“Wonderful and relaxing get away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hector
Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau
Rte 414, 7 Miles North of Watkins Glen, PO Box 238, Hector, NY 14841   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hector B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Wonderful and relaxing get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed her for the weekend while visiting family. It happened to be NASCAR weekend and even SIX MONTHS in advance, almost everything was booked. I was a bit nervous based on the reviews here and on yelp... thank goodness those people were wrong! BF has already asked that we make staying here an annual tradition when we do our yearly visit to see my parents.

This is how our lovely trip went: we arrived at the times we were TOLD TO for check-in. In the welcome letter, it also states that if you can't arrive in that window to call Lori ahead of time and she will help you out. She has her own life and doesn't work 24/7 - only a you-know would expect her to be available to wait on them at the drop of a hat. We got a free glass of delicious wine (I got the Cabernet Franc - my favorite of everything we tried all weekend!), some (free)cute wine glasses with their logo on them to keep, and we bought a bottle to take back with us. The man working at the winery gave us some great options for dinner and we walked the .7 miles down the road to Stonecat Cafe. We went home, had some wine, watched shark week on the flat screen, and enjoyed the hot tub (which had easy to follow instructions and worked just fine). Went to bed on a SUPER comfy bed with a memory foam mattress.

Breakfast is homemade, not from a box or reheated 100x. Lori was there bright and early, making coffee, pancakes, bacon, sausage, rhubarb spread, zucchini bread, etc. We met some very interesting people from different parts of the country that had apparently been coming to this Inn annually, for years. Then we went wine tasting around the lake. By the time we got back, our bed was changed and we had fresh towels. Wonderful!

Honestly, I think I can understand where the complainers are coming from. I grew up in this area and then ran off to D.C. when I was able to... and the city life is a heck of a lot different than ANY PLACE you will find in the Finger Lakes. No, someone isn't going to carry your bags unless you are elderly, pregnant, or have a disability keeping you from doing so. No, there isn't wifi... put your phone down for a minute and just ENJOY LIFE! It's so beautiful out there... if you need the internet, etc. to have fun, then you need to check your priorities. You are in the country. Life is different here: slower, more relaxed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My fiance and I had a very nice stay here. There are so many places to stay around the finger lakes and I picked this one because the price was reasonable, they had availability (a lot of places were already booked for Labor Day weekend), and honestly I was just tired of searching and wanted to reserve SOMETHING. I think we lucked out with the choice. We had the Pinot Noir room, which was on the first floor and had a private door out onto the deck which overlooked the vinyards and lake. The room was clean and comfortable, nothing lavish but totally fine. Breakfast was tasty and Lori was a good hostess - very nice but not too chatty (she didn't want to know our life stories or tell hers, which was fine with us). A GREAT perk that comes with your stay at the Inn is free tasting and a free glass of wine from the winery every day. Most wineries offer tastes of 5-6 wines, but here you get to taste 18! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The Pinot Noir room on the first floor has a private door to the deck. It's next to the kitchen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We recently traveled through the finger lake region for a short get away. We decided to spend one night at the Chateau. Should of paid more attention to the red flag the prior night when we tried to book the room & the computer system was down. When we made the reservation we said that we did not need a specific room. When we arrived we were given the Riesling room. I might add the only room without a TV. I also need to point out that you are not permitted to wear shoes of any type in this place. The owner doesn't want anything to happen to his hard wood floors. Please, I have solid oak, tongue & groove hardwood floors throughout my entire home which is over 80 years old. They have survived children, dogs, cats and any number of people with shoes of any type. We asked if any other rooms were available & there were 3 additional rooms available, (another flag). We moved to the Chardonnay room which boasted a view of the lake. What a joke. The view of the lake is through a side window & can also be viewed from the bathroom window which just happens to be a large window right beside the toilet. LOVELY! At $170/day this room was totally overpriced. There was a hole in the ceiling from what appears to be a leak. The window air conditioner is in the window 3 feet from the bed & blows directly on the person that looses the coin toss as to which side of the bed you get for the night. There are no room fridges so we went to take our cheese & fruit from our cooler & set in the kitchen fridge overnight so they would not spoil. WRONG! When we entered the kitchen it had a rope chain around the handles & a sticky note that stated that due to other guests taking food from the fridge it is padlocked. After this we noticed other notes taped to other things throughout the house. Don't open this closet, staff only, don't change speed of ceiling fan, don't turn light off or on. SERIOUSLY! This is how you run a B&B? By this time it was too late & there was no one around to inquire as to us being able to leave & find another place to stay. I must say though that out Hostess, Lori, was very nice. She also prepared breakfast at 9 am. Yes nothing is available before then as everything is locked up. Oh, I almost forgot, included in staying at the Inn you receive a "free" wine tasting & a "free" glass of any wine you would like to drink. My advice, skip the room stay & spend the $5 and do the tasting, you will be much better off. No wonder it's for sale.

Room Tip: All rooms say lake view. Only if you want to look at the lake from the bathrooms. Also there is no i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Hector hotels

Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

About a week ago, my daughter and I had the opportunity to visit Watkin's Glen State Park and the local wineries. We stayed at the Chateau Lafayette Reneau Inn for 2 nights where we had a wonderful stay. The innkeeper, Lori, was extremely friendly and helpful, and the breakfast that she cooked each morning was delicious and plentiful. She even provided homemade bread and cut-fruit in addition to the planned fare. The rooms were very clean, comfortable, and well worth the reasonable cost of the stay. They even provided a free glass of wine of your choice from their delightful winery selections for each night stay. The view is delightful from the deck that overlooks the vineyard and Seneca Lake. Highly recommended!!! Hoping to return next year with my wife!!

Gary C., Lakeland Florida

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Sunbury PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This past weekend Mark and I stayed at the Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau. It has been 5 years that we have stayed at the Inn during Nascar race weekend and we look forward to our visit and seeing Lori every time. Lori is a wonderful inn keeper. The breakfast is delicious every time. Lori always has fresh fruit and a different selection every morning. Coffee is awesome and wow to her "treats" which are there in the afternoon and evening.......thank you Lori. The house is very comfortable and clean. Lori has beautiful pots with flowers outside and on the back deck, which is very lovely. Lori is always a pleasure to see and talk with.
Thank you again for everything Lori! Mark and I hope to see you again next year! Carol and Mark Prokay, Butler PA

Room Tip: The Inn is located right in the center of the wineries, actually, part of a winery although separate...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We showed up at Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau in May to attend a wedding, after we had booked our room eight months in advance, paid for it via credit card in advance, and had received their written confirmation of our reservation, only to find they had lost our booking. This was on the same weekend as college graduation nearby, so every hotel and B&B was booked solid. They never apologized, they kept pushing us off so they could show the place to someone trying to book a wedding, and couldn't find a manager to help us for a solid hour. They offered to pay us the cost of wherever else we booked and reimburse us, but only if we sent them a copy of their charge later. They found us a room half an hour away, which wasn't acceptable as it was too far from the wedding, but luckily another wedding guest cancelled elsewhere at the last minute and we could take their reservation. The manager of the Inn agreed she would pay the cost of the other location, up to a certain amount. After we returned home and sent them documentation, they reimbursed us for our booking deposit, but nothing else. They have repeatedly told us they will still reimburse us for the extra costs we incurred, but have never done so. As far as I am concerned, they are cheating us and are not trustworthy.

Don't stay here. In addition to being incompetent and possibly causing you hundreds of dollars in additional fees, you will likely find that the Inn is not a very nice one, as these reviews state.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here recently for our 10yr anniversary and I must say that we were pleasantly surprised. The house is super clean and Lori (the inn keeper) was extremely pleasant. She made great fresh food every morning and even accommodated the vegan couple. She was extremely knowledgable on the area and was quick to interact when she was addressed otherwise she quietly exited the room to leave the couples to enjoy their breakfast and company.
I highly recommend the Chateau to anyone looking for a quiet getaway.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau? Share your experiences!