“The most professional Dive Centre I have seen with brilliant diving” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Odyssea Dive

Odyssea Dive
Casa Babi, Vilanculos 1300, Mozambique
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 14 things to do in Vilanculos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive or snorkel on the amazing Bazaruto Archipelago, climb the amazing Dune of Bazaruto, admire one of the best reef in Mozambique, and have a look at the desert paradise of Benguerra.Day trip everyday with our speed boat from Vilanculos.English, Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese spoken.
Jersey, United Kingdom
“The most professional Dive Centre I have seen with brilliant diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were extremely lucky to have chosen Odysea dive in September.
Before leaving for Mozambique we were in touch with Denis and Sabrina who were very quick to respond to all my questions and help in arranging the best possible diving to suit us.
When we arrived, the arrangements were made very clear to us and we were to be picked up on the beach in front of where we were staying. We were picked up right on the button and headed out to the outlying islands for the briefing on the brand new and very well-maintained RIB. We stopped for the briefing before getting kitted up and my confidence continued to rise. Having experienced these briefings in schools in Thailand, Southern Africa, India, Australia and Egypt- The briefing was simply the most professional and clear i have ever experienced (thanks Hugo)- it was made very clear to everyone (group of 4 divers) what the plan was and also what we ought to do in the event we had any issues. It gave my wife particular confidence as she was inexperienced and a little nervous.
The weather wasn’t very good in the week but Denis and Sabrina worked very hard to find us a slot to dive in the week, culminating in generously offering us the chance to go to the reef even though it was just me and my wife. The diving was superb and I would recommend viewing the various youtube videos from Denis (denisodyssea) to get a flavour of the quality (but in many cases doesn’t do it justice, the sheer volume of sea life is flabbergasting). The devil ray cleaning station was a highlight but there were countless friendly and amusing turtles and huge schools of kingfish too.
Afterwards we had a beer at the dive centre which looks like one of the best places to stay in Vilanculos, I am certain that Denis and Sabrina are brilliant hosts and their guest accommodation looks very nice indeed.
A million thanks to Denis, Sabrina and Hugo for our unforgettable experience.

Visited September 2012
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Many thanks, Bobby, so nice to read such a comment, gives us motivation to go on providing the best service!

Regarding our new RIB, it's easy to have "brand new and very well-maintained RIB", I hope to read in a few years "venerable and very well-maintained RIB"...

Regarding the rest, it's a pleasure to deal with such nice guests, and we will definitely come and see you in Jersey... In Summer!

Greetings to Laura

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great Day wit Odyssea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

To sum it up. Perfect diving. Manta Ray. Happy smiles from staff and clients. Forever memories!

We just came back from a 10 day diving trip in Mosambique, we dived various locations and I am happy to report that the diving at Vilankulos, Sao Sebastao, beated the other sites, maybe just luck with good viz, a pod of dolphins and ofcourse the Manta Ray! Odyssea dive centre provided the atmosphere of a smaller more personal intimate dive centre, so different from the bigger dive centres these days, that runs a tight schedule routinely on a daily basis where you really feel like just another diver passing thrue. The local boat crew on Odyssea provided lots of laughter and I just knew with their experience there is very little chance that a Whale Shark or Manta Ray will go unnoticed if in the area.

Diving with Odyssea was a dive trip and whale watching trip in one, with two hour surface interval between the 2 dives, where we where cruising around slowly chatting with the happy Odyssea staff while never stop scanning the water for those amazing huge ocean creatures that hang around in the area.

Thank you friendly Frenchman and staff for a great day!!

Visited July 2012
, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thanks Wilna,

You forgot to say that you called me the "grumpy Frenchman" all day long...

Enjoy Dubai (not too much) and come back!
Sheffield
“Wonderful trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We had a day snorkelling with Odyssea Dive. On this particular day there were no divers booked so we had time to visit some of the beautiful islands as well as going snorkelling. I am not a confident swimmer, although a perfectly adequate one, and had never been snorkelling before. Jeff was excellent at giving me advice on getting started on one of the islands and then giving me the confidence and encouragement to give it a go out on the reef. I will never forget the beautiful fish and coral that I saw at Two Mile Reef. As I was not confident I strayed rather too close to some of the coral and scratched myself quite badly but the two guys on the boat cleaned me up properly and promptly with no fuss. Overall it was a great trip.

Visited April 2012
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Many thanks YorkshireFoody!

I'm proud of my staff, and proud because out of 23 reviews, only 2 of your rates are "excellent" and we are one of these!

I will congratulate Jeff and Gugu for you...

Kind regards,
Denis
Johannesburg
6 attraction reviews
“I had a great time, and I was one of those in the unfortunate incident!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I would just like to thank Sabrina and Denis, Hugo and Maddy for the great time we had using Odyssea. I went on 4 great dives and my wife passed her open water divers certificate. We found the staff friendly, location great and the dive sites terrific. Sea Turtles, rays and a huge variety of fish and coral to enjoy.

Now, I read with interest the review on the incident when my wife (on her first dive ever) and myself as well as 6 others floated around in the waters for a few hours until we were picked up. As someone who has been boating and skippering boats for 20 years, fishing for 30 years and diving for 3 years, I am more than qualified through experience to understand that things do in fact go wrong from time to time and so long as they end up ok and procedures are upgraded, then that's about all you can do. On the way up to Vilanculos driving, we saw many accidents on the road, had an incident with our trailer than needed repairs etc etc,so the ocean is just another thing to be careful of.

Having been visiting Vilanculos for almost 10 years, I would be the first one to refuse to dive had I thought the sea conditions were bad, however, they were fairly normal. The current below however was quite strong and we surfaced earlier than expected in a sea that had roughed up a little. The bottom line is that we drifted away quite quickly in two groups. We drifted towards the mainland and actually Hugo, our diving guy risked a lot to leave his BCD and tank with us and attempt to swim to Bazaruto Island to raise the alarm as to which way we were drifting. There was group agreement that he did this and we appreciate the risk he took. We continued to float for another 2 hours or so in no danger at all and eventually got picked up by a passing boat, having seen the other boats and Helicopter that had been called in also searching for us, we had no fear of not being picked up. We got taken back to Bazaruto Lodge who looked after us and we got brought back into another lodge that took good care of us until Sabrina arrived.
The response of the call that we were missing by Odyssea I think was adequate and everything that could be, was done. I do know that all dives were canceled the next day and a full review of the incident and procedures was discussed with the staff.

Then the better news was that my wife continued her course, went out diving again the following day and we both continued our great time. Of course everyone would have preferred the incident not to have happened, but I have full confidence in Odyssea and their staff and will be diving with them again as soon as I am back in Vilanculos. We don't have to, but we will choose to. The views from their premises is great, gear in good condition and no risks taken on any of the dives I went on.

On the lighter side, my wife and myself had an experience that will go well for the future and you learn a lot of things when these incidents happen, but one of the things was that no one was to blame. The next day, a private boat overturned and on the way home, our trailer broke and this was all part of the adventure. I do understand people react and think of things differently, but some things you just take in your stride.

Although we didn't think it appropriate to share the experience with the world, I think the first review was a little unfair and on behalf of my wife and myself, I would like to thank the guys from Odyssea Dive for the booking procedures, the dives and way they looked after us following the incident. We will be back and I would recommend them to anyone. (And yes, this review are purely my thoughts and the dive centre is unaware that I planned to respond to the original review).

Living in Africa, coming from Australia and loving the outdoors, things happen, so just get out there and enjoy the fun things to do in Vilanculos, including going for a dive or a snorkel in one of the nicest places in the world.

Thanks again Denis and Sabrina for the handling of the situation!

John and Anastasia

Visited December 2011
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thanks John and Anastasia,

It was really nice to have you with us, and fantastic to see people appreciating our work even when things don't turn the way they should.

Hope to see you again...

SA
“A Wonderful days diving on 2 mile Reef with Odyssea Dive...and our experience as 'lost divers'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Thank you Odyssey Dive team for great and memorable experiences this Christmas: Denis, Sabrina, Hugo, Maddy, Gugu, and Jeff!!

I'd like to start by saying that myself, Amy, and Maddy were one of the groups that were unfortunately 'lost' at sea, however this didn't stop us from booking our next two dives that very same day when we were found.

This experience at sea was terrible for everyone involved (and and our of the water), and was a learning experience for all. Sometimes in life/business it takes mistakes and bad experiences to develop and better procedures going forward. This was one such case. Dwelling on what 'could have been' or what 'might' have happened is pointless - the attitude and positivity shown by the Odyssey team as well as our fellow divers on the 27th of December was inspiring.

I'd also like to highlight that Maddy (our French dive instructor, who by the way is awesome!), was fantastic in her approach to the situation. Her maturity, teamwork, and positivity ultimately helped in ensuring the positive outcome for us all. The spirit of the full team cannot be overshadowed by 'ifs' and 'buts'.

Scuba diving is a sport, and with any sport there are risks. This is not the first time people have been lost at sea, and it wont be the last. What we can control is the approach to the activity, and I can say safely that Odyssey (and the other local dive companies) will be a better operations as a result.

We decided to get back on the horse and complete our diving schedule with Odyssea Dive on New Years Eve ( day ) and had a wonderful time! This was the last of a few dives we had done with them were we were lucky enough to see turtles ( 3 of them), moray eels ( my fav) and devil rays, the coral at 2 mile reef was beautiful.

To top the whole experience off, myself and Amy got engaged on the top of Bazaruto Island that day and partied into the evening watching Jeff and Gugu (our hilariously funny and energetic skippers) dancing with their cultural group that evening as part of New Year's celebrations.

Did we have a great time? - Yes

Have lessons been learnt? - Yes

Would we go back and dive with the team again? Yes

Wishing everyone a great experience in Vilanculos and the Odyssey Team every success in the future.

See you soon, and ciao for now!

A la prochaine,
Jonnie & Amy

Visited December 2011
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thanks for your support, Jonnie & Amy!

Such a long report makes us feel so much better. And as you said, lessons have been learnt, soon, we will dive with a submersible VHF/GPS (not joking!)

A la prochaine !!!