“Best diving experience and most awesome hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sakatia Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nosy Be
Sakatia Lodge
You added Sakatia Lodge to your Saves list
Nosy Sakatia, Nosy Be 207, Madagascar   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Witbank, South Africa
“Best diving experience and most awesome hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is the place where they invented friendliness. We stayed for about a week. The food was great, however, the selection is limited. The diving center is world class. I really want to go back. This peaceful place right on the beach is the breakaway holiday of a lifetime.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
The Crags, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Sakatia was the last place on our itinerary in Madagascar and a great place to end a lovely holiday. We didn't dive, just snorkelled and were warned that there wasn't much else to do but found it perfect for a 3 night stay anyway. The food was incredible ! Crayfish, crab, prawns, delicious fresh fish done in a variety of ways with exotic spices and fresh salads... just perfect! Bungalows are small and close to each other so we didn't spend much time there but the communal areas are well-spaced enough that you don't have to sit on top of other guests. Nice bar area which is conducive to a bit of socialising. The staff are very friendly and hospitable, both the 'foreigners' and the Malagasy people. Very safe, very comfortable, we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Nature bungalow which was fine, but small. A bit hot at night as the generator goe...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Founex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We came here and were quiet tired!
After 3 days in this place and a few dives.... we felt great!
The different bungelaws we had was a treat, and the place quiet, just what we needed!
The walks you can make are great, nature is beautiful, the sandy-beach is fine and water temp. super!!
The staff was very friendly, the set-dinners at night could be better, but we were satisfied!

Room Tip: If you like isolation and a quiet place in beautiful nature.... go here!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Of all the places we booked for our Madagascar trip, this was the one I was most confident / excited about but unfortunately the one I connected least with. This was largely due to the fact that I think I got caught up in all the amazing reviews and didn't stop to think whether it would work for me. I realised pretty quickly when I got there that I'm not very good at doing absolutely nothing so really like having a pool when I'm somewhere like this which is so tidal that your swimming opportunities are limited, also you're on a small island so can't go any where, and it was also really sheltered so there is hardly any breeze - and basically I ended up feeling a bit claustraphobic and bored trapped on a deckchair in the shade when I wasn't diving which wasn't ideal! I also found it a bit irritating that they charged for use of kayaks and wifi (by all means limit availability but surely you should give a free allowance...). So I guess what I'm saying is make sure you don't make my mistake and think about whether this delivers what you want before you book. I'd also recommend that if you are going for a Ocean Bungalow you ask for one as far away from the generator as possible. Ours was right behind it and it was hugely noisy so I had to wear earplugs at night to try and block it out (so much for going to sleep with the sound of the sea!) and it wasn't relaxing being in our room when it was on. The rooms closest to the restaurant seemed better (they were fully booked so we couldn't swap), and gave you the added bonus of being close to where the lemurs come to eat mangos at night.

That aside, the food was outstanding (the best of our trip), and all the staff were super-friendly. Jacques and the dive team were fantastic - incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and organised - but I did find the diving from Sakatia pretty average (a combination of the fact I've been spoilt where I've dived, the poor viz when we were there, and luck of the draw that we didn't see much) and far preferred the day Jacque arranged for us at Nosy Komba. It was lovely being out on the boat nonetheless, and we saw whales despite it being very late in the season. The whaleshark snorkelling trip we did was also amazing.

So essentially not the right place for me unfortunately, but others obviously love it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in Sakatia Lodge in November and I cannot stop thinking and talking about it!
The madiro bungalow was beautiful and so romantic, right in from of the beach and in the morning I could see the sunrise from my bed! The staff was exceptional and very friendly and helpful but my biggest surprise was the food and the treasures underwater! I have the privilege to work for an airline and I have travelled extensively in the last few years, often staying in 5 stars hotels and eating in expensive restaurants and I can honestly say that the food in Sakatia could easily feature on the menu of a michelin star restaurant in London.. I was not expecting that in a remote island at all. Unfortunately, due to some problems with my flight, I had to cut my stay and could not stay as long as planned but I managed to do 3 dives with Jacques and Sandra and it was a great experience! I am not an experienced diver but they made me feel like one of them! The reefs around the islands are very rich on corals and fishes, I spotted few dolphins on the way to the Lodge from Nosy Be and on my very first day on the island , I went whale watching and managed to snorkel with 8 whale sharks! This place is paradise and has something for everyone..Food and nature lovers, divers and non and couples looking for a romantic escape... I would definitely go back and bring all my friends and family next time..

Room Tip: the madiro bungalow is excellent right in front of the beach with private lounges on the beach..
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

It’s been a month since my husband and I returned from Sakatia Lodge and we still can’t stop thinking and talking about our time there. The experience was just so different to what we’ve had anywhere else, and it was the things they do so differently there that made it such a special place to visit.

It’s the only lodge on the island, so while you can go for day-trips to the busier Nosy Be and Nosy Komba islands, staying at Sakatia Lodge offers exclusivity and a feeling of isolation from everything and everyone else. Because it is so small, the owners and managers are really involved in the day-to-day business of the lodge and in ensuring the well-being of their guests (which is a welcome change from the usual impersonal atmosphere at lodges/hotels). The staff there also played a big part in making our holiday so special – they are so professional, friendly and eager to assist the guests in any way (especially Saied)!

The lodge is beautiful – fits in perfectly with its natural surroundings – neat and clean; the food is great and they are very accommodating of people’s food preferences/allergies; and it is perfect for people that just want to relax, as well as people like us that want to explore and keep busy! If you want to go on an excursion to one of the other islands, it’s as simple as telling the staff and showing up for your transfer in the morning – we did most of the excursions available and everything was well-organised (and the guide was great!). There’s also a lot to do on Sakatia itself – exploring the island, snorkelling, kayaking... We were there for 10 days and there were still some things we did not get time for! The best part, however, was waking up every morning to the sound of hundreds of birds, or sometimes by the lemurs throwing mangoes on the roof... It really is paradise.

I can only give the same praise (and more) for Jacques who runs the dive centre. It was the most enjoyable diving I’ve done in a long time. Jacques knows every little corner of every reef so knows where to look for the interesting creatures; it was great having a dive leader that shows me animals to look at (things that I wouldn’t have seen by myself!). And, of course, the reefs there are just spectacular.

This review, and all the pictures you see, really don’t do this place justice. You have to go there to experience it for yourself!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Nature unit, which is cheaper and smaller than the Ocean bungalows. The Nature unit i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Windhoek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a fantastic holiday breakaway here. Food and general staff service and helpfulness superb. This is an awesome diving location. Jacques Viera is a very knowledgeable and passionate dive master who showed our family of relative novices all the wonders of the underwater world in a safe but relaxing manner.
The lodges' location is idyllic and well suited to non divers as well, beautiful, clean beaches and very peaceful.there are also many interesting day trips such as a nature walk on the island or trips to Nosy Be, Nosy Komba and Nosy Tanikely that can be done from the lodge. Also good snorkeling and kayaking.
Highly recommended for families with teenagers such as us, but also good for couples and singles- the friendly family atmosphere of the place quickly draws in lonely travelers and we met a whole host of new interesting g people from all walks of life.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sakatia Lodge? Share your experiences!