“Best family vacation yet!” 5 of 5 stars

177 West Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays, NY 11946   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hampton Bays
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Castle, Delaware
“Best family vacation yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is our second summer staying with the Bowen's! A GREAT vacation for our family. Blew away our expectations this year. We have a 2 and 4 year old and the amount of things we did this year was amazing. Within half an hour we went to beaches, kid's museums, aquariums, amusement parks, movies and restaurants. And that's just what we did outside the grounds. When on the grounds, I grilled on personal charcoal grille 5 days in a row, the kids played on the playground, swam in the pool and just hung out as a family with provided board games in the cottage.
The Bowen's are special people and were always willing to give us their time for meaningful conversation or quick tips on what to do in area or how to get there with local traffic.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

It is hard to believe that 8 years ago I was fortunate enough to stumble onto Bowen’s by the Bays. It seems like yesterday that I first found this hidden gem. Let’s start with how relaxing this place is. It is peaceful, dog friendly, and most importantly, spotlessly clean. Before my 2 year old Golden Retriever Isabelle, I travelled with my other Golden, Abigail. The Bowen’s just got a really nice, adorable 7 month old rescue dog (Ruby). Ruby and my Isabelle, became best of friends! Bowen’s was (until this year) a place that I relaxed for a week, with my dog, and then returned to work recharged (I thought). Since I had such a great time for one week all these years, I decided to try two weeks. This was the first time in my career that I have ever taken two weeks’ vacation.
As I relaxed, one of the things I noticed was Eileen Bowen “zipping” around the grounds at a very quick pace. The amazing thing about her is, as quickly as she moved from cottage to cottage and room to room, when a guest had a question, everything came to a halt. I witnessed her stop, focus on the guest and make them feel like they were the only person on the grounds at the time. Kevin, her husband, also taught tennis on the grounds, but is recuperating from foot surgery this year. He was zipping around the grounds too; only in a golf cart! You would hear him say to guests, “If you need anything, just let us know”! What an amazing gift these two have.
This place redefines a family run business. I got to know Mrs. Bowen (Kevin’s mother) and Anastasia, both wonderful people, with clearly the same work ethic as the Bowen’s. Mrs. Bowen is moving quickly, and Anastasia, well she is well, one in a million. I have seen her cleaning the pool in the morning, then the cottages in the afternoon. Each time she would see a guest, her smile and wave made you feel like you were home!
The second week of my vacation my daughter, her husband, and my 2 grandchildren joined me. There was so much for them to do! But back to the Bowen’s attention to detail. Eileen knew they were coming for the second week, and had children’s themed bedspreads in their room! My 4 yr. old grandson liked the train bedspreads so much, he refused to pull them down and never a day went by that my 2 yr. old grandson would come grab my hand and walk me into the “train room” to show me his brothers train bed!
One more thing that will give a good idea of the type of place this is. The Bowens noticed that my daughter and her husband were never without the children. So, what did they do? They approached them and suggested that they take a night off for themselves. They explained that they just had a cancellation in one of the motel rooms and suggested that I watch the children while they went to dinner and the room was on them for the night! How thoughtful! Did they do this because I have been a customer for so many years? Did they do it because they are really great business people? Did they do it because they are just the most genuine, nicest people I have ever met? The answer is simple, YES, YES, and YES.
It is an amazing place that just keeps getting better.

Room Tip: You can't find a bad room in the place!
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We just came back from our second year staying at Bowens. Last year we rented a one bedroom cottage, this year a two bedroom.

It was immaculate. The bathroom was clean, the bedsheets clean and fresh. I didn't smell any mold at all, which is good, since it would have triggered allergies all weekend for me.

I love staying at privately owned places, expecially when the owners are on site. They are friendly and engaging and always accomodating. My son had a tennis lesson - with the owners, Eileen and Kevin. doesn't get more accomodating than that!

The grounds are expansive, they have a well kept pool. They allow dogs which is great, since we like to take our Chihuahua with us when we travel.

There are some really good restaurants in West Hampton. Our favorite is Edgewater which is about a 15 minute drive.

The beach is also a short drive away, and its a very nice, well kept beach.

its a very affordable place for a family. I highly recommend it to anyone who just wants a weekend (or longer) getaway.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the cottages. They are self standing and a good distance apart from each other. T...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This was our first family vacation and it was amazing! Very friendly people and beautiful grounds! The cottages are adorable and our kids loved it! Very home like feeling and very convenient for families. Beaches are close by and beautiful. The owners really care about their guests. They assisted us with a surprise flower delivery for my mother in law. They even sent us a picture of the flowers when they arrived. Love this place! We will definitely be back every summer!

• Stayed July 2014
sebring FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Spent two nights there this month (July 2014), and as before I was astounded by the friendly service and incredible cleanliness. I was there for a wedding that took place in their beautiful gardens with the reception on the tennis court. Even with over 150 people at the wedding, the spirit of courtesy and efficiency by Kevin and Eileen Bowen, made this a stay that was a delight. Kevin, although on crutches, was everywhere making sure all went smoothly and seeing to everyone's needs. Eileen, the master organizer, had selected caterers and support people with such care that all I heard were effusive accolades. The following morning Eileen surprised all the guests with a Sunday morning breakfast. Later in a walk through the flower gardens, I spotted the staff carefully sorting the containers from the reception into barrels for recycling, proving there is more to Bowes's that a facade-they believe in doing things right!

Room Tip: Ask Eileen for a recommendation. All the rooms open to the flower gardens.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our whole family just spent a long weekend at the Bowens, We took over the entire place,all the motel rooms and cottages as well for a family wedding which was held on there grounds. I cant say enough about the work and effort that went into making that special day. The grounds were picture perfect, and the motel rooms were simply amazing! Charming, well appointed, spotlessly clean, comfortable and the best part is you park, come in through the door, and you are looking at sliding doors that open to the beautiful gardens! The cottages that other family members were staying in were just as perfect! The thought that goes into decorating each and every one is a testament to the Bowens comment to provide you with the charm,along with all the modern conveniences we have all become accustomed to. Our stay at the Bowens by the bay could not have been better!The friendly atmosphere, gracious hosts, amazing grounds,and dont forget the beautiful pool,made the wedding one that was both unique and unforgettable! Each and every guest staying there loved the place, and we all plan on returning whether celebrating a special occasion, or to just kick back and have a nice relaxing couple of days. Thank you to the Bowens for making our stay one that we all will treasure!

Room Tip: The rooms are all simply perfect, all open up onto the beautiful grounds,and have seating right out...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pleasantville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I'm really surprised by all the positive comments about Bowen's by the Bays. Our experience was the exact opposite. We rented one of the two bedroom cottages for the weekend. The grounds were decent so we had high hopes for the cottage. What a shocker when we walked in and the smell of mold was so overwhelming that we immediately had to open all the windows and keep them open the entire time -- and it still smelled. The furniture was old, dingy, mismatched, and beat-up. The beds crinkled when we sat on them. The floor was dirty. The bathroom shower curtain was moldy and the curtain rings were all rusted. No one showered the day we checked out it was so gross. The whole cottage was shabby, dark, claustrophoic, and depressing. When we checked out and told the front desk person about our experience she said: I try to keep up but it's hard and everything is so expensive. What horrible customer service. All we got was $100 off our stay and the rooms were close to $300 a night. What a rip off!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
gobowens, Owner at Bowen's by the Bays, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
While we appreciate this guest taking the time to make his feelings known, we were not made aware of his dissatisfaction or given the opportunity to make him happy. We could have either changed accommodations for him, or refunded his deposit.

There are certain inaccuracies. First, I never made that comment. We had an extensive discussion, and I explained that because he visited at the time of very heavy pollen, the windows were closed after the cottage was cleaned, and that cleaning products can leave a scent, to which he agreed. When he said he thought there might be some mold, I asked where it was so it could be addressed. He said there were marks on the shower curtain, but actually that it was rust. The liner and rings were immediately changed. If the beds “crinkle”, it is because they have the appropriate covers on the mattresses to ensure cleanliness.

Photos of our accommodations are available online. They are quaint, and each has it’s own personality. If that is not to your taste, then a large chain hotel might be a better choice.

Perhaps the best explanation of our overwhelmingly positive reviews lies in guests choosing well for what will suit their tastes, and seeing the charm of our different style. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction, and we regret that we were not given the opportunity to provide that in this instance.

Been to Bowen's by the Bays? Share your experiences!