“Not the right choice for me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sakatia Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nosy Be
Sakatia Lodge
You added Sakatia Lodge to your Saves list
Nosy Sakatia, Nosy Be 207, Madagascar   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Not the right choice for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Of all the places we booked for our Madagascar trip, this was the one I was most confident / excited about but unfortunately the one I connected least with. This was largely due to the fact that I think I got caught up in all the amazing reviews and didn't stop to think whether it would work for me. I realised pretty quickly when I got there that I'm not very good at doing absolutely nothing so really like having a pool when I'm somewhere like this which is so tidal that your swimming opportunities are limited, also you're on a small island so can't go any where, and it was also really sheltered so there is hardly any breeze - and basically I ended up feeling a bit claustraphobic and bored trapped on a deckchair in the shade when I wasn't diving which wasn't ideal! I also found it a bit irritating that they charged for use of kayaks and wifi (by all means limit availability but surely you should give a free allowance...). So I guess what I'm saying is make sure you don't make my mistake and think about whether this delivers what you want before you book. I'd also recommend that if you are going for a Ocean Bungalow you ask for one as far away from the generator as possible. Ours was right behind it and it was hugely noisy so I had to wear earplugs at night to try and block it out (so much for going to sleep with the sound of the sea!) and it wasn't relaxing being in our room when it was on. The rooms closest to the restaurant seemed better (they were fully booked so we couldn't swap), and gave you the added bonus of being close to where the lemurs come to eat mangos at night.

That aside, the food was outstanding (the best of our trip), and all the staff were super-friendly. Jacques and the dive team were fantastic - incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and organised - but I did find the diving from Sakatia pretty average (a combination of the fact I've been spoilt where I've dived, the poor viz when we were there, and luck of the draw that we didn't see much) and far preferred the day Jacque arranged for us at Nosy Komba. It was lovely being out on the boat nonetheless, and we saw whales despite it being very late in the season. The whaleshark snorkelling trip we did was also amazing.

So essentially not the right place for me unfortunately, but others obviously love it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in Sakatia Lodge in November and I cannot stop thinking and talking about it!
The madiro bungalow was beautiful and so romantic, right in from of the beach and in the morning I could see the sunrise from my bed! The staff was exceptional and very friendly and helpful but my biggest surprise was the food and the treasures underwater! I have the privilege to work for an airline and I have travelled extensively in the last few years, often staying in 5 stars hotels and eating in expensive restaurants and I can honestly say that the food in Sakatia could easily feature on the menu of a michelin star restaurant in London.. I was not expecting that in a remote island at all. Unfortunately, due to some problems with my flight, I had to cut my stay and could not stay as long as planned but I managed to do 3 dives with Jacques and Sandra and it was a great experience! I am not an experienced diver but they made me feel like one of them! The reefs around the islands are very rich on corals and fishes, I spotted few dolphins on the way to the Lodge from Nosy Be and on my very first day on the island , I went whale watching and managed to snorkel with 8 whale sharks! This place is paradise and has something for everyone..Food and nature lovers, divers and non and couples looking for a romantic escape... I would definitely go back and bring all my friends and family next time..

Room Tip: the madiro bungalow is excellent right in front of the beach with private lounges on the beach..
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

It’s been a month since my husband and I returned from Sakatia Lodge and we still can’t stop thinking and talking about our time there. The experience was just so different to what we’ve had anywhere else, and it was the things they do so differently there that made it such a special place to visit.

It’s the only lodge on the island, so while you can go for day-trips to the busier Nosy Be and Nosy Komba islands, staying at Sakatia Lodge offers exclusivity and a feeling of isolation from everything and everyone else. Because it is so small, the owners and managers are really involved in the day-to-day business of the lodge and in ensuring the well-being of their guests (which is a welcome change from the usual impersonal atmosphere at lodges/hotels). The staff there also played a big part in making our holiday so special – they are so professional, friendly and eager to assist the guests in any way (especially Saied)!

The lodge is beautiful – fits in perfectly with its natural surroundings – neat and clean; the food is great and they are very accommodating of people’s food preferences/allergies; and it is perfect for people that just want to relax, as well as people like us that want to explore and keep busy! If you want to go on an excursion to one of the other islands, it’s as simple as telling the staff and showing up for your transfer in the morning – we did most of the excursions available and everything was well-organised (and the guide was great!). There’s also a lot to do on Sakatia itself – exploring the island, snorkelling, kayaking... We were there for 10 days and there were still some things we did not get time for! The best part, however, was waking up every morning to the sound of hundreds of birds, or sometimes by the lemurs throwing mangoes on the roof... It really is paradise.

I can only give the same praise (and more) for Jacques who runs the dive centre. It was the most enjoyable diving I’ve done in a long time. Jacques knows every little corner of every reef so knows where to look for the interesting creatures; it was great having a dive leader that shows me animals to look at (things that I wouldn’t have seen by myself!). And, of course, the reefs there are just spectacular.

This review, and all the pictures you see, really don’t do this place justice. You have to go there to experience it for yourself!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Nature unit, which is cheaper and smaller than the Ocean bungalows. The Nature unit i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Windhoek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a fantastic holiday breakaway here. Food and general staff service and helpfulness superb. This is an awesome diving location. Jacques Viera is a very knowledgeable and passionate dive master who showed our family of relative novices all the wonders of the underwater world in a safe but relaxing manner.
The lodges' location is idyllic and well suited to non divers as well, beautiful, clean beaches and very peaceful.there are also many interesting day trips such as a nature walk on the island or trips to Nosy Be, Nosy Komba and Nosy Tanikely that can be done from the lodge. Also good snorkeling and kayaking.
Highly recommended for families with teenagers such as us, but also good for couples and singles- the friendly family atmosphere of the place quickly draws in lonely travelers and we met a whole host of new interesting g people from all walks of life.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

After spending 8 glorious nights on a fishing charter aboard Yacht Gecko booked through Harriet Joao from MadagasCat Charters and Travel, we landed up on our last night arriving at this special paradise. From the moment we were taken from Yacht Gecko on the dingy to the Lodge, it was so special, calm quiet and oh so peaceful. The lodge itself is magnificent. We met the owners and were invited to cocktails and shown a slideshow of all the dives that had taken place in the surrounding Nosy Be and Sakatia Lodge areas. Oh I forget to mention they have a fully fledged dive centre there. Magnificent grounds and the staff were so pleasant, helpful and friendly. On our return holiday, because Madagascar has captured our hearts, we will spend longer at Sakatia Lodge, what a glorious place, so untouched and unspoilt. Well done Jose and Harriet and all the staff there for creating such a perfect paradise.

Room Tip: The Ocean Bungalow, magnificent views of the Bay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bareggio, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Perhaps we did not arrive at the lodge in a correct moment - the sea was mudy and, during the marea, we tried to walk till the reef (distance about 400 mt) but we was into the mud till the knees. We had villa suite, very nice and clean but very expensive - we had also the generator working 21 hours a day next to our room (stopped at 2 am until 5 am - so few hours of sleep) - the lodge is the only one on the island so everything you want to do you can do by means of them - only one restaurant on the island but they do not serve food to guests of the lodge - no shops on the island - since 2,30 pm I was trying to follow the sun and at 4,30 pm the sun went down - no sunset from this side of the island (the opposite side of the island is a paradise - we saw it with a boat but it is not possible to go there by foot- so we was told) - the beach is terrible -not white - and full of insects - terrible moschito (I had infections due to them) - village people live around the lodge, very nice people but one of them pissed and did the pu covering it at the end next to my sunbed and it was not a good thing and smell - I understand that they live around there, but somebody has to tell them to choose their WC not so near guests - internet is on payment and very very expensive - in the evening the dinner is a surprise - no possibility of choose but if you do not like, they carry you other food - ,the taste is good and ood is really fresh so is the breakfast and the service is excellent - we found the lodge very expensive - I think it is OK for divers and for this Jaques is fantastic - At the end, it depends from what you like to do - for us, it was not a good choice. Anyway Isabella and Jose are nice. Isabella is very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The best possible place to stay if you are looking for a holiday away from noisy city traffic, with great marine life and impeccable service. The scuba diving as well as the snorkeling is absolutely phenomenal with a house reef situated just a short swim out to sea and a multitude of different diving sites for scuba divers of all ages and skill levels. The entire Lodge is immaculately taken care of with astounding attention to detail and cleanliness and the staff are friendly, attentive and always have your best interests at heart. The food is very seafood orientated with most dishes caught fresh on the day and tasting absolutely divine! We had an amazing holiday which did not leave anything to wish for and are already planning to come back next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sakatia Lodge? Share your experiences!