“Fun, safe riding and many activities for kids and adults” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
You added Rocking Horse Ranch Resort to your Saves list
600 State Route 44/55, Highland, NY 12528   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Fun, safe riding and many activities for kids and adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We went as a family group of 9, 6 adults and 3 kids, ages 5-8. The children who were 7 and over could go on the trail rides, and the younger child could enjoy as many escorted pony rides as she wanted to, based on the times offered.

We had a wonderful time. We were in the main lodge, which I would recommend from a convenience standpoint. The breakfast buffet had many selections, but you could also order an omelette to your specs if you wish. Lunch also had selections from either indoor or outdoor buffet setup (with music outside) based on the day, and dinner was from a menu, with multiple selections. Also note that if you want a special item they will try to provide it if possible.

The pools were nice and warm, and everyone enjoyed the outdoor and indoor pool slides.
We also went on the banana boat, which I would recommend for older kids and adults.

The tennis courts were nice, and ping pong etc was also available. Golf ranges and courses were close by as well.

They had shows every evening which were nice family entertainment. Outdoor campfires on a couple of the nights (with marshmallows) were a hit too.

Note: small refrigerators were included no charge

Room Tip: We were in 220-224, which gave easy access to the stables, playground, and pool. A little longer wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our family found this little gem @ 5 yrs ago and have been lucky enough to have made it to see how they celebrate every major holiday except 4th of july since then. (I hope to put that on the calendar next year or the year after.)

Left 2 days ago after celebrating our now 5 yo twins' birthday(s?). "we want to go to Rocking Horse ranch!!!" AND IT IS GOING STRONGER THAN EVER!!! Every time we go back they have either things that have been renovated or at least new plans in process.

Activities vary by season, weather and age, but if you can't find something to do there, you must be trying not to do anything. ( also a great past time, with beautiful trees and lawn chairs just right for curling up with a book outside or big couches by the fireplace inside if one of the other group activities is not going on in the main lodge inside.- in which case there are other rooms one can explore.

I especially want to praise the barn staff and child care staff.- The Wrangler's have done a very good job over the years with matching the older family members with horses that suit and build our riding skills. While our younger kids love going to the children's activity area so much that we sometimes have a hard time getting them to leave it -to go do other things around the facility.

This trip, the front desk, and restaurant staff also were key in helping us pull off a birthday party that hopefully the twins and other family members who were there will remember. ( and if not ,the photography staff helped me get a few of those pics I never seem to be able to get myself -so they will have to :)

Thanks again RHR!!!

Can't wait to see y'all again !!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We went to Rocking Horse Ranch in April of 2013 and vowed to come again. This year we went in mid June and it was even better! Place is still spotless, with some of the nicest, kindest and most warm staff you will find anywhere. Everyone from horse wranglers to housekeeping is just really nice. Going in the summer the outdoor pool is open, and heated, and there is fishing and banana boat rides that are not running in April. My 8 yr old daughter and I went during Senior week and there were a few loads of senior citizens and I really appreciated how the staff took such good care of the older folks, never loosing patience or being short with them. Instead they all went out of their way to speak to them and make them smile. Once again the horses are clean, well cared for, treated with respect. My daughter loved day camp so much she begged to stay. This year we were in the new rooms in the main lodge. They are SUPER CLEAN, brand new bathrooms, comfy beds that smell nicely of clean laundry. I feel safe being here alone with my daughter and I just can't recommend this place more highly. Food is abundant, and there is always something to do. Clean, well lit, garden like setting, surrounded by nice folks. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: If you can afford the price difference, stay in the main lodge for convenience and upgraded rooms...
New Paltz, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Three generations of our family recently had the wonderful pleasure of vacationing at the RHR. We range in age from 4 up to 70 ... & an amazing time was had by all. In fact, the grandchildren [who have all been to Disney] said that they much preferred the fun they had at the RHR. There was so much to do ... & we already are planning our return trip to this vacation-land where the staff goes out of their way to make sure that everyone is having a good time. The food was healthy & delicious ... & the ice cream alone worth a return trip in & of itself. Our family has traveled a lot ... & it's wonderful to have the RHR right in our backyard. No airfare. No trip to the airport. No hassles ... just a really terrific time for children/adults of all ages.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for the upper floor.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I love Rocking Horse Ranch. I love the food and the fact that it's all inclusive. I'd like to stay for a month. We try to go every year. I've ridden a horse the last two times we were there. I go with my daughter and my grandchildren. They love it as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

we had a wonderful time at the ranch. there was so much to do for both my 7 year old daughter and myself. the indoor and outdoor pool, waterslides, bungee jumping, boating, waterskiing, banana boating. we took advantage of all the resort had to offer. hands down, the highlight of our trip was the horse back riding. the staff was knowledgeable and patient. TJ and Lisa were amazing. my daughter requested her favorite horse, Harley, every time we rode and was accommodated. the trails we rode on were great and gave a lot of opportunity for an advanced rider to canter on the horse. the horses are well trained so any skill level can ride. the ranch has over 100 horses so guests who wanted to ride numerous times were accommodated. it is definitely the best, well run, horse back riding program in the tristate area!!!!
the only problem was how expensive the rocking horse ranch was. I came alone with my daughter but was charged for double occupancy in my room. that drastically increased the price. we cannot wait to go back again and again and again, but have to wait until the ranch runs some promotions or specials on the price to make it more affordable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Danielle,

We’re so happy to hear how much you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the high praise, especially in regards to our horseback riding program and wrangler team. Our top priority is to deliver a fun-filled, memorable experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

I would just like to clarify your comment about being overcharged. Yes, our rates are based off having 2 adults in every room but when only one adult is in the room we discount our price to one-and-a-half adults versus charging for two. I promise you this is standard practice for all-inclusive family resorts. Please check our website often for specials and promotions and feel free to call Reservations any time – they are more than happy to work with you on finding pricing that best meets your budget.

Kyle, GM
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had heard it was a great place and we had way more fun than we expected. My friend and I took 14 girls to the ranch for a Girl Scout weekend. The girls loved the indoor pool and slides and the large outdoor pool. They all spent a lot of time in the pools. They loved the bungee jumping and rock climbing wall. I loved the bungee jumping too! We all used the paddle boats, some of us played bocce, and we used the arcade and game rooms. The food was really good. The ranch provided something for everyone to eat, even the more selective eaters. The wait staff was able to find a spot for all 16 of us to eat together. The girls loved the horseback riding. However our advanced rider was disappointed in her trail ride leader who did not realize our girl has been riding and jumping for years. We stayed 2 nights and 2.5 days and never ran out of things to do.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!