“Enjoyed The Visit” 4 of 5 stars

fishkill, ny
54 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed The Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My brother and I checked this place out on a Sunday afternoon. The museum shop is stocked with many interesting gifts and colorful rocks including "fool's gold". We picked up some nice specimens to take home. The mine is in the back and you buy passes to get in. We chose not to do that because of the impending rain storm. But there were a lot of families buying tickets to do some mining while we were there. About 2 years ago I mined there and had a good time. I didn't find a Herkimer diamond but I got a good workout and had some fun. I suggest you go on a cool cloudy day.

New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
“If you are into mining this is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having mined for minerals in North Carolina and Maine, I have always wanted to visit Herkimer. I was not disappointed. First there are those who grab a pick axe and rough it in the field. I prefer to by bags of ore that are available for $11, get a screen sit in the shade and pan the ore. Lots of fun and you are guaranteed something. For those with children this approach is the best--no broken hearts.

West Yarmouth, MA
22 attraction reviews
“Hard Work but so FUN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

You'll get a workout, but it's fun and rewarding! Bring your own safety glasses and lots of bottled water. It gets hotter than the hubs of hell!

Clifton Park, New York
62 attraction reviews
“You have to bring your sense of humor.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We visited on a hot, humid July day. Just the name of the place gives you the idea you might get rich. My 11 year old granddaughter was ready to prospect to the end. The 15 yo grandson had done it before - so he was skeptical. I found myself dreaming of beer after about 20 minutes. Tons of broken rock to sift through. Very hard dolomite walls to pound with little hammers. Back breaking work for which you pay $11/ person. We found some "acceptable" samples for the little girl, who wanted to get them "appraised." Then we saw the Museum, which had great examples of what has come out of the mine. Some very nice specimens, with beautiful cuts and great polishing. Then you realize that it is "quartz crystals" not "diamonds" and you say - "OK." There goes a nice day with my grandchildren, and I'm out $44. (plus lunch)

Fairport, New York
13 attraction reviews
“Fun, but must have patience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to the Herkimer Diamond mines this past weekend. We brought a pickaxe and a sledge hammer and used the hammers that they loaned us. We found a few small "diamonds" I found nothing by breaking open rocks.

Definitely wear good shoes with good support if you have weak ankles. I do and had a hard time walking over the rocks. There is absolutely no shade so wear a hat and bring water.

You definitely have to have patience. My kids are in the instant gratification generation where they expected the diamonds to jump up and land in their lap. Not so, I saw some other people getting some big scores, but not us.

It would be a fantasy land for any kids that like to pound rocks. Where else can you go and bang on rocks and break them up without getting in trouble!

We glanced around the store, but didn't spend a lot of time in it. I wish we had, it looked like it had a lot of nice things. We meant to go back but forgot to go.

It was reasonably priced and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Visited June 2013