“A teen's perspective” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Whitestone, New York
“A teen's perspective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My mom suggested I write a review so being that its Sunday night and I'm very bored, I figured why not. My whole family recently spent the week at the Rocking Horse Ranch and had a pleasant time. The service and the food were great and all the staff members were extremely friendly. The entertainment was fun to watch, but the only thing I didn't like and the reason I gave this resort 3 stars was that there wasn't much to do. Now hear me out, you all have probably checked the website and seen a ton of activities listed to enjoy throughout the day but most of them would only be suitable for children. They claim to have an "indoor waterpark" but all it really is is a small area for kids to play along with a few slides. On the lower level they have a pool with a big part of it set aside for these floating platforms to walk from one end to the other. I'm sure the little kids probably loved it but as a 15 year old, it wasn't that enjoyable. The only thing that I liked about this "indoor water park" was the giant water slide that never seemed to have a line of more than 3 people. Moving on to the Fun Barn. This seems like it was designed for days when there is bad weather to give the kids something to do indoors. It has a small playpen with a bouncy house and some ping-pong tables set up. This wasn't for me and something I spent very little time doing. Now moving on to the good things about the ranch. The banana boats were fun and something I looked forward to enjoying everyday, as well as water skiing which was another one of my favorites. The outdoor pool was also good but a bit small for me. It only went down to 4 feet which is not very deep compared to an average pool size which goes down to about 5 feet. Moving on to horseback riding, this was an activity that I enjoyed to do every morning. I would always ride along the intermediate trail and have a good time. The wranglers were very trained and fun to be with. The daily activities they had throughout the day kept me occupied when there was nothing to do. One thing I was really upset with was that the game show activities were gone! They used to have activities like Minute-to-Win-It and Lets Make A Deal which were soo much fun, and it was a big mistake not having any this year. That was something my whole family loved to watch and a real disappointment that they no longer had it. They should also try bringing back some fun activities like water ballon tosses or paddleboat races. And lastly my favorite activity of all was a nightly event they held almost everyday called "Teen Scene." All we really did here was play dodgeball but it was really fun. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't every night. Get rid of the dance party and just have teen scene every night! So that basically sums up everything and my biggest suggestion to this resort would be to create more activities that teens can enjoy. Water skiing, one of the best activities, is fun but you can only do it every other day and it only lasts like 5 minutes so thats the only bummer. Horseback riding, and banana boating are great but there needs to be more. I would suggest having teen only activities throughout the day and to make sure the person running it is someone cool like Mike, not Molly and Squirrel. I mean those guys are awesome but they're meant to be around kids, not teens. Also they really NEEED a bigger pool like I said earlier, cause the ones you have now aren't deep enough. Also I would suggest making it indoors cause I would imagine that the one you have now gets very packed in the wintertime. And if you want to advertise Big Splash as an indoor waterpark, you should think of installing some waterpark rides. Oh and lastly, one more suggestion I have is too try and have pool parties at night. This could be done like once or twice a week where the outdoor pool is open with food and entertainment (just a thought). Overall, this place is good for small family vacations and just a nice way to getaway.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Princeton Junction, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited RHR as a large family group of 8 : 4 Adults and 4 Kids/Teens last summer. Very easy drive from Greater NY area. Once there, we just did not know where the 3 days whizzed past. Sumptous meals (even for Veg), Nice Size Rooms and a sprawling campus. Kids ended up doing everything on site - Horse Riding, Pool (Indoor/Outdoor), Games, Rifles, Archery..Their small lake on the premises is a great draw giving Kayak time for the whole family. We even went to an early morning walk across the Hudson on the bridge just a short driving distance from the resort. Ofcourse, RHR is not a cheap vacation, but surely value for money. So plan it well and in advance. As it tends to be full in all major weekends.
Surely worth a visit for all folks in the NY NJ neighborhood

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
East Haddam, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went to Rocking Horse with teens and friends it was great. Everything was spotless, staff was great. We spoke with Tim who seemed very interested in hearing about ideas for older teens. He was so friendly and very courteous. While on one of the horseback rides we had the pleasure of talking with wrangler Charlie and Gloria Tuck. It was so nice and the trails were great. My daughter had never ridden before and the staff was amazing. I have a muscular disease and they adjusted the saddle and stirrups as I needed and assisted me beautifully in mounting and dismounting. We had previously gone to Pinegrove the month before and were very nervous. My husband and 2 kids want to go back in the winter. The water sports and mini golf were great for the whole family. The food was great. I can not say enough great things about Rocking Horse.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Rocking Horse Ranch is the best family vacation ever. We've been going with our family of 15 for the past 8 years and each year just gets better. The facility is extremely clean, well run and the activities are suitable for all ages. When my family was younger they enjoyed the day camp available for children. The horse back riding, paddle boating and sports activities are awesome not to mention the water skiing and banana boating along with too many additional activities to mention. The food is well prepared and the servers are always friends and eager to help with special dietary preferences. It's a great facility for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: I would choose a room in the lodge and on the second floor. Being on the top level is quieter with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am going to take a different route in my review with hopes this gets shared with the ENTIRE staff in the stables, most importantly Jeff and Lisa....
I cannot say enough about the compassion and care that goes into your horses and their safety ..We spent six days at the ranch with the main reason for our stay being the horses!! My daughter and I stayed with my good friend and her daughter . I myself am a beginner but the three of them are all advanced riders and had the best time taking 3-4 rides a day. We got to know every horse and Jeff and Lisa would try their best to get them all on their favorite friend.. But every horse was so sweet!!!! My friend is actually a horse veterinarian , who kept that to herself for the stay I should add, and was beyond impressed with the care and the health of every horse ! Montana, one of the seniors was over 40 years old!! It was amazing to find a great majority of them were rescue horses! This was awesome to hear!!
I could go on about the cleanliness of the entire facility and the quality of the food and abundance of activities but I can see that is covered by previous reviews!!
Please let the entire staff in the stables from Jeff to one of the newest Wranglers we met David and of course Lisa... They are a wonderful bunch of people and deserve a great big "Good Job"!!!!
It wouldn't be called a ranch without all of them and the horses!!!

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We took our twin 8 year old daughters July of 2012. It's now 1 year later and I am looking forward to planning another trip in the future. Yes, it's mainly all about the kids, however, I as the Mom had a great time too. I especially loved the horse back riding and the waterskiing. My girls and I would plan how many activities we could fit into each day. Everything is close to each other so you can get from one planned event to another within a couple of minutes. Food was great. You sit with other families and get to here about what activities they are enjoying and where they are from. We were there for the fireworks 1 night, went to 5 shows, enjoyed a Bon fire, wagon ride, banana boat rides, horse back riding 1-2 x's / day, swimming, kayak, fishing, mini golf, fun barn for ping pong, tennis, bunging jumping, etc. where else can you go to do all that in one day? We had a great time. I miss it. (It didn't let me choose 2012 July visit so I put 2013 July)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My company (traveling from Manhattan) of about 70 people booked an outing here on what was likely one of the hottest days of the summer so far. Despite the heat, we still held our outdoor activities and the staff stayed in costume the entire time to keep us in the ranch mindset (I kind of felt bad for them - but we had fun!). During our games, we were supplied with thermoses of water, which went fast. I was fortunate to get fresh water from the top of the 2nd thermos because by the time it got to the bottom, the water was milky and pink - someone said there had been milk/milkshake in there beforehand (?) I don't know what it was but it seemed unsanitary and made me wonder what else had been in there. Lunch was served outside under a white canopy with ample seating for everyone. I thought they had a decent variety of options and appreciated the selection of fruit, dessert and drinks.

Some of us went to the front desk to find out what activities were available. The young lady was very helpful in pointing out some things we'd be interested in and letting us know what times they closed so we could plan accordingly. I did the BB gun shooting range and visited the animals. Most of the horses were indoor b/c of the heat, but there was a pig and some goats outside in a pen. There was shelter for them but the enclosure seemed like it could've been larger, especially if this is where they spend most of their time. They were pretty friendly and fun to pet. I'm not sure if it was because of the heat, but the outdoor pool was pretty vacant, so a bunch of us ended our day in the water playing volleyball.

All in all, it was a nice place for our one-day outing. While I don't think I would go there again unless I had kids, it's nothing against the resort; I simply prefer not to be around so many children when I go somewhere to relax. However, I would recommend it to friends or take nieces or nephews there again and hopefully get the full experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Ma V,

Thank you for your comments, and thank you even more for recommending us to your family and friends who have children! We certainly are a great place for families and we are also have a lot of fun with our corporate partners that come for different events throughout the year.

As for the Thermos, it sounds like a miscommunication. We do not use the Thermos for any diary-type product. We hold ourselves to the highest sanitation levels because of the guests we serve. I will look into this situation, but it certainly does not seem typical of Rocking Horse.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kyle, GM

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!