“Stay away!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Upsky Long Island Hotel

You added Upsky Long Island Hotel to your Saves list
Upsky Long Island Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Vanderbilt Motor Parkway, Hauppauge, NY 11788 (Formerly Sheraton Long Island Hotel)   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hauppauge
Bay Shore, New York
“Stay away!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel used to be a beautiful friendly environment, When it was the Sheraton! I recently stayed overnite to have a lil fun with the kids in the pool. The room was dirty, hot, & dry; Horrible Conditions for both kids who are asthmatic. Not to mention dirty floors an blankets. We all took cold showers at C/O. I overpaid for breakfast (the girl gave herself a 100% tip. I explained this to Manager Dean, he didn't even offer an apology. I calld an spoke to Jeff the General manager who then said he would at least compensate witb a complimentary stay in a better room. When I called to confirm, He said he would not compensate an that I should have askd for my change! WOW. I am beyond disgusted an appalled over the whole experience. Do yourself a favor " stay away!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Had to stay here to visit a sick relative. Front doors weren't working well and lobby is a bit of a maze for the elderly folks traveling with me but the rooms were clean, breakfast was good. Ate dinner across the street at Applebees. That was fine also.

Room Tip: Not sure it matters...my room had a wonderful view of the waste treatment plant behind the hotel but...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dean S S, Front Office Manager at Upsky Long Island Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at our hotel and we were happy that you found our rooms clean and the breakfast good. I appreciate your comments regarding the doors and will address this with our maintenance staff.

We apologize for any challenges the lobby layout may have presented and welcome your suggestions regarding how we can improve the area to better serve your needs. It is important to us that we offer an accessible and convenient experience to our guests.

We value your opinion and appreciate your taking time to review our hotel. Should your travels bring you back this way, we look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest.

Warm regards,
Dean Sandbrook
Front Office Manager.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We have gone to this hotel overnight on several occasions to give the kids a chance to escape the weather. It has a nice pool and is close to home for a fun getaway. It used to be the Hauppauge Sheraton. It was a clean, comfortable, lovely hotel. It is now called the Upsky. I have no idea who owns it but in the short time they have the place is a mess. The rugs are dirty and buckling in several places. The rooms are looking used. In many areas the molding is dirty or coming off. The mens's room by the pool has showers out of order, molding missing or held on by tape. The lobby is still reasonably nice...Sheraton had redone it not so long ago. If you pay $50-75 dollars on Priceline you can tolerate the place. If you pay their asking price of a room....$140 you are crazy. The other local hotels are in much better shape. A $1.50 bet...this place will be sold again or out of business in no time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your experiences with our hotel, both recent and past. Much of what your previous experiences embody remain such as great location for business and leisure travel, but we are aware that the property is in need of some TLC. We are working towards plans to repair, refresh, and rejuvenate the property and will release more information regarding those efforts as soon as we are able. Meanwhile we appreciate the patronage of all of our guests and take each and every comment into consideration as we evolve our plans.

On behalf of all our team, we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest again in the future.

Dean Sandbrook
Front Office Manager
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Group of 4 (rooms) told we couldn't check in yet at 3:30 in the afternoon as rooms were not ready and we could not pre check in, "you'll have to come back later" (Despite 3pm check in policy). After doing a show at a local theatre,we returned at 12:45pm to check in. Bar in lobby "open till 1:am" told sorry were closed". We go to our room on the 6th floor, sink with a huge rather disqusting stain but we go to sleep. We awake in the morning to note a Very large Mold area in the room which accounts for the musty smell in the room. Lobby restaurant (which as we arrive has an overpowering odor of a cleaning substance) Menu advertises $16 Weekend Brunch which is a good price. We are told, Sorry, that changes if the hotel level of guests is not enough...but we can order ala carte...which works out to about $5.00 more per person. I will not return. There are far more nice accomodations in the greater Smithtown area.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dean S S, Front Office Manager at Upsky Long Island Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We have passed along your concerns to our Housekeeping and Food and Beverage team. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience via email dsandbrook@upskyli.com.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

If you have pets, this place is pretty good. Most of their rooms are on the first or second floor and there are several exits to outside so it's easy to get out and back in to let them do their business.

Rooms have enough space, but low ceiling and pretty dated. I think the ceiling in our room was cinder blocks, or at least it looked that way. Around the door and in the bathroom there was a low drop ceiling which was pretty stained. I'm 5'6, so if you are 6 feet, you are going to feel cramped.

I had to work from the room one day so I went to log in to the internet and followed the instructions that were on the desk and had to pay $10 for the day. The next day I looked in our key card envelope and their was a slip telling me the internet was free and providing a code. That really would have been nice to know before I spent the money.

I ordered room service for breakfast and lunch the day I worked there and it was ok. Fairly expensive and cold, but not terrible. There were vending machines outside my door with a good selection that also take credit cards which was nice since I never have cash.

The hotel is massive. They have a ton on banquet space, but at least while I was there is seemed to be a favorite spot for kids and teens birthdays which meant lots of kids screaming and running up and down the hall late night. I got up to let the dogs out at 2am because they were restless and was greeted by 10-12 year old girl in a binki. Still have not figured out why a young girl would be hanging out in the hallway at 2 am in a bathing suit.

There is a ton of parking which was really nice when the weather was less than great. Also plenty of room to walk the dogs.

The lobby looks like it's had a nice renovation, but when you look closely you see all the tiles are cracked, furniture stained, fake plants, scratched furniture, just run down. You can see the Sheraton logo the was originally there through the "upsky" sticker that was placed over it on doors and signs.

I will say the bar is nice. Info travel and big, well stocked and the bartenders are all very nice and helpful. This is what I would consider the hotel'a crown jewel.

Beds (mattresses) are old and fairly uncomfortable but the bedding and pillows were not bad. The desk chair was slightly broken and really dirty. I accidentally stuck my hand in the crack and instantly regretted it. Chewed up straws, other trash and crumbs, pretty gross.

All in all this place was ok for what I needed it for. If this had been a vacation I would be pretty upset. Especially given the price is pretty steep for what it is.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review the Upsky Long Island hotel. We are happy you found the facility great for people traveling with their pets. Our meeting facilities are as you mention expansive and are a popular choice for events of all kinds. And ample parking does add convenience to our guests. We are happy to hear your enjoyed other conveniences of the property including our bar, room service and vending machines. We appreciate you sharing your comments and look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back this way.
Port jefferson, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Much like another reviewer (Rich S), I stayed here during a recent snow storm rather than travel… Hotel has had some upgrades (I had stayed here in the past when it was part of the Sheraton chain)…. Room, on the 5th floor, was comfortable and clean although a bit dark and the heating system was a bit loud… Restaurant and bar a bit pricy but service was excellent… My only real complaint was that the lobby gift shop was closed – most likely due to the storm… Overall the hotel met my needs and expectations – I hope they continue to improve…

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ronkonkoma, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed at this Hotel on the night of a bad winter storm. Stayed due to the proximately to my job. Closer hotels were all booked. I was not expecting 5 star by any means as this is a typical off the highway hotel. Due to the Snow Storm it was hard to find a parking spot as the plow was still trying to clear the pavement but the snow was falling hard and fast.

I walked in through the back way, and saw the hallways of the hotel before the lobby. The hallways had the feel of an older hotel, but from what I read, they are renovating the hotel.
I booked the room on the fly before I left my job and when I went to check in, without asking, they upgraded me to a Presidential suite. That was a plus. Even though I did not needed it, it was nice to have a spacious room after a long day of work and snow traffic to unwind without having to sit on a bed to watch TV.

The room came equipped with a fireplace that due to fire regulations, was not allowed to work. The room windows over looked the lobby as it was on the second floor. I didn't mind as much though near the end of the night, the sound from the lobby echoed into my room. The curtains had some stains on it. The furniture was very basic. The TV came equipped with only 40 channels and HBO. Not what you would expect from a Presidential suite.

The bedroom was big, and the king size bed was comfortable enough. The Bathroom was basic, once again, not what one would expect from a Presidential suite.

The lobby itself was nice and looks like it has been upgraded. The restaurant was ok, but can't complain since they were only able to have one waitress being that most of the staff probably called out sick. The Bar was spacious, and the bartender was very nice.

Overall, this hotel is average at best, but it is possible that the management team and owners are working on a renovation to make this 3 star hotel feel a lot nicer. The Upsky wasn't bad for a one night stay and I am interested to see the new renovations if and when they are completed

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room or higher or a room that doesn't overlook the lobby so you can have a m...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
We appreciate your taking time to review our Hauppauge hotel, the Upsky Long Island hotel and that overall you enjoyed your stay. The winter was indeed a challenge and we appreciate your patience on a day where we were short staffed in our restaurant. We look forward to having you as our guests again should you be visiting our area in the future.

Been to Upsky Long Island Hotel? Share your experiences!