“The Gunjur Project Lodge does simply everything to make your stay perfect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gunjur Project Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunjur
The Gunjur Project Lodge
You added The Gunjur Project Lodge to your Saves list
Red Rd | nr Gunjur Village, Gunjur WD 2233, Gambia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“The Gunjur Project Lodge does simply everything to make your stay perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This may I went to Gunjur for 2 weeks and this was the third time I came, simply because they arrange everything so your stay is perfect! You can tell what you would like to do (for example help at schools, take djembelessons or go for a day out on the boat) and they make sure everything is settled for you. Besides that, the food is amazing, the rooms are nice and clean and the people that work there are very friendly and helpfull. The Gunjur Project Lodge made my holiday an unforgettable one.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was a life experience, more than a holiday. it was an adventure and an eye opener into the real African way of life. it will humble you, and make you want to return and it will make you want to do more for their community when you return!!
Anyway more about the lodge!!.... beautifully clean chalets, fantastic food (especially when you think that everything is run by generators) staff are super friendly and always willing to engage and improve there English speaking skills. The owners of the lodge are committed to their local community and are fully active in giving back, improving and empowering their neighbours.
You can do and see as much as you want or as little as you want. staff provide entertainment in the evenings (campfire, live music, drum workshops etc) or you can head out by taxi to the main tourist area where there is lots to do.
This is not a holiday to be vain during, so don't bother with your hair straighteners as you may blow the generator!! but this holiday is not about being vein!!
I took my son who was 6 as I wanted him to appreciate everything he has in this country and for him to understand that not everybody is as lucky and privileged as he is.........................well the Gunjur project certainly provided this. He visited local schools, local markets, local environmental initiatives and spent the whole 10 days playing with the local children. he now asks every week "when are we going back" and is hugely aware of charity work and how important this is.
I have nothing negative to say about the project and left a little piece of my heart there.
So get booking and enjoy!! we are heading back early next year, please take some paper, pens and books or any other educational material you think maybe of use to the local children as they will really appreciate these.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

In may 2013 I stayed in GPL for the second time with my djembegroup Multipercussion. In this week we did lots of activities: almost every morning we had djembelessons and in the afternoon we visited markets or natureparks, brought there by a good driver from the lodge. The lodge is only 20 min. walking from the beach and the fishing village , so we went there also for a beautifull sunset walk while we saw the fishing boats coming back to shore, an unforgettable sight to see. The staff in the lodge feels like family, thanks a lot to Omar, Sainney ( both of you!) , Mustafa, Ablai ( and everybody I forget now) and of course the great cook Mamadou, I never had a meal that I didn't like, it was always delicious! Thanks also to Jo and Butch and Brendan and Jenny, with your help a lot of projects are realised in the community of Gunjur. This way our stay had a good influence on the people of Gunjur. Thanks for everything and I will definitely come back!!

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was my first time here! It was great, everything. Delicious food, nice people. I was with my son of 12 years old. He doesn't want to go home. We lost a piece of our hart at the gunjur project! We certainly come back!!!

• Stayed April 2013
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks volunteering- an absolute gem of a place in the heart of a wonderful village. Made to feel welcome immediately by the incredible family and the staff at the project, who's knowledge of the community and contacts within it, meant that we were able to be in direct touch with it and dive headfirst into some great projects! and projects that we already have plans to continue with...so thank you so much!!

if you want to take the road less travelled and get stuck into something truly worthwhile, then you don't want to miss out on this place...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Fantastic place set beside a fishing village in rural Gambia, a distance from the tourist areas. Rooms are clean and well maintained with a mosquito net. Nice pool and garden. Food was cooked by a really good Gambian chef and the menu included traditional Gambian food as well as English dishes. All were delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful, I felt I had made friends with many of them by the time I left. They bent over backwards to provide any information or help on trips, transport, language and area. Icing on the cake was the great charity work the Gunjur Project do, and the eco philosophy of the place. I would highly recommend it and hope to return there one day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have just returned from my 3rd trip to Gambia and each time i have stayed at the Gunjur Project Lodge. Set around 45 minutes drive outside of the tourist area this lodge is ideally placed if you want to see the real Gambia! The owners have set the lodge up to facilitate the experiences required of travellers whether you are travelling alone, with your family or as groups which is what we did.

Our group of 13 consisted mainly of people who work with children and young people who wanted to work alongside schools and community groups. We had spent a year gathering donations of educational resources, clothes and shoes which were shipped in a 40 foot container to Gambia in time for our arrival. The Gunjur Project arranged for representatives from each of the schools and community organisations which the donations were intended to come to the lodge, meet with us and arrange collection of their goods.

Whilst there we were also involved in renovating Kajabang Health Post, we created a new sick bay in Gunjur Upper Basic school, teacher training, health worker training, first aid training and a Malaria awareness event attended by over 200 people from the village. We were also extremely fortunate to be able to visit local families in their compounds, we even got to meet a new baby that had just been born hours earlier, and his amazing Mum, what a amazing experience that was. These experiences can only have happened because of the Gunjur Project.

The staff at Gunjur Project Lodge are all truly wonderful. With regards to our accommodation and lodgings, the rooms and food are great and each and every member of the team are happy to share their life experiences with guests.

I could not recommend Gunjur Project Lodge more and i look forward very much to visiting again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Gunjur Project Lodge? Share your experiences!