“Delicious food, beautifully served” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Hamilton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Colgate Inn offers fine American cuisine in a relaxing atmosphere. No matter what you are in the mood for, the Colgate Inn has the atmosphere and fare to suit.
New York City, New York
“Delicious food, beautifully served”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

A totally charming atmosphere and fresh local food. You just can't beat the combination in this part of Upstate New York

Visited September 2013

Winsted, Connecticut
“A disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband used to visit the inn once a year or so with his father when he was young, so he was very excited to have lunch there while on a visit to Colgate. The restaurant is big and fairly comfortable (we were next to an A/C vent, which my husband found too cold, but I was delighted by). The service was very good. The food was pretty awful, with two exceptions. The good: incredibly yummy parmesan-truffle oil fries and a good spinach salad with lots of fresh berries. The bad: mushy, bland black bean burgers (they were green and everything seemed to have been put in a blender, so they were much softer than you'd want a veggie burger to be and utterly lacking in flavor) and an awful roasted veggie soup. My husband and son are big soup lovers, and there aren't many soups I've seen them turn their noses up at. This soup was the most unnatural shade of pinkish orange. My son didn't make it past two bites. He turned it over to my husband, who also didn't make it past the second bite. I wasn't brave enough to try it based on how it looked alone. My husband also skipped his side salad because the lettuce was brown around the edges and everything else seemed past its prime. Judging from the other reviews, the inn may do a better job with non-vegetarian options, so I would not say to avoid it out of hand. It's comfortable, wonderfully located, and the sort of old-fashioned, dark-wood restaurant that I tend to like. Next time we might just stick to the fries:-)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Utica, New York
“Incredible food and service, never a disappointment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Absolutely wonderful restaurant. Whenever we have a special occasion we always celebrate at the Colgate Inn. We start with a draft beer at the bar since they have 15-20 craft beers on tap, many of them local. Their menu changes seasonally with many selections of all price ranges. The last time we were there I started with the barley and mushrooms appetizer. It had a variety of mushrooms as well as peas and spinach among the barley, topped with asiago cheese. It was absolutely delicious. I ate the whole thing myself. For my entree I got a black bean burger which was obviously homemade and came with a perfectly sized tossed side salad.
My dining partner had the special of the day, Chicken Riggies. He said they were among the best he's had (and he's from Utica!). They are "bottomless" but one serving is huge.
We have never had a bad waiter/waitress here; each one knows the menu extensively and can make recommendations. I cannot say enough good things about the Colgate Inn, please go eat here as soon as possible!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmeston, NY
“We hadn't eaten at the Colgate Inn for several years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I hadn't seen the inside of the restaurant since the renovations. The space is much larger, but I miss the more elegant look it used to have. The new decor kind of looks Germanic to me, almost like a beer hall, but I guess it's good for a college town.
We went to meet a business associate because the food there used to be very good, but this visit, it was kind of uneven. The calamari appetizer was cold when we got it, so they gave us another plate which was perfectly cooked and delicious and I loved the Asian sweet and hot sauce that came with it. My pot roast was a little too salty on the outside, but was well-cooked and delicious on the inside. The portion was surprisingly small. Perfect for me though. The veggies were so so. My husband had the ahi tuna, which really wasn't very good, although the serving was quite a robust size. I'm not sure what our business associate had, he didn't comment on it at all.
We were puzzled because the time we asked for our reservation wasn't available so we had to change our meeting time, but the restaurant had plenty of tables available before and during our meal and when we left.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Decent food, welcoming and friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This building is the 'grand dame' of Hamilton and is situated in a commanding position at the end of the village green. We decided to eat dinner here and, overall, had a good experience. First, the young lady who seated us very nicely accommodated our request to be away from an air vent - she listened and cared. Our server was friendly and welcoming; however, there were some inconsistencies which we experienced which could easily be remedied. First, we both ordered the spinach salad -- it was absolutely excellent, with blueberries, strawberries and blue cheese -- but mine arrived immediately and, after 5-6 minutes, we inquired about the second salad, which then arrived forthwith, complete with apologies. Second, we ordered the salmon and the chicken/vegetable pot pie as entrees. The salmon was quite good, well seasoned and not overcooked. The pot pie, however, lacked texture and suffered from what tasted like too much cheese. Lastly, we were initially hesitant about going there for dinner because we had been driving for several hours and were very casually dressed. This, however, did not seem to present a problem and - while we were grateful to be seated - it seems as though the Inn can't figure out what it wants to be. Perhaps there should be 2 distinct dining areas - one more formal, one more casual. Just a thought.

Visited July 2013