“it was was 4th time and had a blast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
You added Rocking Horse Ranch Resort to your Saves list
600 State Route 44/55, Highland, NY 12528   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
NY
“it was was 4th time and had a blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

It was my 4th time at Rocking Horse Ranch, I went once when I was a child; and now I have taking my family to the ranch for 3 years. The place is beautiful, the landscaping is awesome. The ranch is very clean...they is always a staff on hand to maintain the cleanless. The staff is friendly. The food is yummy. I would go back again. The price is just right.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I have been going to Rocking Horse Ranch since I was 10 years old in 1969 when my parents would take me and the family for our summer vacation every year. It is 40 years later, and now married, I have taken my wife numerous times and she loves it too. It is the perfect place to meet and mingle with people, and quite often you'll see some of the same people you may have met on past trips to the ranch. The owners, staff, and all their employees couldn't be more helpful. They make you feel like it is not a business. They make you feel at home at all times and they are very generous. It is a fabulous place for kids and families as well as couples and singles. Everyone, regardless of age joins in all the fun and has a great time. The grounds are clean and the gardening is beautiful and kept very neat. The nighttime entertainment is good, the front desk workers are a big help and always have a positive attitude as well as a big smile. They'll even order you newspapers for the following morning. The food is very good, particularly breakfast which is a varied buffet. Rocking Horse Ranch has given me and my family many happy memories over the past 40 years and their are still some members working there since my first vacation in 1969. We've never been there during the winter, but hopefully we'll get to try that sometime in the future. Their New Year's Eve weekend sounds enticing. Rocking Horse Ranch is a wonderful vacation venue, and I give it a very positive recommendation for everyone

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Brick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I recently visited the "ranch" with my mom and my sister. I love horses and they have the most beautiful well cared for horses;great wranglers-friendly and helpful. Many other activies for adults and kids. Nighly entertainment- you are never bored. The food is top notch and plenty of it. The servers were friendly and very accommodating as was the rest of the staff. Fun place for any age group!

• Stayed September 2009
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My family and many of our extended family members have been going to Rocking Horse Ranch for nearly 20 years. It is the best family resort out there. There is something for everyone, whatever your interests may be. My 9 year old nephew was asked a few years ago whether he would like to go to Disney World or RHR and do you know what he chose? You got it, RHR! The kids have a blast and the adults can either join in on the activities or relax by the lake or pool. There is no question of your child's safety or well being whether they are in day care, horseback riding, learning to water ski, or enjoying any of the other countless activities available. It seems like they add something new every year in terms of things to do and the grounds are prettier every time I visit. The staff couldn't be more helpful and accommodating, from the reception desk, to the wranglers, to the activities coordinators, to the dining staff, really top notch customer service! Rocking Horse Ranch gets my highest recommendation! Can't wait to get back there!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

We made our 4th trip to the Ranch this past Labor Day weekend and we, yet again, had an absolute blast. We were also pleasantly suprised by the updated guest rooms. They were really cute. Our children are 5 and 8 and they love it there. I have been suprised to see some negative comments about this place so I feel compelled to add my two cents should anyone be considering a trip to the Ranch. I wonder whether people just have unrealistic expectations. This is a ranch not the Ritz Carlton. That said, I have stayed at many Ritz Carltons and have never had as much fun at any of them with my children as we do at the Ranch.

We live about 90 minutes from the Ranch so we are not going there as our big vacation of the year - just a nice long weekend away from the grind and some great time to play with our children. For that purpose, the Ranch is perfect. It is friendly and clean and offers us an endless range of activities we can easily experience with our children. I find it to be nearly effortless parenting and a real focus on fun, fun, fun.

We enjoy it all - the riding, the pools, the cocktail parties by the pool, the rock climbing, the boating, the beautiful flowers all around the resort and the wonderful staff who does not change much from year to year. We make great memories there even if it is not a 5-star hotel with fabulous cuisine. But the rooms, food and common spaces are much more than just adequate - they are cute enough and tasty enough.

I really highly recommend this place for two nights and three full days of fun. We have always gone over the summer but we are intending to try it in the winter too this year. If you go with the right attitude to just be casual and play with your kids in a really cute and fun setting I think you will love it as much as we do. Don't hesitate to go - just go!

One word about the pricing. It is expensive but it truly is all inclusive. We left this trip with a $36 bill for just a few extra cocktails we drank outside of the free cocktail hour. There is no nickel and diming at the ranch ever and we love that too. I have never left the Ranch feeling ripped off or that it was not worth the price. Never.

Give it a try . . .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We love Rocking Horse Ranch but that is because we love watching our kids have fun. I have read the reviews good and bad, and thought I'd throw my two cents in. This is a cheeky, dated dude ranch. It's a complete throw back to the 70's and if you know that going in, you will be fine. It's a nice 2 day get away - longer than that and I'd go insane. I'm always amazed (and disgusted) that there are ever adults there without children. You go here for THE KIDS. Why a couple would want to go is beyond me - it's complete tailored to kids. The food is not great but it works for the kids, and there is plenty of it. They have games, boats, horseback, hayrides, swimming (indoor/outdoor) campfires, rock climbing, etc. The nightclub shows are for the kids. The "resort" is essential an old hotel/motel but it is very well kept, given the age. Expect a room that is old school but clean. Very basic so bring all your amenities with you. There is a bar for the adults but again, not an adult hang out - more like a quick drink to calm your nerves from a all the kids - and mostly the unruley ones that the parents dont' control. Be advised, kids run up and down the hall so I'd recommend a the 2nd floor versus the main floor. We've been going for years and it's true, last minute bookings are a huge difference in price. Also, over the yeasrs, I'd say the "young staff" has become annoying because they do not provide the level of service the older staff does. I'd like to see Rocking Horse make an effort to train the young staff better. Also, would love to see them have a strict no running in the hall policy. Overall this is a great place to take your kids for a few days max.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
white plains
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We had very high expectations after reading some of the reviews on this site. However reality did not even come close to what we had expected after spending so much money on this vacation. When we finally found this place, which was near impossible because they dont have a real address that any GPS recognizes, we were let down to see a 70's style resort with a drab image. My husband went to check in and he was overcome with cigarette smoke because for some reason the smoking area is on the front porch entrance, we are all very sensitive to cigarette smoke so we all had to hold our breath whenver we decided to use the front entrance, smoking area. At the front desk we were greeted by young clerks/ teenagersor twenty somethings, which they seemed overwhelmed by the process. Most of the guests were complaining about price differences in what they were quoted on the phone and what they were actually being charged. It seemed if you got loud and made a scene they would lower your price until you became quiet and satisfied. We noticed errors in our bill because they had promised us a 35% disount but the bill only reflected 15%, they had to get a manager who was not happy about lowering the price to what we were promised. We were given a room on the first floor and we instantly were overcome with a moldy damp smell in the hallways, I dont think there is any AC or ventilation in any of the hallways. When we got to our room we were surprised how we could barely fit our bags through the entry. The room was hotel style and nothing to really speak of, very standard. There was no fridge to our suprise for the kids milk and bottles. There was no ice machine either to fill our cooler with so we could keep the kids bottles and milk cold.
The meals were not so great. Breakfast was a buffet with what looked like powdered eggs, cereal, and fruit. Lunch was the worst of the meals with pizza that had no flavor, and sloppy joes that were unedible, and salads. Dinner was fair with a limited selection of 4 choices. I had the ribs and they were mostly bone with hard to chew meat The entertainment was a huge letdown, it seems like they have the same shows from the seventies in a poorly lit basement style room. It appears the room has not been updated since they opened the place. We would have been better of sleeping than watching the shows that were offered. The magic show was boring. We were hoping for wi-fi but the only place in the entire resort that we could get a connection was in the main lobby area, this was not convenient as I wanted to use my computer in my room but I could net get any connection there. There are no safes in the rooms so you have to take all of your valuables with you wherever you go for safety. For some reason they have your room number printed on your key so if you lose your key anyone can go into your room, I asked them why they do this but noone had an answer for me. For the money we spent here we will never go back but we would go back to Woodloch Resort in the future as it beats this place hands down. The last thing I want to comment is that wehen speaking with other guests for the same weekend I could not believ the price differential in what people payed for the same room. Some people payed full price and others were offered up to 65% off the rates. It seems that if you play hardball and keep asking them to drop the price they give in to the lower price in an effort to fill the rooms, last minute deals are also effective in getting the lowest rates since a lot of people we meet booked on that Thursday for a weekend stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!