“Average Holiday Express” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Hauppauge
Lisbon, Portugal
“Average Holiday Express”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I staid 1 night, with my familiy.Free Parking, Hot Breakfast, free internet. Not the best Holiday INN Express, but average. Room clean and bed clean is very important for my family, and this has very important to us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aidan R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear RMPD, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We know the importance of clean room and a clean bed and we are delighted that you choose us to for your hotel needs on Long Island

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Seaford, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

stayed at the HIE in Hauppauge this past weekend for a wedding that had booked a block of rooms here. Any and all problems experienced with this hotel had to do with the rude front desk staff, one guy in particular. I arrived at the hotel around 11:30AM - while I completely understand that I was there a bit earlier than the traditional check in time, I have had many stays at hotels where rooms have been available early, so since i was already in the area I decided to give it a shot so that I could get the room settled for my wife who was still at work. In past experiences, hotels who didn't have a room ready yet were not only apologetic, but offered to hold bags and/or call my cell when a room would be available. Apparently that's not the way at this HIE, as my inquiry was met with a response of "nope, no rooms, too early come back after 1". That's it? not even a check in the computer or a call to housekeeping? Certainly someone had to have checked out by then. Whatever, guess I'll come back later. After picking my wife up at work & grabbing some lunch I returned a little after 1PM, same guy at the desk quips "back so soon? maybe I have something now I'll have to see". I ask can he try for a higher floor, again without checking he replies "nope only got one room ready and it's on the first floor". He didn't elaborate, and at this point I didn't feel like arguing I really just wanted to get into the room so we could freshen up before the ceremony, but what he didn't tell us is that the room he gave us was not only on the first floor, but it was the very first one adjacent to the lobby! Not sure what I did to piss this guy off but I was starting to feel like he had it out for me. Oh well, we decided to deal with it since it was just for one night & we wouldn't be in the room that much. The room itself was pretty nice, the inclusion of a microwave & fridge was great too. Would like to see some better amenities in the bathroom - the bar soap was pretty crappy & was the only option in there, would a small body wash to go with the shampoo break the bank? Free cookies at the front desk in the afternoon were nice, free breakfast in the morning was meh. Doubtful I'd return to this location, would rather drive back & forth to Nassau a few times than deal with staff that seemingly had it out to make my stay miserable.

Room Tip: pray you don't get the gruff guy we dealt with at the front desk
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear larryb78, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We strive to deliver the best possible service and I do apologise if we did not deliver the service that you come to expect form Holiday Inn Express. We appreciate the feedback that you gave to us as this will help us to constantly improve. I hope that this has not put you off from staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Long Island in the near future
Ulm, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Although the hotel is generally average (friendly staff, ok breakfast buffet, but a bit worn down), there was black mold on the curtains above the air condition. We did get a 50% rebate though after complaining about it, which was very nice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Dontworydori,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I am relieved that you get to have a discount as a compensation for the issue you have countered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Rockland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Spent one night here for business and the hotel is located near the LIE so it is easy to access. Hauppauge is in the middle of Long Island so it is far from the traffice of NYC. Clean rooms, friendly service and a cold HVAC, which was very nice. The breakfast room is big and is very comfortable with lots of space. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

When we first arrived we were greeted by a very sweet front desk person, I believe her name was Shannon who gave us information and times for the morning buffet. The buffet was clean and well supplied. We had a room on the 7th floor. About 12:30 AM we heard a man's voice, cursing someone then slamming doors. We slept comfortably until the door slamming started again.The second night the front desk person didn't even lift her head when we walked in. We never asked about the morning buffet. Our mistake, we didn't know that the buffet during weekdays ended at 10 AM. Weekends the buffet ends at 11 AM. Our stay during the two nights served our purpose. And, it was very convenient being right near the highway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aidan R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Paeline, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Long Island
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here last Friday night. After we checked in my boyfriend used the toilet in the room and when he flushed it, it overflowed! We were so glad he was still in the bathroom and knew how to shut off the water valve before lots of damage was done. He couldn't understand how it happened and felt something must have been wrong with the toilet before he used it. He immediately called the front desk and they immediately sent up the maintenance man who plunged the toilet. He then wiped up the floor with some towels and said he would bring us other towels. I asked him for some disinfectant spray like Lysol, and he said he would look for some and come back but he had another room to go to fix another toilet (he was holding a wrench). After waiting for awhile, I went down to the front desk and asked for something to spray on the floor since "dirty" water had covered most of the bathroom floor and I didn't think a towel wipe made it clean enough to walk on. The Front Desk Manager was there and went to look for something but came back and handed me a "refill" bottle of a cleaner with bleach. I asked him if he had a mop, he looked but couldn't find anything I could use. I'm 60...I politely said I didn't want to get on my knees to wipe the floor but I would have mopped it. I was offering to mop the floor myself because it was late and we wanted to get ready for bed...I didn't want to wait for the maintenance man to come back from the shuttle run he was now sent on. At that point, the young lady behind the desk, Shannon, took the bottle and a towel she had under the counter and told me to go with her. I realized she was offering to wipe the floor down "on HER hands and knees" but I refused to make her do that. I was shocked the Manager couldn't find anything appropriate to spray on the floor or a cleaning lady's mop. Don't they use any disinfectant sprays? So, instead I reluctantly requested enough towels to cover the floor so we could ready for bed. That is what we did...so, 50 minutes later I returned to the room and put towels on the floor.

I have a bad back and I usually hate having to stay at hotels because the beds are not usually very comfortable for me. However, that night I slept like a baby! I was shocked. I don't know if I was lucky and got a relatively new mattress or mattress cover, but that bed didn't have any of the usual "lows" and "highs" many hotel beds have.

The free breakfast the next morning was also very nice for "free". There were pre-made egg/cheese omelets, bagels, toast, delicious chocolate chip muffins, the usual blueberry & corn muffins, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, juices, coffee, tea. They had a pancake machine but they ran out of batter at 10:15 when brunch goes to 11:00 am so that was disappointing because I had wanted pancakes. I was waiting to use the machine when it ran out. The restaurant area was very crowded as the hotel was 100% full but frankly I just wondered how they could run out of batter on a Saturday morning. Did they just not want to open another bag because the buffet was almost ready to close?

Anyway, the toilet episode was a little scary since that never happened to us before so we didn't know what to expect if we had to flush during the night. But the bed was great to sleep in, the room was clean and VERY QUIET even though we were right near the elevators, and the free breakfast was good even though I was disappointed about the pancakes.

So, the toilet episode made this difficult to really "rate" fairly. It was not only the overflowing, it was the lack of disinfectant spray of any kind to offer me....or the mop. However, I think I am being fair because I have noted the good experience with the bed and the nice breakfast.

I also want to point out that the front desk clerk, SHANNON, was extremely kind and understanding...before AND AFTER the toilet incident....KUDOS to her! So, based on Trip Advisor's rating system, I don't know where to take off "points"....it think it will have to be in Service & Cleanliness because the gentleman who was the Front Desk Manager couldn't provide me with reasonable items to clean the bathroom floor after the toilet overflowed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ann M, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your honest feedback and I have shared this with my managers so that we can improve in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express in the near future..
LONG BEACH, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express for a wedding, recently. It was very easy to find and the staff was very courteous and accommodating. While none of the official wedding festivities were scheduled to take place at the hotel, a large group of us - including the bride and groom - found ourselves forming a spontaneous after-party in the breakfast area, right off of the lobby, until very late at night. The woman working at the front desk, realizing this was part of a wedding celebration, allowed us to take over whatever furniture was available and relax away the last couple hours of the night. I believe she came in one time to ask us to take it down a notch, but other than that, she was very nice and let us have our fun. The rooms were neat and tidy and we were promptly provided with a set of sheets for the pull-out couch, upon request. The only slight complaint we had about the room itself was that it did smell a bit smokey, as-if the room was formerly a smoking room and just has that odor that won't go away, or if a recent previous occupant had been smoking in the room and the smell is just hanging on. Either way, neither of us are smokers, so that odor is not appealing to us at all. We saw no reason to make an issue out of it, seeing as how we knew we would only be in the room for a couple hours after the wedding, before heading home again. Had we been checking in for an extended stay, we definitely would have requested a room change. Other than that, we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify in advance that you want a completely smoke-free room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Aidan R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear EINPROSITRAVELER, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great time at the wedding. We look forward to welcoming you back to long Island In the very near future

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge? Share your experiences!