“Worst dining experience of my life.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 20 restaurants in Hammondsport
Cuisines: American
Hammondsport, New York
“Worst dining experience of my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I hadn't been to Crooked Lake in over a year. Me and two other people had gone in for lunch on a Sunday in the beginning of January. We walked in and the serve said "sit anywhere", we sat down waited a few minutes for menus and acknowledgement, she eventually came to the table and the only thing she said was "our fryers arent working so you cant order anything fried". We had to ask for our drinks (as she was walking away) we eventually got our food and not once did she ask how our meal was and we had to ask for refills on our drinks and for the bill. The worst part was, the owner was in the dining area as well as he was eating his lunch and reading the paper therefore, he clearly saw the poor service that we were given. It was the worst service I have EVER had, and I'm beyond ashamed that I brought two of my friends there with me. I will never return to that restaurant, and I (as well as my friends) will continue to spread this story. She doesnt give the restaurant a good name, I would hate to have her on my staff, it's shameful.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Rochester, New York, United States
“1940's beauty with a couple of (removable) warts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Loved the charming atmosphere of the 1940's , the booths were wood and leather, old-fashioned wall paper, old ice cream makers line the shelves, neat! And there is a fab smoke-stained photo mural of Keuka (i.e. Crooked Lake) from the 1920's on the counter wall but dang, the owners put towers of foam cups leaning up against it, kinda made me feel sad/mad.

The waitress was nice and attentive. I wish I could say our breakfast was good but it was a disappointment. With a 1940's mindset, our biscuits should have been real biscuits (not packaged) and my husband's lumpy gravy (not in the good way) over a chicken-fried steak (from a box) just made us want to cringe. Most of the other customers were ordering the homemade omelettes, which in hindsight, we should have done, and we will next time we visit.

Our suggestions to the owners? Cut the extensive menu in half and only offer homemade items. Get rid of the hideous foam cups (or at least hide them), take down the badly dog-eared signs. Have 1920-40s music in the air... give your servers a cute apron to wear...remove those warts from an otherwise gorgeous face!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Great hometown diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stopped in for coffee and our waitress was fantastic, she even put up with my hubby's bad jokes. She called her sister to find out what wineries we should visit. We liked her so much we came back for breakfast the next day. The everything omelet was HUGE! Definitely stop in :)

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
East Syracuse, New York
“A tasty treat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Every time I visit the Glenn Curtiss Museum, a stop happens at Crooked Lake for lunch. This is a small establishment, 7-8 stools, 5-6 booths & 3-4 tables. Only one waitress, however my order was taken & served in good time. On my last stop, had one of the day's specials, a BBQ Beef & Chedder on a Kaiser roll with french fries, followed with a large scoop pf Red Velvet ice cream.

Crooked Lake is located on Shether Street, across from the village park. There is street parking, however I park just north off the street in a small plaza. One reviewer stated Crooked Lake has the atmosphere of the late 40's/early 50's, whick I agree with. For a scoop of ice cream or lunch special, Crook Lake is the place to eat.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York

Visited November 2012
Syracuse, New York
“Great breakfast spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our fee at the Park Inn Hotel included breakfast or we might not have stopped in to this cute ice cream parlor. The decor and the food are reminiscent of the 1940s. The service is ok, the food is substantial and good. The coffee is just fine,

Visited October 2012