“Nice but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Itezhi
“Nice but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We decided to visit tribal textiles on our way home from our trip to flat dogs. I found the actual shop hard to find. The quality of the items was reasonably good but I felt the prices(all in US dollars) were too high.

Visited April 2014
TribalTextiles, Manager at Tribal Textiles, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Shesmoodie,

Thank you very much for visiting Tribal Textiles and I hope you had a wonderful safari in the South Luangwa.

I’m sorry to hear that you struggled to find us. When you visited we had three large painted pillars alongside the road advertising our location; these have now been replaced by two large sign-boards due to road widening. We are 500 metres from the Chipata/Mfuwe T junction and 8 km from Mfuwe Airport heading towards the National Park gate.

I am also sorry that you weren’t able to find something within your price range. We offer a wide variety of products ranging from inexpensive purses and keyrings up to our limited edition beautiful Gallery wall hangings. Each of our unique textiles is carefully hand drawn and hand painted by our team of talented artists.

All of our prices are very carefully calculated and continually reviewed as the cost of doing business in a remote part of Africa fluctuates. The core of our business has always been our amazing artists and we are committed to paying all our staff fair wages, giving them government approved employment contracts and assisting them with housing, transport, health and food production expenses. This does increase the cost of producing our textiles but we believe that supporting our workers is fundamental to our business. In addition, we source all of our raw materials within Africa which is more expensive than sourcing from Asia for example, however this is very important for our environmental policy. Finally, we are lucky enough to be situated in a very remote and beautiful part of Zambia which does mean that overheads are surprisingly high for all businesses situated in our area.

We believe strongly that ethically run, socially responsible and profitable businesses are vital for Zambia’s future. Tribal Textiles has been running successfully and employing local people since 1991, and we are committed to continuing to offer the employment opportunities that we do. To do this we need to make sure that our business is sustainable, just like any company the world over. I hope that this helps to explain more about Tribal Textiles and why our stunning textiles are priced as they are.

Please visit our website and Facebook page to find out more about our activities, community commitments and conservation efforts, or email us for more details.

Many thanks again for visiting us and for your feedback; it is always valuable and helps us to improve.

Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
23 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Designs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have seen various friends with their products but never had the chance to own any. However my trip to the park would not have been complete without stopping here. I spent an age trying to decide what I wanted to buy as the choice was endless and I couldn't afford to bring it all back with me. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely go back again to buy the beautiful bed linen.

Visited November 2013
Exeter GB
4 attraction reviews
“Super designs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Tribal Textiles is a great place to stop if you are travelling between Mfuwe Airport and the main entrance to SL National Park. They produce lovely hand-painted textiles in a huge variety of designs - tablecloths, wall hangings, cushions etc. If you ask they may show you the workshops, which employ many talented local people, and you can buy at very reasonable prices. Many of the local safari lodges use their stuff - all the fabrics in the Treehouse at Flatdogs, for instance, were theirs, in a 'feather' design, and we liked them so much we bought some to take home. There is a craft market on the same site and Tribal have a small shop at Mfuwe airport too.

Visited July 2013