“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn

You added America's Best Value Inn to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3497 Route 9W (corner Grand Street), Highland, NY 12528 (Formerly Mick's Motel)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel on two occasions to visit the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park.. I am very satisfied with this hotel. It is very clean and cozy and has everything you need, microwave, fridge to keep your restaurant leftovers in, TV, several nice looking lamps, that put the room in a pleasant light, comfy beds and shampoo and soaps, all for a very good price. This hotel is run by Indian owners, who are very nice, helpful, and friendly. They gave me extra blankets upon my request. Considering my son attending the Culinary Institute of America, I will come for visits from time to time, and I will always stay in this hotel. Thank you for your good service!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Webster, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were wine trailing and the area has a lot of wineries. the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. There was a food mart across the street with gas pumps and a full service restaurant a block down the road. The price and location was great, I'd stay yhere again.

Peter the front desk staff was very difficult to understand wen talking on the phone wit im but was very nice and helpful when we arrived.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

America's Best Value Inn is the most accurately named hotel.
It doesn't have coffee in the room or shampoo/conditioner or free breakfast.
But it did have a refrigerator, microwave, iron, ironing board, soap, towels, cable tv and wireless internet.

The man woking there, was extremely nice. When my wireless connection wasn't working he gave me another connection to try and that worked. He was courteous and made sure to remind me that if I needed anything I could just call the office at any time.

Many of the food delivery places nearby closed at 10pm so plan ahead if you want to order in. There is a bagel and coffee place right next door but that also closed early at 3pm.

The lighting outside of the building was bright at night. I was in the parking lot late at night and felt completely safe.

I wanted to find an inexpensive place to stay for two days. One night cost about $55. This place was just right. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at this motel twice before and after a visit to New York city. The first room we got was pretty dingy, walls and furniture were in rough shape, bathroom was all right, place was relatively clean. On the second night we stayed in a different room and it was quite nice, new furniture, fresh paint, nice clean room and bathroom. Service was good, the guy was friendly and helpful. So I guess my recommendation depends on the room you get, if you get the run down room, it's not that great, but if you get the renovated one then I would say for the price it is a pretty decent place.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Neil R, General Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
I am very sorry that your accommodation did not meet your expectations at some of your visits, and very happy that you were satisfied at other times. This means we need to work harder to earn your return visits, which we promise to do. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks.
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed at the property in Highland for 4 nights in January 2012. It was our operating base for two trips to New York City as well as sightseeing in the Highland and Poughkeepsie areas.

I was initially nervous about the condition of the room and the possibility of bed bugs at the location after reading previous reviews.

I am pleased to state that the room was bed bug free and mostly clean. I am the person who wipes everything down with Clorox wipes anyway, but the room was mostly clean. The important areas such as sheets/linens, towels, pillows, toilet, sink, shower were sparkling clean.

I used the Clorox wipes on the door handles and the tv remote control and the table tops, desk top and top of microwave and mini fridge, light fixtures and sink and shower handles. Again that is just me being overly cautious mostly to avoid any type of flu or virus, etc.

It was obvious that the property is being renovated and updated. We were in room 206. The bathroom is large and nicely tiled. The stand up shower stall was nice and the supply of hot water was plentiful. The sink was slow to drain when washing hands and/or brushing teeth. Not a deal breaker just a minor annoyance. The bathroom light is connected to the bathroom vent/exhaust fan, which was loud, and came on every time the light was turned on.
Again this was a minor annoyance, not a deal breaker.

The satellite tv was a nice option to have. The heater/air conditioner unit under the window was loud. It took a few hours to figure out the temp control can be on the cool side and still keep the room warm. No mater how warm the main room was the bathroom was always cooler due to the proximity to the entrance door to the room which is also an exterior door.

We didn't use the microwave. The fridge froze two bottles of water and the contents of a Subway sub due to the thermostat control being broken.

The property offers free wifi, which we used everyday. We obtained a user name and password from the front desk.

The drive across the Mid-Hudson Bridge to Poughkeepsie costs a $1.00 going from Highland to Poughkeepsie. The price will be changing on January 20, 2012. I believe the rate is going to be $1.50.

The train station with the Metro North train to Grand Central leaves from the Puoghkeepsie side of the Hudson. We took this train twice for round trip to New York City. The ride was approx 1 hour and 30 minutes one way. There are many great food/drink venues in the Poughkeepsie area to enjoy. If you go research the route to know what you are looking at as you travel to Grand Central Terminal.

We also took advantage of the great January weather and enjoyed a walk on the Walkway over the Hudson- http://walkway.org

Overall we would certainly stay at this property again during future visits to the area. The room and facility were within the expectations for the price we paid per night.

A few websites of places we visited:

Metro North -- http://www.mta.info/mnr/
On A Roll Deli -- http://www.hardrolldeli.com/blog/2010/09/23/added-location-on-a-roll-deli
River Station Restaurant -- http://www.riverstationrest.com/
Hyde Park Brewing Company -- http://www.hydeparkbrewing.moonfruit.com/

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your review. I am happy that your experience was a positive one. We are addressing the few negative issues that you had (refrigerator and loud air conditioner). We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

The whole region doesn't have enough hotels, I ended up paying over $100 a night for a room here, which was over priced. I was visiting Poughkeepsie for a wedding. The location was really not bad, easy access to downtown, BUT you have to pay $1 every time you cross over the bridge into the city. However, it was close.

As far as accommodations, they were clean. We inspected for bugs and the room was clean/clear. The bathroom was surprisingly clean, looked like it had just been renovated. The shower stall was SMALL. I am not a large person and I was a little uncomfortable and it was hard to move around in the shower stall.

I only stayed here because it was the only place left. I would stay again if I had to, but it was not worth what I paid.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Neil R, Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel. We are happy you were satisfied with the accommodation you received, but we are sorry that you feel it was overpriced. We price our rooms in keeping with the local market, always trying to stay just below the market rate, taking into account the type of room, our available room inventory as well as the available inventory of other hotels in our market, amount of guests per room, etc. Available rooms on a busy night at other hotels in our market are priced higher than the amount you paid. As far as the bridge toll, let me say that I agree, it is too much. Once again, thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review, and I am sorry that you feel you paid too much. We always strive to provide value at a reasonable cost, and if we did not live up to that in your case, we perhaps need to try harder.

Parbat Khunti,
Property Manager
Watertown, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

This place is disgusting and the man at the office was a complete jerk. We woke up at 4:30 in the morning to find the headboard of the bed infested with dozens of large bedbugs, and one fell out of my girlfriend's hair. I picked up the phone outside of the office to speak with the manager. This guy did not care, nor did he want to even talk to me about it. He told me to come back later. I waited 3 hours and finally he came down to talk to me. He told me he had never seen these things before and it was probably my fault. After I showed him the pictures I had taken he finally agreed to refund my money through Priceline. A few days later I found out that he only offered me a partial refund. This guy insulted me, lied to me, and runs a dirty bedbug infested establishment. Do not ever stay here.

Room Tip: Room 106 is completely infested with bed bugs
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. We take complaints of this type seriously, and investigate all claims. The comfort and safety of our guests is our top priority. When you came to the office at 4:30AM you were offered an alternate accommodation, but you opted to leave. The room has since been treated for the problem you encountered. Because it was a Priceline reservation, you were told that you needed to take it up with Priceline, and that they would contact us, which is what happened. When Priceline was asked my General Manager what you wanted as compensation for your troubles, they said you were not asking for anything, just wanted us to know that the problem existed. My General Manager therefore offered the partial refund, and Priceline accepted this. Once again, I am sorry for your troubles, and hope that we can be given a second chance to serve your lodging needs in a more comfortable way.

Parbat Khunti,
Property Manager

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!