“Rude owner, ugly rooms, but great location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau

Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hector
Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau
You added Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau to your Saves list
Rte 414, 7 Miles North of Watkins Glen, PO Box 238, Hector, NY 14841   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hector B&B and Inns
New York City
“Rude owner, ugly rooms, but great location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

This place is beautifully situated on a vineyard with great views of Seneca lake, but like another reviewer said the actual "inn" had all the charm of a 1970s suburban tract home. Owner was not to be seen, but when we came back from a day of touring around and found our room hadn't been cleaned at all, nor had our toilet tissue been replenished, etc., I called him and got a really rude response. He started arguing with me! In my book, the customer is always right , especially when the customer IS actually right.You don't spend $145 a night to come back to a messy room with no toilet tissue. I asked him to take some $ off our bill, and he refused and told us we could get some bottles of their wine. We came away with two twenty dollar bottles of Cabernet, but we would have preferred to have $ taken off our bill.

Breakfast was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Another thing, the "inn" has a deck but these awful wal-mart picnic tables out on it (part of the overall decore--only the cheapest stuff). The place needs some comfy adirondack chairs. Clearly they are not interested in the innkeeping business but only in their winery.

• Liked — The location on a beautiful vineyard overlooking Lake Seneca
  • Disliked — The ugly rooms and the fact that our rooms weren't cleaned and owner was rude when we complained.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

I stayed here with my fiance and my parents during the Cayuga wine and herb fest. My parents have been staying at this property for over ten years, it was one of first bed and breakfasts in area with Jacuzzis in room. I understand now there are quite a few where you can find this luxury. We stayed in the Riesling room they stayed in the Cabernet room.

The Cabernet Room Is simply a one bedroom with bathroom(jacuzzi is located in the bathroom a few feet from the toilet)

The Riesling room is a little cooler you walk into a little hall after unlocking your door in one direction is the jacuzzi and toilet room. In the other direction is the bedroom, quaint and clean. the Jacuzzi is large enough for 2 with room to spare. I will say it has a shower head but is not all the convenient if you want to shower. Off the room with Jacuzzi is an odd little room with the toilet.

I will say since there is no innkeeper on the grounds if you want a little more privacy then this is the place. The breakfast served in the morning is mediocre at best. Views of Seneca lake very greatly depending on your room. The Riesling View much better then Cabernet. Rooms do not have TV's, with the exception of one. We could hear the jacuzzi in another room as we were trying to go to sleep it was a light hum nothing terrible. Don't Forget you can taste the wine free over at winery since you are guest.

I rate this place high because of following, I got to spend time with my fiance and family, relaxing, drinking and simply having fun. I enjoyed the fact that there was no innkeeper so that bumps it up for me.

• Liked — The Jacuzzi!
  • Disliked — No TV in room
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

If you are looking for charm and ambience in a bed and breakfast this is not for you. Other than being clean and a view of the lake this is not the place to stay. There is no innkeeper to greet you. The check in is the cashier at the gift shop of the winery. The abode is nondescript. The bathroom had no cup, no shampoo, a mirror that was tarnished and a shade that didn't give privacy.The room had a window AC with curtains that had to be open so the unit could be used, again no privacy. The breakfast was presented by a woman in shorts and flip flops who didn't introduce herself and served a bowl of scrambled eggs, white toast and greasy sausage. There were no flowers outside. The inside was 1970's with no attempt to make it inviting. The cost was in the ballpark of much nicer places. We checked out and moved on. I suggest you spend a few dollars more and do the same.

Travelers are raving about these Hector hotels

Been to Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau? Share your experiences!