“Second-time guest” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Midland, Michigan
“Second-time guest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am pleased to be able to continue to recommend this property, although it was the most costly of a number of hotels/motels in which I stayed during a recent trip.
When I asked an employee at the check-in desk about the nearby WaterStone Grill restaurant. she commented favorably on its quality and offered discount cards, which the restaurant accepted. The restaurant's food, service and decor were very good. (The restaurant has a website, at which you could get details.) The restaurant is a very short walk from the Holiday Inn Express and the two other neighboring hotels, I was told the Waterstone Grill opened approximately Thanksgiving 2011.
Upon my return from dinner, free cookies were available in the hotel's breakfast area.
At this Holiday Inn Express and other HIEs in which I recently stayed, the warm cinnamon rolls at breakfast were very tasty.
Free USA Today newspapers were available both in the breakfast room and on a small table near the elevators on my floor.
Although another reviewer had a negative reaction to some front-desk personnel, my experience was positive.
My room's TV remote control was a cleanable model which was easily operated. (With some other hotel chain's remote controls, the Closed Caption feature is either absent or more difficult to operate.)
The room door lock is operated by placing the key card on or near a panel which reads the card's code. It operated flawlessly. (Sometimes I have had problems with cards which are inserted. The equipment sometimes fails to operate one or more times.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It was fairly new when I stayed there during a family reunion. It was fantastic. Loved the breakfast, facilities, room, customer service. It was one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed in. Great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Colchester, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I didn't have the benefit that some of the other reviewers had of being in town for a fun time. Had I been, perhaps I would not have taken such notice of the mediocrity of the hotel and staff. But that being said, I was in town for work (I stay in hotels about 3-4 times per week) and I found this stay to be less than notable.

Maybe it's me, but when I go to a hotel I expect the people working the desk to be courteous, professional, and presentable. This is where it really falls short at this hotel. I've stayed her before several times and didn't really get too annoyed by the unprofessionalism of people hanging out in the lobby having a drunken profanity laced conversation with the desk clerk (previous stay) but the disregard and "going through the motions" this time around got under my skin. Upon checking in the girl behind the counter came walking over from the back room and without eye contact or a greeting said "Last name for check in?" Expedience aside, it's unpersonable and not welcoming. She held her hand out (still no eye contact) in anticipation of my credit card. The card was tossed back on to the counter after being swiped (no eye contact) and a paper with the usual initials required slid on to the counter. Signed it all and slid it back and got the robotic information about breakfast times and pool location. I know it seems like nitpicking...I get that. But honestly, with the amount of time I spend in hotels you come to expect a certain level of attentiveness and friendliness from the staff. These attributes were noticeably absent. I'd expect it from a motel with a number in it's name but not from Holiday Inn. The front desk staff seem like Mickey D's workers...not hotel desk staff. From shirts that are either three sizes too small with the ratty undershirt showing out underneath, to the guy with the mohawk, to the girl chomping on her gum and playing with her hair using her 5 inch fingernails, I sort of felt like it was a collection of charicatures instead of professionals. I wouldn't be happy with the appearance of the staff if I owned this hotel. Later on in my stay I overheard the two girls at the counter complaining about the "needy" guests who ask for toiletry items they've forgotten. "They're mad annoying. It's not my job to answer a million questions and get you toothpaste..." I was under the impression that it was your job. My mistake. They seemed a little nervous when I came around the corner from getting my coffee in the breakfast area.

The rooms are very nice. They are large and clean with good amenities. Desk, local services guide, nice bathroom etc. I honestly have no complaints with the room other than the TV placement was a little weird...unless you wanted to sit in the whirpool tub and watch the TV you were looking across the room to see it. Minor. My remote would double push the buttons which was kind of annoying but I got good at getting it what I needed it to do. (No problem on previous visits). With the whirpool tub in the main living area if the guy downstairs takes a shower it's noticeably loud but not really an issue.

Housekeeping staff was thorough and the room was very clean. They didn't move all of my stuff on the desk which was nice (Many times they feel the need to straighten up your papers which makes me uneasy but not here...THANK YOU) I saw a housekeeper in the hallway and she was very friendly, smiling and saying hello.

If the desk staff were the least bit professional I would have given a 5 star review but it reflects poorly on the hotel in general and made me nitpicky for the rest of my stay. I just felt like I was staying in a cheap hotel, which is not the reason I stay in Holiday Inn properties. I usually find them to be a great value for the price but the check-in experience made me doubt the value.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice. The whirpool may be a curse in disguise because of the plumbing noise when y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Hamburg, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear jgrz0610,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you liked your room accommodation as well as the included amenities, however, I was very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I apologize for the unacceptable customer service you received at the front desk. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. I will follow up your concerns to the hotel to make sure similar occurrence does not happen in the future.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here with friends in September 2012 when we were in town for a Bills' game. This hotel was close to Ralph Wilson stadium. It was about a $25 taxi ride to the stadium, I had called the hotel about a week prior to our arrival to request an early check in time. The usual check in time is 3pm and we wanted to check in before heading to the Bills' game which started around 1pm. They said no guarantees but would see what they could do. I arrived at the hotel before 10am and we were told that housekeeping was cleaning our room and we would be able to go in our room in about 20 minutes. I was very pleased. They offered us breakfast while we waited. They have a nice, clean breakfast area adjacent to the lobby area. There were several tables and a serve yourself area with a large selection of foods. There was cold cereal, yogurt, bagels, breads, muffins, cinnamon buns, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages. As well as a large selection of juices, teas and coffees. The room was large, nicely decorated and clean. Our room had two queen size beds. There was a small bar sized fridge in the room. The only downside to our room was the wireless internet, which we couldn't get to work at all. We enjoyed a quick dip in the hotel pool (indoors) as well. We will be staying here the next time we are in town for a Bills' game.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Aurora, IL, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Driving across country recently we stayed one night at this hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Gave us a list of local restaurants. There is a good-looking restaurant next door (walking distance) but we wanted something right on Lake Erie. Hoak's right on the Lake is less than 10 minutes' drive away and was a fun roadhouse right at the water's edge where we had a really good dinner and watched the sun set over Lake Erie, with the Buffalo skyline and Canadian shoreline seen in the distance. Our two-bedded room was very large and nicely furnished, and the lobby/breakfast area was nice. Definitely a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This holiday inn express is probably my favorite one I have stayed in. The rooms are clean, the service was great, bed was comfortable, breakfast lineup was ideal, swimming pool was nice, and the bathroom seem like something you would get at a 5 star hotel. The only thing I could find wrong is not having a bench in the fitness room to lift weights on. That is getting really picky. I would

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here in August, 2012 after a Bills game. Decided to stay here due to relatively close drive to Ralph Wilson Stadium (a quick 10 minute drive - probably a bit longer during the regular season!) as well as the fact that it's adjacent to the I-90.

The trees (woodlot) surrounding the property gave it a very awesome feel (and nice view!).

As for the stay, Krista-Lyn (attendant) was most helpful when we checked in....I remember her name as my wife's name is similar.

The room was great, and the breakfast was one of the best too (automatic pancake maker? Nice!).

Lastly, big props to this hotel as I actually made the mistake of leaving my cell phone in the room (didn't realize until later in the day). They made the prompt arrangements to get it returned to me via FedEx - and it was well-packaged when they sent it. Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms on the "wooded side" may give you a nicer view during the spring/summer/fall.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Hamburg? Share your experiences!