had a terrible experience. First on being collected at Lusaka airport, the driver was obviously having to rush, (dangerously so), to try to get to the Kafue pontoon before it closed at 18:00hrs. We never made the pontoon, so arrived in darkness by boat onto a jetty which was neither lit nor easy to walk up in the dark. The "luxury tent" we were intially given, was not very clean and the tent itself was stained and had some rips in the fabric by the door. The doors have no locks, so you are unsure if you will still have all your possessions by the end of the trip. The first tent was located closest to the bar area, and we had disturbed sleep due to the sound of the drinks cooler cabinet working all night. We asked to move and the next tent was little better. We had to ask for a mosquito net, which when supplied had holes that we had to tape up with elastoplast. The floors of the tents were never washed and you could feel the grit on the floor. Lunch and dinner were what they had prepared for you and if you did not like it, you had no further choice as this was all there was. The staff, whilst pleasant, were pretty clueless and at breakfast we had to remind the one guy serving what we wanted and on more than one occasion he had forgotten some cutlery. The first two evening meals were reasonable, but nothing more than that and on the third night we had to complain as the potatoes were hard and totally undercooked. This was met with no word of an apology, but just blank looks and a silent taking away of the plate. The following morning, my wife asked for hard-boiled eggs and these arrived totally runny and again undercooked. That lunch, after having complained to the manager about the level of service, they prepared a steak for us both, which was again a bit on the raw side, (we had asked for medium to well-done). In the night both my wife and I came down with diarrhoea and sickness and to make matters worse, we had only been given one toilet roll, so I ended up going out in the dead of night to obtain more toliet roll from the communal toliets, (the locks on some of the toliet doors do not work). We asked to move into a chalet, (which they agreed to) and whilst an improvement on the tent situation, was again not particulary clean. The foor in particular was very dirty, or at least had not been washed in some time. The shower almost burned you as it was either far too hot or cold. The showers in the tents were both feeble and would gradually give up after a few mintues requiring much coaxing to get some water.
Clearly, this place is simply not up to standard and certainly does not warrant the title "luxury". The place appears to be barely hanging on as for the first night were were there, we were the only guests staying. Much of the lodge seems well past it's best and nobody seems to notice things like bottle tops and the odd bottle left around. One piece of litter by the pool was never picked up in the whole time we were there. The staff, (again whilst trying to put on a brave face and who were by and large friendly), seem pretty demoralised and on one accasion, when I went to the bar to order a drink, I had to wake up the bar-man who was fast asleep, (which I felt guilty about).
To sum up, the lodge is, (in my opinion), badly run and poorly maintained. It is also not well sighted in so much as you can clearly hear vehicles, (mainly trucks), in the distance, presumably on their way to Chirundu. Also dogs barking and cockrels crowing make for a less then relaxing experience. We left Kiambi wishing we had never stayed there and it spolied our holiday. Never again !!!
Who are those people who have reviewed this place awesome? If this is your second home vampire 69, then i pity you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've been three times in Kiambi, one time camping, one time self catering and the last time the luxury tented chalet. All of the times we had a great time. The view is stunning, the staff and host is very friendly and cooperative and at our thirth time they did us a wonderful favor by upgrading our accomodation for the same price. We would really recommend the sunset cruise, you get the most fantastic views and it's so quiet and amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lusaka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just came back from Kiambi and what a fantastic time we all had. The service is great, very friendly and helpful staff, rooms are cozy and clean and the food is tantalizing!
A lodge that will do whatever they can to suit your needs and make you have a comfortable and joyful holiday. Thank you Janine and rest of staff for all, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kiambi Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!