“Should be condemned.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Long Island MacArthur Airport Hotel

You added Ramada Plaza Long Island MacArthur Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Long Island MacArthur Airport Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1730 North Ocean Avenue, Holtsville, NY 11742 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Macarthur Airport hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Holtsville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Should be condemned.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We booked here from July 6 through July 12 2013. $100/night however they manage to make it not worth the money:

-- Corridors smell like a blend of raw sewage and used diapers.

-- None of the vending machines work. The change machine doesn't work. When you ask the front desk for quarters to buy a snack or soda they tell you they have no change and direct you to the on-site restaurant or nearby gas station. By our fourth day here the folks at the restaurant were complaining about being hassled for change night and day.

-- There is only one "guest laundry" washer and one dryer for the entire property. But of course, good luck obtaining quarters to use it (see prior remark).

-- There is no place to sit outside and work . . . not a single table and chair.

-- There are no garbage cans on the property. If you order in a pizza or carry in some Chinese food and your trash won't fit in the tiny wastepaper basket in the room (and if you don't want the garbage to stink up your room), you have to leave it in the hallway; as such, the halls are lined with pizza boxes and other trash.

-- I ordered room service . . . a simple burger and fries which showed up with not even a packet of ketchup. The tray and dishes sat outside my door for more than a day.

-- Housekeeping is incompetent and illiterate. I had to help myself to coffee packets from their carts. No condiments are placed in the room. The mugs are never washed. I finally brought my mugs to the front desk, placed them there and returned to my room. They were not even replaced in the following days. I bought Styrofoam cups at the nearby supermarket.

-- The ice machines are often out of ice if the hotel is above 50% capacity.

-- The "business center" is in the loud, hot lobby. You can't hear yourself think or make a phone call. The two computers they offer let you print boarding passes for free. Believe it or not, if you want to do any other business in the "business center" you have to pay an hourly rate for internet access!

-- With a couple of welcome exceptions, the front desk staff is loud, rude and incompetent. They seem to despise themselves, their jobs and their customers and can't be rid of you fast enough.

-- The rooms are tiny. They are tinier than rooms at two-star outfits like the Days Inn or Red Roof. There are holes in the walls with wires protruding from them. The toilet bowl won't shut off unless you fiddle with the handle just so. There is no safe in the room, so be prepared to show the front desk staff all your valuables if you wish to store them in the lobby safe. I asked for a refrigerator and received a broken unit that freezes all contents solid. Half the light bulbs in the room don't work. The television is a cheap, poor, Vizio model that shows an awful and grainy picture. The hotel says it is pet-free however barking dogs add to the din and odor. The outside doors do not lock as the signs advertise and one can enter the hotel without a room key . . . and dangerous lack of even basic security and upkeep. The chair I'm sitting in right now does not go up and down and is uncomfortably low for typing at the meager desk. You can enjoy tripping over the bunched-up carpets and mats throughout the hotel. A fire alarm went off for about five seconds at 3am one night, awakening my family. There is not hotel shuttle until 8am -- if you reserve six hours in advance and cross your fingers. There is not even coffee in the lobby . . . forget some semblance of breakfast.

-- I was told by one staffer that the place was bought three months ago. The new owners must be blind, stupid or need a tax write-off.

To summarize, I am a very, very frequent traveler for both business and pleasure. I've stayed at $600/night hotels and have been happy. I've stayed at many $65/night motels and have been happy. This "hotel" is awful. It is worse than almost every one- and two-star motel in which I've stayed. It's tough to render a $100 room not worth the money, however the Ramada Plaza in Holtsville, NY has managed to do it. I will never, ever stay here again and encourage anyone considering this place to look elsewhere; you will be happier at a one- or two-star motel. The only positive here is the on-site restaurant which serves decent food at fair prices.

Do not stay here. You have been warned. You will take no solace in the low rate.

Room Tip: Get a room at another facility.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cumming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and our 3 kids travel frequently and this place takes first for misrepresenting themselves. Customer service would be better rated if they had no one. Either they were clueless and cold or breathing and useless. They have one washer and dryer, a broken or out of change machine. Front desk has no change....they tell you to go to the bread and butter restaurant (located in the same building) or suggest you go to the gas station. A hotel that hosts weddings does not have cHange? They provide a single server coffee maker with no condiments, don't replace the coffee used and when I called for these items I was connected to the restaurant. They were clueless as was I. I went to the front desk and the woman there who is unfriendly and bothered said she had nothing.....in front of her I saw someone in housekeeping and I asked her myself. She was very accomadating. And it taught the front desk lady something.
The beds are very small. The second of 6 nights staying an alarm to wake the dead went off in the dead of night with no explanation or apology for it. The air conditioning system does not stay on it goes on and off AND the refrigerator they provided freezes everything.
So......if your looking for a place to crash for the night ......fine but don't want or need for a thing but the bed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
chartmannGM, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Long Island MacArthur Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear LaidBackCumming,

I am very sorry that you feel we have misrepresented ourselves during your stay. Although we have one washer and dryer, we do provide dry cleaning service to our valued guests. The front desk does indeed have change, but we go through it quickly on busy days when everybody does their laundry. However, we do our best to provide our guests with anything they may want or need. I apologize for the inconveniences; for the desk should have offered to run to the restaurant to grab you change. This is something I will make sure all agents are aware of doing if it suites the guest. Your room should have been restocked on coffee condiments every day, and for this I truly apologize. I have spoken with my housekeeping manager regarding these issues, and she said she will relay this information to all of her staff. We have different room types available, so it may be possible a bigger bed option is better to suite you in the future. I have no words to express how sorry I am regarding all of your concerns. We truly appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, because it helps us grow in the right direction. Please consider staying with us in the future if you are ever in the area. Call the front desk directly and we will assure that you are properly accommodated with anything you may need.

Best Wishes,
Deer Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

When my boyfriend and I needed a last minute room, this location seemed the best. Not being partial to Ramada and having had a negative experience at a Ramada in another state, I wasn't that enthuasiastic. We got there and were checked in easily and got a AAA rate for under $100 for the night. The room was clean, the bed comfortable...all staff were very friendly. The best part, though, was the restaurant. I NEVER order room services from a hotel restaurant. My experience is that the food is typically over-priced and not that good. This food was reasonably priced and EXCELLENT. I had the mac n cheese and the iceberg salad with chicken. Both were really tasty and fresh. I rate this hotel excellent! Check it out for yourself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicole D,

Thank you dearly for your kind words regarding our property and staff here at the Ramada. I am so happy to hear you were able to utilize your AAA membership to save money on your stay. I agree that our staff is always a warm welcome, and the rooms are so comfortable! Our restaurant is a new addition to the hotel this year, and I am thrilled you found it so "excellent." Many guests have a presumption that hotel restaurants are not great, but we pride ourselves in having such great food on property. Please come back to visit if you are on the Island again, for you are welcome with open arms!

West Nyack
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Ok hotel. Had to wait to be called on my cell phone to check in after 3pm. So we had a drink at the bar. People who checked in after we got to our room had to wait in a long line at the desk. The rooms were small in size. There was no ice on the 1st floor, so I went to the 2nd floor and the machine was empty. I had to go to the 3rd floor to get my ice. The make-up mirror was almost falling out of the wall. The rug in our room had numerous stains on it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Dear Michael G,

We are very pleased to see that you took the time to write this review. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Although we understand your frustration with not being able to check in when you arrived, check in is guaranteed at 3:00 PM. Unfortunately, the previous night we were sold out which is why no rooms were available for early check ins. However, we do try our hardest to get our guests in their rooms as soon as possible which is why we took your phone number to call you and let you know as soon as your room became available. We find this more satisfying to the guest rather than having to sit and wait in the lobby, as you said you went and had a drink. The long line at the desk was due to the wedding traffic, since everybody arrived at the same time. We do not consider our rooms to be small in size, but do apologize that you feel so. We do have other room types available which may be better to suit your needs. I hope that we will see you in the future to show you that we are capable of great accommodations and excellent customer service.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Ramada Plaza Long Island MacArthur Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!