“"Can't say enough about Rocking Horse Ranch"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
You added Rocking Horse Ranch Resort to your Saves list
600 State Route 44/55, Highland, NY 12528   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Succasunna, New Jersey
“"Can't say enough about Rocking Horse Ranch"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This has been our 6th trip to RHR and it always meets all of our expectations! There are so many activities that if you are bored it is because you chose not to participate. As a matter of fact, they were completely booked this weekend but it never felt crowded because of all the different activities that are offered. The staff is phenomenal, from house keeping to the front desk to the dining hall to the entertainment staff to the day care to the wranglers! They make our children feel like a million bucks every time we are there. This was the first time we took advantage of the day care and let me tell you it won't be the last. My daughter had a great time there. I met Kyle, the general manager, today and he could not have been nicer and more attentive! RHR really does a top notch job in keeping the facility clean and attractive. We are always a bit sad when we have to leave. We will continue to return to RHR for many years to come I am sure! My daughter's friend came on the trip with us and she cannot wait to bring her family! Great job RHR keep it up!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main lodge are roomier and have been renovated. The rooms in the Oklahoma building...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me for my 28th birthday. I'm an experienced rider and trainer. We enjoyed every moment. It was very kid orientated but there was so much room for us to do our own activities. The horses, barn and wranglers were all great. It's amazing how many horses and people they have coming and going and it's safe, friendly and the horses are well taken care of. Besides riding the different trails you can go water skiing, go on the banana boat, kayaking, mini golf... You name it and you can do it. Everything was clean and beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013
Killingworth, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This vacation included myself, husband, two children 11 and 2 1/2 and my parents. We ha a room in the main lodge, with two queen beds and bunk beds which the kids loved. We did have to have the ladder removed as the 2 1/2 year old continually climbed when we were in the room. The room was spacious which allowed our younger one to run around. The room was clean and also had a small refrigerator. We were on the first floor close to the indoor pool which was great. We were also allowed to check in early which was such a nice surprise, and check out later. You are guaranteed 1 scheduled ride a day, however we rode 4 times a day by getting in the stand by line. You can ride up to six times a day if you wanted. There is also shuffleboard and bocce which we played at night. There are two pools one indoor with a toddler area next to it and an outdoor pool. There are also pony rides which my 2 1/2 year old loved, although it is a full sizes horse. They also have an indoor fun center that the kids loved to go to at night that has ping pong, a bounce house and obstacle course. There is also outdoor bungee jumping, paddle boats, water skiing, and banana boat rides. We stayed 2 nights and 3 days. We were given appetizers, and dinner the first night, 3 meals and appetizers on the second and breakfast and lunch on the third. We preordered balloons and a birthday cake forum daughters 11th birthday which she loved. The staff sang Happy Birthday, which we loved. ALL of the staff are super friendly and accommodating. I really cannot say enough about this place, being our first time we were very pleased with the overall experience and will be going back in 2014, we will stay longer next time as we had such a good time.

• Stayed July 2013
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our first time at Rocking Horse. Myself, my husband, daughter and her husband, and two grandchildren, ages 11 and 21/2.We stayed 2 nights,3 days.
We each had a room: my daughter and family had a room in the main house and was very roomy. Two queen beds and 2 bunk beds(which the kids loved).We had a single in an adjoining building:: double bed chest of drawers, T V ,and a small refrigerator.
The best for my husband, daughter and the 11 year old was the horse back riding. Although they assign you a time, getting in the stand by line always gets you on a ride at other times.The wranglers and staff at the barn are very nice and helpful.
The resort has an indoor pool for kids, and one for toddlers(which the 2 1/2 year loved). Outside there is another pool. All have slides. The grounds are well maintained and many things to do: tennis, shuffle board, Bocci, buggee,water skiing, paddle boats.
The price of the room includes all meals. First day 3:00 appetizers, ,dinner, 2nd day all three meals plus a 3:00 appetizer with a specialty drink.Last day, breakfast and lunch. The food was very good and the serving staff in dinning room were great!

New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Needed to come up with a last minute vacation and decided to go back to Rocking Horse Ranch after a six year absence. We had been there four previous times when our daughters were younger. They are now 12 and 9 and had little recollection of previous vacations at RHR except for family videos. They were very excited and absolutely loved going out on the daily trail rides. The wranglers from the headman Scott on down are all concerned with safety and making sure you are matched up with a suitable horse. My wife who had a fear of riding actually came with us on two trail rides and looks forward to when she can ride again. Our room was clean, plenty of towels and was updated since our last visit. Updated bathroom with additional vanity outside bathroom was convenient. New indoor water slide was a big hit with my girls. Outdoor heated pool stocked with plenty of chairs and poolside party is terrific with frozen drinks and specialty d'oeuvres for all to enjoy. The grounds were immaculate as come to be expected. I have to believe that management must be treating staff right because all workers we encountered were helpful and genuinely polite. The archery/rifle range instructor was extremely nice and my girls loved going to that activity. The schedule of events put out daily has something for the whole family and depending on what you like you will always have something to try. The entertainment was top notch and we looked forward to each evenings show. They had a Birds of Prey demonstration our last day that was informative as well as entertaining. I recommend they bring presenter back knowing that guests will enjoy. Extra special was the banana boat ride which they went on twice for the first time. They had so much fun being pulled around the lake and when they tipped over it was even more fun. Finally what can I say about breakfast, lunch & dinner ? Outstanding, plentiful solid meals with enough choices that you go home a little heavier than when you arrived. We loved the outdoor family BBQ lunch under the party tent by volleyball courts. Outstanding servers who went out of their way to make sure we knew what was available. Our daughters loved the freedom of going up to create their own ice cream desert as well as choose from assortment of pies, cakes slices and cookies. Fresh fruit also plentiful. From a weekend stay to a longer stay you can't go wrong with choosing this gem of a family resort. They truly care about their guests feedback and I am sure all the improvements and investments made at resort are due to the owner and management listening to their guests. My advice is go to Rocking Horse Ranch, park your car and you won't have to move it everything onsite to make a memorable family vacation. Our daughters asked "When can we come again ? " What else can I say we love RHR !!!!!!!!!

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just got back from a weekend stay at RHR.. first the pros.. kids loved it, grounds well maintained, staff friendly. I must say my kids loved it!!!.. cons.. first off I arrived around 12:30 we had a long car trip and my kids were hungry. I was told we couldn't eat lunch with everyone else. our meal plan started at dinner. I was more than happy to pay extra for lunch but I was denied. I was instead told that the only lunch I could buy was in the lobby at the bar. the selection was fried bar food served in baskets where you had to sit at the bar or on a couch in the lobby.. that is a terrible policy. second the lines to sign up for waterskiing and horseback riding were long and annoying. the food is basically cafeteria style and the rooms (although clean) was a basic motel room. I wouldn't complain about the room and food if I wasn't paying 750 a night. even though I may seem like my cons out weighted the pros I would go back again as my kids had the time of there lives and lets face it your going to this place for them and not you the parent. :)

Pompton Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This vacation is great for all ages, and I mean ALLL ages, young and old. Tons of stuff to do, outside and inside. Staff is awesome, food was awesome, activities are awesome, lake is awesome, horse riding was awesome. I really cant say enough about the overall trip except it was awesome.

My only piece of advice would be if you vacation here, and you should, 4-5 days would be long enough, more then that might be too much. You can fit everything in within 4-5 days and still be excited with your vacation. I highly recommed it and will be back for sure.

Room Tip: The rooms are all close to activities so there really is no bad location, I had a room with two beds...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!