“Relaxing and enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Herkimer
More attraction details
Owner description: Calm and relaxing 90 minute historically narrated cruise on the Erie Canal in beautiful upstate New York. Experience traveling through a lock. Cruising Memorial day through Columbus day.
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
28 attraction reviews
“Relaxing and enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nice boat ride on the Erie canal went thru 2 locks captain was extremely knowledgeable we enjoyed it all very much cost about 18.00 per a very reasonable charge for a couple of hours tour

Kansas City, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
“Nice Dinner Cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We chartered the Sam Patch for a dinner cruise through the Erie Canal.

The good:
1. Short and sweet
2. Great way to see the Erie Canal and learn about some history

The bad:
1. The Sam Patch was a smaller more intimate boat, which I liked but it was only through the residential areas and no city views.
2. No circulation! Of course our boat tour was on a day where there was 90 degree weather in Rochester. Fans would've been very helpful!
3. The food we ordered to go with the cruise was sub-par.

I would recommend someone from the cruise to get on the intercom and share history about the canal and the area. That would've made the trip more interesting.

Brooklyn
6 attraction reviews
“Lock'ed in for 90 minutes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The lock experience itself and the narration from knowledgeable captain was cool. It raises and lowers you around 20 feet. Its amazing technology from decades ago so to still work, I tip my hat to the engineers that designed it. Other cool feature was hearing the prerecorded narration say you could travel from NY to Florida over 1000 miles and only leave the canal/intercostal waterway system for around 150 miles via Atlantic Ocean and sure enough a yacht with Florida registration was in the lock with us. What a trip that must be. Other than that 9yo who studied Erie Canal was bored as was wifey.

We ate dinner at Dockside restaurant, had great view of canal. Some wannabe mafia types were extremely loud, vulgar at times and final were asked to tone it down. Even in Bensonhurst Brooklyn never experienced loudmouths like this. If your "somebody" you usually keep a low profile. Dinner was good, never told about specials which I would had chosen so they lost upsell of $10 minimum. Customer service is gone in this country.

Visited August 2013
westchester county, ny
3 attraction reviews
“must stand to see, but still good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

my mom (82) has always wanted to see the Erie Canal - so my daughter found this 90 min tour - overall it was very very good, full of information and history. as my mom cant stand for too long, I called to make sure there were enough seats(or should I bring my canvas chair) - I was told yes, certainly enough -but .........there are only about 20 seats on the lower deck outside, so you must be on line early to get those, and downstairs inside, there are seats and table (for the drinks they would like you to buy from them) - Upstairs, which is outside, but covered, there were approx. 8-10 tables and chairs - which were all taken, but I liberated some unclaimed ones for our group of 4. In order to see the canal work, you had to be standing - luckily it wasn't too crowded and we got a space where my mom could lean on the solid railing - as we were getting on, the captain said that "the people downstairs wont see everything" - this was really not true - the only thing they probably didn't see too well, was the old church, but as it was summer, we didn't see it too good either anyway - the 100 year old lock and original lock equipment were great to see, and I would recommend it, but just be aware of the issues connected with this tour - again, I recommend this cruise, but get on line early and make sure you can stand

Visited August 2013
Troy, New York
27 attraction reviews
“Great Informative Boat Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

90 minute trip up the Erie Canal, on an open sided boat, with Captain Jerry. Lovely scenery all along the way, but the highlight was going through lock 18. We went into the lock, the level was lowered by 20 feet, and then we went out the other side. The process was then reversed. Captain Jerry gave us an informative and humorous narrative, with all of the details of the building and use of the canal system. Great tour and would recommend it to everyone. We had a wonderful trip!