“Great location but not the usual.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Hamburg
Toronto, Canada
“Great location but not the usual.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Read some great reviews before we reserved a room. However was quite disappointed with what we saw.
a. Elevator was down. Desk did not know when it would be back in operation.
b. Stairs were at two ends of a long building, there was a caddy but not when you needed it.
c. Stairs look neglected and the cornflakes on the carpet just lay there getting crunched in the carpet,
d. Room did not have the usual microwave or fridge.
e. There is a table in the room but no chair, how does one work at the table. a small heavy armchair is at the other end.
f. they put a complimentary newspaper and a good breakfast.
g, The rates are much more expensive than other similar properties for the same hotels.
h. Parking is not well marked or lit so you end parking only in the front of the hotel.
i. Lighting is the room is weird. The switch for the pedestal lamp is near the door. The coffee maker is in the bathroom.
g. Carpets look dirty but that could be due to the dark color.

All in all not a property I would choose if I return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ponoka, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Booked a non smoking room and was given a room that was "non smoking" but had a strong smoking smell in it. I am 100% positive that this was a previous smoking room that was recently turned into a non smoking room but never got properly cleaned or renovated. I asked the desk clerk if the room was a non smoking room and was told that it was - except it didn't have the non smoking sign on the door like the ones across the hall. Overall, the stay was very disappointing and I would not go back to this property in the future.

Room Tip: Ask if the rooms have always been non smoking or just been declared non smoking.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Concord, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

getting an elevator sh/make some complainers about this hotel feel better.definitely an improvement. but....the stairways are pretty neglected and lack of vaccumming shows as do the dirty brass door handles. tsk, tsk.
2nd floor end of hallway reeked of cigarette smoke although the desk clerk said no smoking was allowed.
i have stayed here several times..it's ok, but next time thru i might try the holiday inn xpress which is getting good reviews

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is undergoing some needed renovations, but there is no excuse fir the filthy carpets, and dirty public areas. Our room was cleaner than other areas, but still had carpet stains and a large area of black mold on the shower curtain. The bed was amazingly comfortable except for a very noisy bathroom fan, the room was quiet. The elevator was being replaced and we had to carry our luggage upstairs. We were not informed of this when making our reservation. The breakfast buffet was just plain bad. The bagels were stale, the eggs were hard and dried out, and the fruit was past its prime. When we mentioned the hard eggs to the staff the response was that they get like that when they are out for a while-hmmm made us wonder just how long they had been in that warmer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Franklin MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed there over a weekend. The hotel is right off the highway and near many restaurants, stores and gas stations; very convenient. The lobby is somewhat tired and the smell of smoke from the smoking half of the building is noticeable. The staff were friendly and professional. The room was clean but, again, fairly worn. The refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker were functional and handy. Parking is convenient and the hotel was quiet. The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of pillows of different types.

There were a few issues and, although none were major, they did add up to be pretty annoying. The safe did not function. The main bathroom light was not working but it did get repaired quickly. The air conditioning fan cycles on and off constantly so the room never go very cool. The exercise room was pathetic: three treadmills. That's it. And two didn't work. One unit would not operate and another would vary speed on its own before stopping suddenly. That's not fun when you're running! Breakfast was fair and adequate although the eating area is too small.

The worst hotel offense was a security issue: Our room keys stopped working and when I went to the front desk, the staff member merely asked me for my room number. She then said to me, "Mr. Smith?", to which I replied, "yes". She then proceeded to re-program my keys! I could have been someone that found a key on the ground. I was never asked for ID or to confirm the name on the registry. A shocking breach of training.

With the Holiday Inn Express next door, head there.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the hall: you can park almost at your doorstep and it's quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed there with family recently after a last minute decision to go on a roadtrip over the long weekend. The reviews are mostly true about this property - "Nice, could use some upgrades". The hotel was a bit dated, and it was in a quiet nook in Hamburg. However, the staff was friendly, the room was spacious with a flat screen TV, the pool was heated and was conveniently located right across the hall with a small fitness centre. As this was a last minute booking, the smoking rooms were all that were left. This was probably a good thing as we stayed on the ground floor and there were no working elevators.

The meat cakes and scrambled eggs were great adds to a typical continental breakfast! Not a bad place to stay. Would recommend this hotel for a quick night out of town. Would stay here again after the renovations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I reserved my room at the Hamburg Comfort Inn & Suites several weeks in advance, but I had the misfortune of arriving in the evening on a night when the hotel was full, and I was told the only room they had kept available was on the second floor. No problem, I thought, and asked where the elevator was. Stupid me. The desk clerk gave me a look as if to say “This ain’t the Four Seasons, old man” and pointed me toward the stairway. I told the clerk that as a senior citizen with bad knees, I have lots of trouble climbing stairs, let alone dragging a heavy suitcase up to the second floor (there were 16 stairs) and back down again in the morning. The clerk replied with a silent shrug -- there was no help to be had with either the room location or the luggage. In the end, I did manage to get my baggage up and down (with considerable difficulty and some risk of further injury), but it certainly soured me on this indifferent, overpriced establishment.

Since the hotel had no elevator, why am I not surprised that management didn’t bother to put an ice machine on the second floor (and no fridge in the room to make my own ice)? So I limped down and up the stairway again to fill my ice container from a dispenser on the ground floor. I suppose I should be grateful that the ice wasn’t kept in a bin in a sub-sub-basement accessible only with a rope ladder, which also wouldn’t have surprised me. Other things to dislike about this hotel: too-small breakfast area, too-thin walls (I could hear every word spoken by the bickering couple in the next room late at night and quite clearly), some missing amenities in the bathroom, and a burnt-out bulb in the reading lamp I wanted to use, suggesting weak supervision of housekeeping and maintenance personnel.

On the positive side, I will concede that there were a few OK things that cause me to grudgingly give this unhappy hostelry a reluctant second star: The room was large and featured a good flat-screen TV, strong reception from the free wi-fi signal (accessible with a code from reception), a four-drawer dresser, adjustable heat and cooling, and instant hot water in the bathroom. Free Wall Street Journals were available in the lobby, which seems to be a happy feature of most Choice Hotels I’ve stayed at.

Still, everything is overshadowed by the difficulties of getting my luggage up to the room without an elevator or anyone to help. This won’t be a problem if you’re young and healthy. And perhaps for old codgers like me, there’s even a way to reserve a ground floor room in advance by telephone, which doesn’t seem be possible on the Web site. But I seriously doubt that I’ll be trying it again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, call ahead a try to reserve a ground floor room. If that doesn'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!