“Not At All "Individual Thinker" Friendly” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Silvanus Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hillsdale
Silvanus Lodge
You added Silvanus Lodge to your Saves list
9350 Route 22, Hillsdale, NY 12529   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hillsdale
Rhinebeck
“Not At All "Individual Thinker" Friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but the degree to which i am frustrated with how i was treated by this place certainly called for a warning to others. First off i would like to point out that i have not stayed at this place, We would have liked to, had our reservation not been canceled due to "unreasonable needs"... which were simply to have the blankets washed. So here goes the story, let it serve as a warning to anyone expecting to be treated in a kind and respectful manner:

My significant other and I were planning a simple weekend away at catamount for snowboarding. I should point out that this would have been our first vacation just the two of us. We got a great deal on the lift tickets and the only other factor was lodging. After a short search silvanus lodge came up. It seemed the perfect place to go with a great website. Everything i read led me to believe that the folks there were warm and welcoming, although the stories of the "troublesome" customers kind of stayed in the back of my mind. It seemed funny that they would make such an effort to justify their actions and place all the blame on the customer. Usually I would expect that negative experiences are soon forgotten but this place pins them up for all to see. I'm not quite sure where they were going with these stories; making the past customers, who were not completely satisfied, out to be an you-know-what. Never the less it was not a deal breaker, although the writing was on the wall. We decided to go all out, and book the best room for two nights. At the bottom part of the checkout, the lodge even asks if you have any special requests. We decided to exercise this option with three requests. Since we enjoy cooking, and the room had a kitchen, but the contents of the kitchen were not listed, we asked for a list of utensils so we would know what else to bring. We assumed the lodge would already have this on hand. The second request was meant as more of a joke, and was phrased as such. We asked for the "awesome cow chair", the one seen in the pictures. We expected this request not to be filled and it was meant as more of a shout out to the interesting decor found in the pictures. The last request, apparently a deal breaker, was that all the bedding and blankets be washed / changed. Unreasonable? you decide. In my opinion if i am spending $300 for a nice weekend with my sweetheart i would at least like the bed to be clean. I had heard that health regulations with this sort of thing are a bit lax but that a simple request would ensure that everything is fresh. Phew, a load off my mind that everything is good and sorted out. Two days later I received an email essentially stating that we need to talk so that they could "provide a comfortable stay based on our needs". Okay? not sure why we need to talk but whatever, A call isn't so bad. The first few tries, in spite of numerous calls throughout the business hours of the day, there was no response. Day two. They decided to come into work and actually answer the phone.
So we talk:
me: "Do you guys change the mattress pads?"
them: "...what are mattress pads??"
... ok guess not.. lets try this again
me: "Do you wash the blankets and quilts?..
them: "No because if we did it would cost the guest an extra $30 to $40 a night."
me: "But i only need them changed once, before our stay."
them: "Well since we cant meet you needs we will cancel the reservation for you."

..gladly. click.

Truthfully i'm not sure what was so unreasonable about clean blankets. Even if it would have cost $30. I was surprised they would have given up a weekend stay for that measly amount. The option was never even given to us to pay an extra $30-40 for the "luxury" of clean bedding, if the money was so important to them. Given the degree to which our request was not only ignored, but rudely, and our reservation quickly canceled, I do not expect that had we been there the experience would have been at all pleasurable. For a place whose catchphrase is "lodging for the individual thinker", i find it oddly unsettling that all but the cookie-cutter, non-special request guests are welcomed. So there you go. Don't ask for anything and just enjoy the stay however THEY want you to. This is just the facts of what happened. I'm sure a response will be posted to this making it somehow my fault or justifying their response. Maybe even an apology and an excuse about having a bad day or something or other. I tried to include every last detail of this short encounter so that you can come to your own conclusions.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience with the motel. We canceled the reservation after speaking with you because it was clear that we would not be able to deliver the romantic weekend you were seeking. We will not mislead a guest just to make an extra buck.

If I remember correctly, you said that you are a maid at a lodging business and that you wanted to be sure we did not do as poorly as your employer. I apologize as I feel like I did a poor job in communicating our policies and procedures regarding the cleaning of linen.

I have over 25 years in the hospitality business. Prior to the Silvanus Lodge my background was with four star / four diamond properties. Here at my motel we have a strict linen policy that meets and even exceeds the highest industry standards today. All sheets and towels are changed daily AND certainly after every stay. All mattress pads, blankets, bedspreads and pillow protectors are cleaned on a consistent, regular basis. We take pride in our efforts.

I hope that you were able to find a place that was able to meet all of your expectations for that first perfect experience with your significant other. We certainly wish you the best in all your future travel endeavors.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have always loved the area, and most often stayed at local NY State cabins. Silvanus Lodge is a greater value, so conveniently located and nostalgic of my childhood family roadtrip stays across the US
We were a Dad and two boys on a CT midweek ski trip and needed a central location, and have long known about the lodge. The building is mid-century modern with accommodations and features circa 1965: cozy and cool. We really only slept and showered here, and our basic needs were happily satisfied.
But beyond the mundane, Steele was the perfect accommodating and hospitable host. We had never met but were familiar through social media, and it was like we were old friends. Restaurant recommendations were spot on, and when we drove off with the key that morning, they were happily accepted that evening with no scolding. One early morning when leaving for skiing, a go cup was provided for much needed coffee.
Silvanus Lodge is a small local business in tiny welcoming Hillsdale NY. It is not the Ritz Carlton. It harkens back to the early days of road tripping exploration and adventure, and satisfaction in newfound friendly comfort and convenience.

• Stayed February 2013
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When you first walk in the lobby of the Silvanus, you immediately feel comfortable. The owner is very welcoming and attentive. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The location couldn't be more perfect. Just down the road from the Berkshires.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Based on favorable reviews here, we stayed two nights here and enjoyed it tremendously.

We were greeted by the very friendly owner Theo who explained to us all the possible things to do with some recommendations for us specifically. His recommendations were dead on! There are 2 brochures and 2 maps that have all the info about the area.
Because there is no cellphone coverage in the area, the Silvanus lodge offers free phone calls in the rooms for the whole USA (nice touch!).
The price is just right for a motel with nice, clean swimming pool and amenities in the room. One can see the attention to details like the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, etc. The AC was a small window unit working on a timer that got the room was at agreeable temperature.
Only coffee is served in the morning. For Europeans the coffee is a good tasting Americano.

Room Tip: The place has 4 rooms with 1 queen size, 4 rooms with double queen size and one separate suite #9 wi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
What a lovely surprise to hear from you, and with this really great review. I remember you well as you were on your way to Buffalo. I had recommended that you stop to see the Frank Lloyd Wright - Martin home. I hope you were able to see it. It is one of my favorites... that with the falls. And thank you for the great review. It is a great spot for a summer adventure. Would love to have you here again!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I love this homely, understated lodge so much I almost don't want to tell anyone else about it. I've been coming up here from Brooklyn every other weekend for most of the summer. It's peaceful, the pool is beautiful, the proprietor is very down-to-earth, and the rooms are refreshingly affordable. Just keep it to yourself, ok ;)

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Okay, I'll freely admit I muscled this review out of this particular guest. He's a marketing expert, and he is great. I want lots more guests like himself and his friends. So... I figure his commments might bring in a few more just like him. THANK YOU, while I twisted your arm, the words were all yours. You are terrific.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

If your in the area of Northwest Connecticut very close to the NY and MA line don't ignore considering a stay here. The owner, Steele, is charming. The rooms are operating room clean, and the decor is unique. My wife and I have spent weekends there when we attend the races at Lime Rock Park. A variety of restaurants to suit different palates are abundant. Check this gem out. Trust me.By the way on my ratings I indicated and excellent restaurant and fitness center. Silvanus has neither. They don't need them.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and overlook and expansive lawn and pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Well, this was a pleasant surprise. These guests have been here a few times. Once again I think our excellent remarks reflect more on the guest than the property. If I could rate the guests, they would be in the five-star category. First rate people that are a pleasure... always nice to have them return. Limerock seems to generate some of the best guests. Thanks again for thinking of the motel. Guests like yourselves make me want to work harder!
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We decided to visit the Hudson Valley for the Labor Day weekend at the very last minute, and luckily Silvanus Lodge had a room to accommodate 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) on Sat and Sun nights. The owner Steele was very helpful in giving us tips. (He does everything at the lodge btw!) The pool was awesome. The cat was cute. Our bill came out to be less than $300 for 2 nights on a summer holiday weekend, which was unbelievable. You can feel the owner's love in every detail at this lodge. Conveniently located on Rt 22 (our favorite country road), the lodge was perfect for us to go check out many towns and sights in the area. They even have a BBQ grill for guests to use. Next time we come back, we need to take advantage of that for sure.

Room Tip: Heard that Room 9 has kitchenette. It's also disconnected from the rest of the lodge, so you mig...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you... perfect children always welcome. Also adventurers. These are the kind of guests that would be happy almost anywhere, and we are glad you choose to be happy here! Please, please come again soon.

Been to Silvanus Lodge? Share your experiences!