“Comfortable and cute” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Silvanus Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hillsdale
Silvanus Lodge
You added Silvanus Lodge to your Saves list
9350 Route 22, Hillsdale, NY 12529   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hillsdale
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable and cute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here twice and have been more than satisfied both times. Rooms are comfortable, the decor is funky/quirky, as if to say we know we were born as a roadside motel, but we grew up to be hip. The setting is bucolic, and if you don't take a dip in the lovely pool, too bad for you! No breakfast is provided - there are good choices close by- but ample good coffee is available in the morning. The European-sized bathrooms are impeccably clean. The owner is pleasant, accommodating and helpful with suggestions about enjoying this low-key rural area.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
WHITE PLAINS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Well, I’ll start off with the good: the grounds are beautiful, all the rooms come with a slight patio-type area where you can sit and just enjoy looking at the large lawn area and enjoy the peace and quiet, and watch the birds, sip your coffee, etc., but what my husband and I liked best was the pool, it’s large and clean, with a few chairs scattered around the area and a table or two. Our queen bed was quite comfortable. His housekeeper/other staff person, Gina, is a doll, just an absolute doll, can’t do enough to make sure the customers are happy. The bad: The room was quite small, as other reviewers noted, and the shower area is really quite tiny, uncomfortably tiny. However, those two items would easily be overlooked if it wasn’t for the disturbing incident that occurred while my husband and I were having a good time enjoying the pool. The owner, Steele, appeared, ostensibly to put some more towels out. I immediately introduced myself as some other reviewers have commented what a nice guy he is. He said hello and asked what room we were in. As he was walking away from the pool area, he commented “Watch the towels.” We had no idea what he was talking about, I guess he saw the confused looks on our faces and he explained “There was blood on one of the towels from your room, I can’t get the blood out, be more careful.” He then said, perhaps to lighten the scolding we were getting, although it was a really bizarre comment “Hey, I’ll never be able to take a vacation, but that’s okay!” You’ll never be able to take a vacation?? Really? It was supposed to be a relaxing enjoyable weekend for my husband and I, and it was, until he spoiled it with his comments. My husband was going in for major surgery two days from then and I just wanted him to have a great weekend. I was really upset. We both commented to each other that we’d never been spoken to before like that from anyone in the hotel business, in fact, when we stay in vacation homes, the owners always welcome us back again. We also still had no idea what he was talking about, as far as we knew, nobody had soiled the towels. The next day, after we arrived home, Steele called and spoke to my husband and apologized, even said perhaps it was another room and he got mixed up. That, of course, made up for the ruined weekend (note sarcasm here). Four comments: 1. let Gina take care of the customer service. 2. When you’re in the hotel/motel business, you’re going to lose some towels, let it go, and the sign in the bathroom about how you lose so many washcloths to women’s makeup –very tacky. 3. If you had perhaps thought about it for 30 seconds, you would have realized that here are two people having a great time and will probably write a wonderful review, and after all, even if we did bleed on a towel (we didn’t) what are the chances it will happen the next time we shower? 4. You should have washed the towel in cold water, the stain would have definitely come out. I gave good ratings to the lodge and the service as I'm trying to be objective and Gina was the person we primarily dealt with and she was great, but we were very disappointed with Steele and would never stay here again.

NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
OUCH! Sadly I have to admit, I had this coming. I did call to say I was sorry, but too little, too late. We (meaning me) did not handle this so well. We mentioned the towel for several reasons. One, there was a lot of blood & we were concerned; we didn't even try to salvage the towel as it was pretty disgusting. Second, we push pretty hard to keep our rates down - which means we feel the pain when we have to discard otherwise good linen. Honestly, we've been very lucky. We never had a towel left in that condition - not in the 15 years that I've been here. Gina also offered her apology. She was certain that her report on the towel was correct, but we all make mistakes. I certainly didn't handle it very professionally. If I had it to do over, I'm certain I could do better. This area is a stunning summer escape; I'm usually a pretty small part of the show. I'm sorry I ruined your trip. I hope you have better luck in your future travels.
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed here earlier this week for three days/two nights. Wish I could have had a few more days! Beautiful property, with spacious grounds, set far back from the road. Enjoyed the patio, right outside the room, with it's soothing, tranquil nature view. We had fun in the pool, which was very pretty, clean, and also set way back from the road. If I had more time, would have liked to have spent a few hours way in the back of the grounds, with a book and chair -- so beautiful, peaceful, and quiet. Room was pleasantly decorated and comfortable. Lobby very pretty, with morning coffee available. Can sense that for the owner/manager, Steele, this is really a labor of love, and he really puts his personal passion into the operation -- very friendly and knowledgeable -- gave excellent advice about the area. I really love mid-century modern architecture from the 1950's and 1960's, so this was a treat, right from viewing the property when first driving in, to the views from the pool. Updated nicely. Bathroom small, due to time period built, but updated, clean, and fine for two people. Would definitely stay here again. Convenient location, being right near Routes 22 and 23 and right around the corner from the charming, historic hamlet of Hillsdale. Loved the entire area -- Columbia County -- a nice escape from the city for a quick trip!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you, thank you! Please come back and stay again. We are glad you were happy.
Woodside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Always reluctant to stay at a motel, I agreed to try the Silvanus Lodge after my friend did research on nearby places and this one seemed decent enough to stay in for 2 nights while we explored the area. It was better than decent. We were very pleased with our experience staying there from the moment we arrived until we departed. It was clean, comfortable, and simple, although the bathroom was small but everything worked well. The reception area was nicely decorated and there was a lovely clean pool. Steele, the owner, was a wonderful source of information about the area, personally ensured that the place was kept ship-shape, and helped guests feel comfortable. If I return to the area, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
I hope you DO come and visit again! It was nice having you. We try pretty hard to keep up with the building. It is old, and it can be a challenge. BUT it is fun... especially when so many nice people visit here. It is our honor to have you here.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is an older style hotel with comfortable beds and clean rooms. It also is very quiet (even with all rooms full) and has a nice pool. Best by far is the owner Steele who is very knowledgeable about the area and has excellent suggestions anything from where to get breakfast to local events. He really goes out of his way by drawing maps and giving great recommendations. We have stayed before and will stay again because of the reasonable rates. This motel is also better with minimum stay requirements than other motels in the area. Fancy it's not but you do feel relaxed and a bit at home.

Room Tip: Very easy to book on line, quick conformation.
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you! First, we DO have thin walls... it is quiet most of the time as we seem to attract peaceful guests!!! We've also tried to do a little sound-proofing, although you can still hear the hum of a TV if it is too loud. I'm glad you'll be coming back!
Garrison, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I spent a fun weekend at the Silvanus Lodge. It's a sweet little motel set back from the road with lovely grounds and a great pool. We stayed in room #8 at the end of the building. Each room has a patio area that overlooks the pool and grounds. The rooms are small but nicely updated in fun colors and patterns. The bed was very comfortable. I'm also a stickler for how a room smells. This was fresh...no musty odors. The bath was fully updated and everything was clean, clean, clean. Our host, Steele, was very friendly and informative. I'm so glad we chose his motel instead of one of the others that were closer to Lenox and Stockbridge, where we were visiting. Actually, Silvanus Lodge is a short drive to both locations, so if you're looking for a peaceful respite after a day of museums and shopping, this is the place. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the narrow driveway. It might be a bit of a challenge to someone not very skilled at navigating in a tight space. That aside, we will definitely be back to Silvanus Lodge on our next getaway weekend.

NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
You are amazing! I remember you!! Thanks for mentioning the driveway. I know you didn't mind as you are pretty easy going and wonderful people. But truthfully, the drive was made back before "size" was considered. I know you know that... thank you, and PLEASE come again!!!
Berkeley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

First if all, I want to thank everyone else who posted reviews about Silvanus Lodge. I did a lot of research before choosing where to stay in the Hudson Vally and your reviews really helped. I am so glad I stayed here, and this is why. First of all, the property is even more beautiful than the pictures convey. Everything is so green and expansive, and the decor is so cool! I felt like I was on a set of Mad Men. The host, Steele, has decorated everything so tastefully in mid-century modern. It made the property seem much more homey, like a B and B without the awkward breakfast table experience. (Yes, I'm an introvert).

But Steele really goes above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. In my case, I had an issue with a passport and he was more than ready to help. No only did he make himself available to receive my mail but he also told me he would be happy to go to the post office in case he missed mail delivery. He has a note in the room to contact him 24 hours a day with any problems and he means it! He also puts the equivalent of a care package in your room, or his version of a mini-bar. He leaves snacks and bottled water in your room for purchase, but he provides them at cost. A snicker bar was 75 cents. Well, at that price, I had to eat one even though it's not on my list of foods I should be eating! Oh, and the beds are very comfortable, too!

I am so glad I stayed at the Silvanus Lodge. If I find myself back in the Hudson Vally this would be my first choice!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
THIS is my normal experience, guests that are far nicer than me! I wish I was as good as you say - you just made it easy. Thank you for the kind words - the area is beautiful and I'm sure that helps. Most people are so happy being in the country that they "think" I'm nicer than I am! :)

Been to Silvanus Lodge? Share your experiences!