“Another great lunch at the Newt” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Hector
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Experience our region's farms, vineyards, and community. Together we create the wine & cuisine that defines our place – the Finger Lakes region. Come to Red Newt Cellars and allow yourself to truly taste the Finger Lakes. As a recipient of Wine & Spirits Magazine's 2011 Winery of the Year, the winemakers craft elegant, regionally expressive Finger Lakes wines with an emphasis on Single Vineyard aromatic whites such as Riesling, Gewürztraminer, and Pinot Gris. Red Newt also produces world-class reds perfectly suited for the cool-climate region of the Finger Lakes: Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, and Merlot. The message at Red Newt is simple: grown here, made here. With the innovative, locally sourced Finger Lakes cuisine in the Bistro, the chefs at Red Newt are continuously working to build an awareness of regional products as well as to create lasting relationships between local farmers and restauranteurs. The menu is ever-changing, eclectic, and exciting - tailored to reflect the seasons of the Finger Lakes. The wine list, presented with the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, offers well over 200 selections from top producers in the region. With a collaborative team of winemakers and chefs, it is this synergy between the expression of wine and cuisine that sets Red Newt apart.
Newark, New York
“Another great lunch at the Newt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been taking family & friends to this wonderful cafe in the Finger Lakes Region for the past two years. Each time the service has been top notch. The food is regionally grown & features an interesting menu. I have trouble staying away from the sausage & cheese plate. Always includes tasty condiments. And, of course, their wine list contains several local varieties, especially good is the Dry Rose flight. You can't go wrong visiting this cafe for lunch.

Visited October 2012

Washington, DC
“Who New't?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Who knew the hipster winery in Hector had a cool cafe with super delish culinary delights? Checked in with a party of 4 a little early for dinner the last Sunday of October. Thanks to inclement weather in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, we were able to get a table quickly. Our waiter was a perfectly poised young woman who knew her wines either from her training in this wine region or perhaps because she had also spent time in Spain. Her knowledge and the optional tasting menu compelled us all to have her help us pair wine flights (3 glasses filled one quarter each) with our menu selections, e.g., a dry Riesling with the corn soup; a Lemberger with the pumpkin gnocchi; and a Pinot Gris with the Dorade fish poached with shitake mushroom consomme, shallots, and freekah risotto). The Leek and Sweet Potato Ravioli app was particularly good; everyone had to have some. Everyone's food was utterly delightful and the pairings were on the mark, too, which enhanced the whole dining experience. We had enjoyed tastings at eight wineries over the weekend, but nothing topped the excellent service and quality food/wine pairings offered up at Red Newt that night. Dinner wine pairing is the way to go when assessing new wines, and Red Newt makes it easy.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bourne, Massachusetts
“Hillside Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Red Newt features local produce and meats plus their own, and other select, wines. I especially like the wine flights that you can mix and match. We had a nice lunch - salad for me, cheeseburger for my husband, plus three wine samplings. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was great! The restaurant is on a hillside overlooking one of the finger lakes and it's a beautiful, tranquil spot.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best finger lakes meal so far!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I have been frequenting the finger lakes region for the past 3 years and this is the best meal we've had yet. Granted with the little one we don't get out much but we were lucky enough to get out on a date this year to try the tasting menu at the Red Newt. I was very impressed with the menu selections and LOVED the tasting menu. I chose the red flight (all Red Newt wines) to go along with my meal and enjoyed them all. The appetizers and main course blew us away, especially the smoked eel, which we didn't expect to enjoy as much as we did, and meatloaf on top of beef that causes me to drool whenever I see the picture of it. The dessert was interesting - a cheesecake with a savory herb sauce which I felt took over the dish. Not my thing but the rest of the meal was so delicious I didn't care. It was a very pricey evening but a fantastic special occasion meal for sure. The view was amazing and the staff were extremely courteous.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great expierence awesome wine great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stopped in just after they had opened. The resturant didnt open till noon but i was only there for the wine. The staff was very layed back and easy to talk to, i felt very welcomed. James helped me out with the tastings, i ended up leaving with 6 bottles. Next time im in the lakes ill be sure to arrange my visit for the resturant and hopefully have another chat. Btw i didnt dislike any of the wine i tried. Stop here if you get a chance!

South east PA.