“FAR EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Colgate Inn offers fine American cuisine in a relaxing atmosphere. No matter what you are in the mood for, the Colgate Inn has the atmosphere and fare to suit.
Portland, Maine
“FAR EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

But then, I didn't know what to expect (nor would I generally consider any hotel or inn restaurant all that special to begin with. THE COLGATE INN - BOTH THE INN AND THE RESTAURANT - IS SPECIAL (and I said as much in my Trip Advisor review of the inn) to begin with. On one of the most hectic and frantic weekends of the year - Family Weekend at Colgate University - the inn, and restaurant were, as you can imagine, packed. Still, my family and friends enjoyed the most delicious meal (even this slightly jaded New Yorker was pleasantly surprised) and the service could not have been any better or more friendly. Remarkable really when you consider the weekend. Even if I wasn't staying at the beautifully appointed and recently renovated inn - and why you wouldn't is a mystery to me (ah, yes, it has a limited number of rooms and an unlimited number of requests...that's why) - I wouldn't hesistate to eat at the inn. 5 Stars without a doubt!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Clinton
“Love the renovation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The renovation really classes the place up. I was there recently for lunch. We got a table by the fireplace which was very nice. The meal was very good. Service was efficient and very pleasant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, New York
“Where we eat if we aren't eating at home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

The newly remodeled Colgate Inn is a great place to spend some time. We are lucky enough to have the Inn a mile awy from our home that we visit often.
The tavern menu has a good range of Items from snacks and sandwichs to full dinners
The selection of beers and ales on tap is always interesting.
This particular night I went with the Pumpkin soup and my lod sandby a Rueben
The soup was was with hints of spice a quite hearty. It did need a bit of salt.
The corned beef on the Rueben was tender and stacked high. The Chips (fries) were well done and the Inn has malt vinegar

My wife had the Lobster Mac & Cheese it was loaded with Lobster. Again a generous portion

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Charming, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The inn is charming, but the entire restaurant smelled bad -- maybe the fish special? Don't let them send you to the dungeon ---- I mean, tavern. The service was friendly, but slow. The food was not that good. if we'd had seats outside with the live music, I might have been able to overlook the problems, but the smell plus slow service plus so-so food means I won't be excited about returning.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dinner at Colgate Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

While we enjoy going to the Colgate Inn and think the renovation looks great there always seems to be a problem with the service. It's not bad...just off. Drink orders should arrive promptly and PLEASE don't ask to take our dinner order before the drinks have arrived. Basically just pick up the pace a bit. Oh and to the 2 hostesses: You're not chained to your station. Feel free to move around the dining room and assist where needed.

• Visited August 2011