“A 'must' for travellers searching for the real Gambia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gunjur Project Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunjur
The Gunjur Project Lodge
You added The Gunjur Project Lodge to your Saves list
Red Rd | nr Gunjur Village, Gunjur WD 2233, Gambia   |
somerset
“A 'must' for travellers searching for the real Gambia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent 2 1/2 weeks with the Gunjur Project Lodge and cant begin to explain the fantastic experience I had.

I was welcomed to the lodge by a fabulous Gambian staff team and was immediately immersed in an authentic african vibe.. the music, the food, the hospitality, the surroundings and a strong family feel was truely amazing.

Whilst I was there I was able to become involved in a wide range of projects that The Gunjur project Lodge were involved in. These range from working with young people, offering help with a local womens garden, to helping out at an evironmental project to name a few. Each of these experiences really rounded my understaning of the Gambian way of life. Although getting to know Gambia was fantastic, I was able to relax back at the compound with a beautiful pool, amazing authentic food, plumbed showers, electricity and a very comfortable room (which also included all mozzy requirements). As a european these luxuries really aided my stay!

The staff (and family) were able to explain local culture, areas I may like to visit (which could be arranged for me), and could also advise of steps to take if I wanted to extend my understanding and experience further. They have become good friends - I WILL be visiting again soon!!

Many, many thanks for everything Gunjur Project Lodge!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Gunjur Project gives you a real feeling of the African culture, the project services are of the highest standard; running water, electricity, toilets etc and great food – You can try out the taste of traditional Africa dishes which are on offer every evening and enable you to taste African delights ( thanks to the chef ‘Momado’), the choice is yours . The project staff team of 17 Gambians fill your visit with their friendly, and happy approach, nothing is too much trouble, they share their experiences of the Gambian lifestyle and culture, and share their life experiences to give you a real understanding of what it’s like to live in Gambia. Of an evening you can experience Gambian live music, and you even get the opportunity to try your hand at a little African drumming! By day you can visit local markets, surrounding communities and local compounds and schools, your visit can be full of the African culture to its fullest or you can relax by the pool taking in the wildlife that surrounds you in its natural habitat – this is what you call the real African experience of the Gambia in its fullest sense..
Added value; The Gunjur Project also contributes heavily in the local community and young people by reinvesting funds back into the area. Many surrounding projects have been funded or supported by the Gunjur project i.e. supporting the setup of local school, environmental centre and women gardens. Just by visiting you make can make a real difference and gain an understanding of The Gambia – give it a go, it’s a must for everyone! Although financial contribution has a massive impact, Gunjur Project has a stronger, more significant, and very positive impact by working with the local community, thereby enabling the community to develop itself – all of which you can be part of!
We stayed at the Gunjur project in July for three weeks – it was truly a fantastic African experience – thank you to all the staff in the Gunjur Project .

Room Tip: Any room is high quality.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at this lodge following all the good reviews so we arrived at The Gunjur Project Lodge expecting a "real African experience". Instead, we spent some time in a Lodge running by an English family who moved there to retire. Their African experience is poor and the atmosphere is far from being "local". Food was great though. It is the only place we have been in Gambia where we didn't feel in Africa. We were also ask to pay for a meal we didn't have. After a long talk, we didn't pay it but that was unpleasant. This place is ok for a night or 2 but if you are looking for an "African experience", this is not the right place to stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pershore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Davina and I stayed with Jenny, Brendan and the team in January and had a few brilliant days of our break with them. Whilst we didn't get involved in any project work, we could see how utterly dedicated they are to improving the lives and wellbeing of the people of the community both there and further afield.
If you are looking for a laid back break, totally unpretentious break well away from anything like tourism, with genuine people (both British and Gambian) then you need to stay at the Gunjur Project. They welcomed us, involved us and just made sure that we wanted for nothing.
Everyone we met both in the lodge and around Gambia proved to be quite special in their own way and have left a mark on us. We will return with our children who will undoubtedly enjoy themselves with everything that Gambia has to give - people with warm hearts, a beautiful countryside and an un-spoilt attitude to life.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My friend and I spent a week at The Gunjur Project in March and it was, in short, unbelievable.

From the very first moment we arrived, when we were greeted by the incredibly welcoming staff, to the moment we left, as we said our farewells to the wonderful people that we'd spent the week in the company of, it was, in every way, the perfect trip.

Essentially, what I was seeking from our holiday was to go to somewhere interesting, gain an insight into 'the real' Gambia, and to relax, and The Gunjur Project ticked every one of those boxes... and then some.

We spent our days enjoying a variety of activities: excusions to Senegal, canoe trips along the mangroves, walks around the Nature Reserve, exploring the village (which involved a trip to a local school and performing, to raucous applause may I add, 'I'm a Little Teacup'), and foraging into the markets of Bikrama and Banjul. These activities were also interspersed with wanders along the beautiful beaches (only a 5 min walk from the Project), hanging out in the beachside bars, lounging by the pool at the Project, and, of course, being treated to some great African drumming.

Absolutely nothing was too much trouble during the course of our stay, and I really felt like I'd become part of the Gunjur family by the time I left. In addition, we were travelling on a rather limited budget and every effort was made to ensure that we would be able to do the things that we wanted to do, without going beyond that.

In terms of the accommodation itself, the rooms were very well equipped and extremely clean. The food was also fantastic, although in consequence forms the only potential negative of the trip, as I ate so much that I'm pretty sure I put on about half a stone over the week. Having said that, I did manage to offset some of the weight-gain through the morning exercise classes that have recently been introduced (I encourage all guests to participate), and, in any event, it was absolutely worth it.

I don't actually think I'm going to be able to convey how wonderful the Project is in this review: you're simply going to have to go and visit it yourself. Suffice to say it is a very special place, run by wonderful people, who contribute an enormous amount to the Gunjur community.

I am very grateful to everyone at the Project for all of the kindness that was shown to us throughout our stay. Although I generally make it a rule that I won't return to places I've already visited, The Gunjur Project is likely, I anticipate, to prove to be an exception.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have not long returned from spending 10nights at the Gunjur Project, and already looking at flights to return this year!!
Best Holiday/Cultural experience of my life :)
Staff/Management- Extremely friendly and Nothing is to much to ask for. Warm welcome and especially genuine farewell - I cried when I left Gunjur project as I was leaving such lovely people behind.

Food- 10/10 for food - Best chef in Gambia - Great selection for all palletts and accomodate well for those with Allergies.

Accomodation- Hot water is not guaranteed but when staying in Africa and you see what others must to do for a shower - Having a cool shower is no issue, having the pipe is a privelage. Beds are comfortable and Mosquito nets are provided. Rooms are spacious and feel cosy.

Trips- Do as much as you possibly can so you can, as to grasp the full experience of the local community and meet all the local people.

Overall- I'd urge anyone who wishes to see what true experience is available in Gambia and use your money to benefit the economy of Gambia as appose to lining Thomas Cooks account, to visit The Gunjur Lodge- as you will be safe, comfortable and stay in the Heart of the local community and return refreshed and wondering why you sometimes moan about the simple struggles in the UK, when in Gambia each day many suffer but still Smile and Welcome you :)

Keep up the good work at the Gunjur Project and Thank you ... Abarake Bake

Rhian (Birmingham)

Room Tip: Which ever room am sure you shall be comfortable
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Market Harborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is an 8 room lodge near Gunjur Beach run by 2 generations of anEnglish family (3 if you count Charlie). It is situated about 5 minutes drive from Gunjur on the road to the beach....it is then 5 minutes walk to go into the fishing village with miles of unspoilt beach either side of the fishing area.
The rooms are simple but are well equipped with powerpoints, bedside lamp, plenty of storage space and a few other nice touches which are unusual at this price level. Each room has an outside seating area. There is a pool which again is a rare amenity in this type of place and very welcome in the hot sun...plenty of sunbeds, deck chairs etc.
The restaurant serves a nice breakfast included in your room charge , this includes a hot dish ( omelette, pancake, boiled eggs etc) at no extra charge. They serve snacks and light meals during the day and a really excellent dinner at night. Order late afternoon and say what time you would like to eat and it will be ready for you. A 2 course meal with a couple of beers is about £10.00. A main course on its own about£6.00. Can't stress enough how delicious the food is.
There is plenty to do and see in the locality including a conservation area wetland, guided tours of the village, a visit to one of the schools etc. The proprietors will organise as much or as little as you want. This is a charitable foundation and does tremendously good work with the local communities .
Whether you are interested in the charitable side of things or just want a few days peace and quiet I can highly recommend this place.....the value for money compared to other nearby lodges is truly excellent, and you will be very well looked after.
Rooms need to be booked in advance but if you are in the area and want a nice lunch and a cold drink then you will also be made welcome.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms just by the gate are probably the best bet for singles or couples.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Gunjur Project Lodge? Share your experiences!