“Great 1st Class Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
You added Rocking Horse Ranch Resort to your Saves list
600 State Route 44/55, Highland, NY 12528   |
Special Offer
Kids Stay FREE!
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
NY
“Great 1st Class Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We went to the the ranch on Friday night in October. The staff was wonderful upon arriving; even showing us how to get to our room. We stayed in the main lodge on the 2nd floor. Our room was opposite the elevator. The room was very nice; we had 2 queen beds and 1 bunk bed. The bathroom was very nice with granite, wood and ceramic flooring. The staff in the dining room was very nice and their service was excellent; asking if we needed anything. We had a long table to ourselves, the other family had just left. The food was very good.We especially loved the jumbo shrimp cocktail and filet mignon on Saturday nite. We have teenagers and they had a great time. There were many activities to choose from. We visited Ghost Town, which was scary and fun. We went horse backing riding on Sat. You have to signup when you arrive for these events but there wasn't many time slots left. The only negative thing I can say was the many children at times running through the lobby and the staff did not tell them to slow down. One child ran into me with her drink and spilled it on me. Her parents were no where in sight. Other than that we had a wonderful weekend trip. We will definitely return. One of the staff member had mentioned the owner was visiting on Sunday but we didn't know if he was there; if so we would have talked to him about the wandering children.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor in the Lodge seemed a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Monroe, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a great ranch that we've visited before and continue to come back to. It's really a place geared towards families and kids, however we don't have kids and we still continue to come back for the fun of it! The horses are well cared for and the staff is so friendly. It's a lovely place to spend a fall weekend. The foliage was beautiful this weekend. We enjoyed the bonfire and live music, we also took out paddle boats and of course spent a lot of time with the wranglers on trail rides. All of the wranglers are attentive, safety concious, friendly and very helpful. In October they have a wonderful wine and cheese tasting event on Saturday afternoon and this is a really nice social event with delicious local cheeses. The only thing this place lacks is quality food. Plan your trip for the outdoor experience and activities, but not for the dining experience. The meals are buffet/cafeteria style and leave alot to be desired. All of the meals tend to be cooked ahead of time, reheated, and the meats (ribs, filet, chicken, hamburger) are served luke warm and dried out. If you prefer your steak cooked medium then request it rare, if you like your beef rare then skip this selection, it will never happen. However, the overall experience is positve and fun so we will return knowning that the meals are less than desireable.

Room Tip: The main lodge is central to all the activities so it's a nice location to stay. However, depend...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Nicole, thank you very much for your comments. I want to especially thank you for being a repeat guest to Rocking Horse Ranch and I think it is great that your family visits Rocking Horse even without children!

I sometimes forget that we get adults looking for a weekend getaway. Autumn is an absolutely gorgeous time of year in the Hudson Valley, and there’s no better place to enjoy the fall colors than right here at the Ranch. Thinking we should offer spa combo packages as well!

Your food comments have been noted. I promise you that our culinary team is dedicated to Ranch guests enjoying a memorable dining experience. I want to assure you that nothing is cooked in advanced then reheated prior to serving, as you suggest. Lou and Chef Paul have read your comments and are very interested in getting more feedback. We did receive many very positive comments regarding this past weekend’s dining.

If you would like to discuss this directly with me or one of my team members, just let me know. I do appreciate your feedback and I very much look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best Regards,
Steve, Owner
New Hampton, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went to the ranch for a girl scout weekend and my troop loved it. A lot of the activities were geared for younger girls so I was glad my older troop (ages 16 and 17) had fun. They loved the horse back riding, the pool, paddle boats, rock climbing, bunging jump, spooky house, game room, bouncy house, campfire, DJ and other activities. The resort is very clean and well kept, the staff is amazing and friendly, the rooms were clean and the food was excellent. There were about 500 girl scouts there and everything was so organized...thank you Robyn Funk for a job well done! There was so many activities planned and all had a great time. Even the adults had fun! Hope to return again!

Room Tip: main lobby
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've been going to RHR for 9 years now, and we can't say enough nice things about this place. First and foremost, this is a dude ranch, and the horses are well loved and cared for. Talk to any of the wranglers, and their love for the horses, and their respect for them as individuals, is apparent. They carefully track what work each horse is doing in any given day, so that they're not overworked. They try not to separate Butch and Major, because these two horses are happiest when they're together. They love these horses, and it makes it wonderful to ride here. The breakfast and lunch food isn't gourmet, but it is perfectly good, and there are lots of options. Our family has food restrictions, and the kitchen always cooks something special for us at every dinner, which we really appreciate. There is a lovely happy hour on Saturday with local wine and food stations under a tent on the lawn. In October, there is a GREAT haunted house (and for the little kids who are too scared to go through, a daylight tour of it so they can see it without being terrified). Although my daughter is now grown (17 years old), we still come back because Columbus day wouldn't be the say without RHR). We recognize a lot of guests, year after year, who feel the same way. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. It's not a budget vacation, but the grounds are beautiful, the rooms are clean, the staff are EVERYWHERE and are very helpful, and the horses are healthy and loved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I took my 3 boys ages 7,5,3 in June of 2012. We had an amazing time. The kids loved everything about it. The staff was so nice and friendly. The day camp was great. We stayed in the main lodge which I would recommend. It has been 4 months since our visit and my kids still ask almost daily to go back. We hope to return soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My family and I visited the Ranch over the Labor Day weekend. This was our second time and we were not disappointed. From check in to check out the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. The horseback riding is so much fun and the horses are gentle and my grandsons first time riding was handled with patience and was an enjoyable experience for him. The food is very good and the dining area is clean, there was always something that appealed to the children as well as the adults in our group. There are too many activities to list and something for everyone to do, we were never bored and thank goodness niether were the children! The scenery and surrondings are just beautiful and complete the ambience of the Ranch. All in all it was a wonderful trip and one we will be making again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were at the Ranch over Labor Day week-end. First of all, I'm easily "skeeved" and I was very impressed at how clean the Ranch is. The rooms are not fancy but large and very comfortable -- exactly what I'd expect for a Ranch.

I haven't ridden in years and was a bit nervous to get on a horse, but the staff was reassuring and the horses so gentle that I rode 2 more times during our stay.

There are tons of activities: the lake, bungee, rock wall, fun barn, inside games. The kids could always find something to do and we adults were perfectly happy by the pool or walking the beautiful grounds. We also enjoyed the lovely lounge area for after dinner drinks while the kids played games.

The show at night is very entertaining and family friendly. There was plenty of food available at all the meals, though the food Is not gourmet it is pretty good.

Considering we were a group with ages ranging from 81 to 9 years old, everyone really had a great time. And I must say that the staff was very friendly and willing to lend a hand whenever necessary -- you didn't have to search far and wide to find assistance. We found it to be an excellent value for our family and plan to make it an annual trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!