“Relaxing Time in beautiful Hague, NY.” 4 of 5 stars

Ruah Bed & Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   9221 Lake Shore Drive, Hague, NY 12836   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hague B&B and Inns
Northport, New York
“Relaxing Time in beautiful Hague, NY.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We are repeat quests at Ruah. Last summer was our first visit to Ruah and the town of Hague.
Both are a step back in time, a more low key, relaxing environment to enjoy. Ruah is a beautiful,
older,historic home with some quirks, but I wouldn't expect otherwise. The view of the lake is
exceptional. We were back again this past August and had another wonderful time. Breakfasts
are served at 9:00 a.m., were delicious and different everyday. We were there for a week, no repeats on the menu. Judy and Peter are lovely hosts, informative, available, very warm and friendly. Hague and Ruah, bring you back to a time where we were not so driven by technology
and the need to be connected to everyone and everything at all times. We enjoyed every minute
of being 'unplugged', for a much needed break. We hope to return.

Room Tip: If someone has a problem with stairs, this would not be the place for them. All rooms are on the se...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Parsippany, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a beautiful house with nice decorum. The host are charming, when they are introducing the environment. However the bathrooms are rundown(the shower curtains smells), the breakfasts are severed in a rush. We barely started the meal, plates are taken away.

We were sitting on the Porch and enjoying the view, the front door was locked behind us. Later we found a stick note on the door " Lock the door!"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
mulchawil3, Owner at Ruah Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We are always concerned when a guest does not feel comfortable in our home. However, we had no indication that these guests had any issues. They seemed to be having a very enjoyable stay. If they had indicated any displeasure, we certainly would have addressed it. Breakfast dishes were cleared, after asking if they were finished, to allow them to linger engaged in conversation without dirty dishes in front of them. And they did linger at the table for an hour or more. The buffet dishes were removed when they were empty of the food being served. The note was placed on the door as a reminder. If doors are not locked, strangers just walk in without ringing a bell and we have valuable items in the house, as well as our concern for our guests and their valuables. All guests are given a key to the front door upon arrival and are asked to please re lock the front door. We are sorry if that procedure offended them. As far as her comment on bathrooms and shower curtain....the curtain was new, so perhaps that was the "smell".

We have owned our home for 30 years and have been in business for 20 years. We take great pride in our home and have graciously welcomed thousands of very happy guests, many of whom return year after year. However, we are always dismayed when someone is less than delighted with their stay. Unfortunately, we cannot correct something unless it is brought to our attention, not after the fact.
Hernando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When we arrived we were fortunate enough to be able to park near the porch steps. We walked up 4 steps to the porch - 2 more to the main room and 18 to our room. There was no one to assist us with our luggage. My husband and I are in our 70's. The steps were enough without making 5 trips with clothes, luggage, laptop etc. The paint was chipped and old and needed some serious maintenance. They are looking to sell so I suppose as little maintenance as possible is being done. We were ready to leave as soon as we arrived. After two days we asked if we could leave early - we made a 5 day reservation. We were told we could leave anytime we wanted but we had to pay for the complete reservation. The cost with taxes was $275. per day. We have stayed in Hamptons that were nicer. We were told that if they could rent our room out they would reimburse us. I suppose that didn't happen.

However, the breakfasts were very nice - views beautiful, very quiet and the guests were wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
These guests made a reservation 3 months prior to their stay. They immediately received confirmation, which clearly states what our policy is on early departure. If they were uncomfortable with this policy, they did not express it. Nor did they express any displeasure with their stay. They merely said they decided to leave early to visit with their daughter. This was a very busy weekend and we had turned away several reservation requests. We are a 4 room bed and breakfast, and we do not have a bell boy on staff. However, upon their arrival I did ask if I could help with their luggage. Our housekeeper also offered help. Although my husband and I are also 70, we always offer help with luggage. if stairs were a concern, they did not indicate it. We have had many prospective guests who were concerned with stairs and specifically addressed that before making the reservation. We are sorry that their stay was not as enjoyable as the 99% of our other guests, who have graciously expressed their delight in our guest books over our 20 years of being in business. Our home is 105 years old and we have lovingly owned it for 30 years. We take great pride in it and are constantly complimented on our attention to the house, as well as it being featured in several magazines and on PBS.
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ruah over the first weekend in October. Most of the reviews were excellent so maybe I had higher expectations than I should of so I wanted to provide feedback of my own in case it helps others in deciding whether or not to stay.

The owners were away the weekend we stayed but the woman standing in for them was very nice and helpful. She gave us a bunch of ideas of things to do/see during our weekend stay, which was very nice.

I've given an "average" weighting because I felt like our room and bathroom were out-dated. We had a room that didn't have a connected bathroom so we used the bathroom in the hallway. Although it was a huge bathroom with a charming older bathtub, the shower was probably the most basic one I've ever seen in a house. It was literally a stand-alone unit in the sense that you could see it wasn't connected to the wall. Also, the bedding in the room and the room decor was a bit too dated for me. Last, although I understand it's an older home and the rooms are close together, it was a little too close for comfort, for me. Our room connected to our neighbors room with a door. They did position a big armoire in front of the door so no risk that they'd open it, but it may have contributed to the noise factor. I was woken up by the couple who were staying in the room next door when they returned later than us at the end of the evening. I wasn't bothered by the fact that I was woken up but I was very uncomfortable when I could clearly hear what they began doing after they got home. Ugh.

In terms of the location, we didn't mind that it was further away from town but there really wasn't an option to walk anywhere from the house. We tried to go for a walk along the road the first morning but there wasn't a sidewalk so I was uneasy about the cars zooming by us on the main road and there also wasn't much of a view.

Overall, I felt everything could have done with a bit of sprucing up and, in my opinion, the experience didn't justify the price per night's stay.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend one with a connected bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Located 30 miles or so north of Lake George head straight here if you need some relaxation. Better hurry though they will close at month's end for the season. The area does close down pretty much by Columbus Day.

The house is about 100 years old and is lovingly kept up. The interior was featured in a House Beautiful issue. 50% of the furnishings are original to the house.

Four bedrooms are available. We went with Queen of the Lakes, we wanted a private bath. The room is clean and charming. The fireplace is gas operated. Breakfast was standard B and B fare, well presented and delicious. No TV in your room a 13 inch is available in the downstairs living room. Wi-fi won't reach upstairs. Cell phone is only available with Verizon or Sprint. our t-mobile was out of commission.

The closest restaurant is Emeralds's at the Ticonderoga County Club. You can also eat at the Sagamore Resort, Bolton's Landing or Lake George. Fort Ticonderoga is about 15 minutes away and worth the visit.

Take a few days away from TV, email, and recharge your batteries. The owners are trying to sell the property and I hope when the sale is made the new owners keep as a Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good, not all have private, in room bathrooms, check out the website.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Piacenza, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Ruah is amazing: the house is gourgeous, the breakfast is delicious, Peter and Judy are the best hosts you can ever imagine.
It's a peaceful place where you can relax and enjoy life.
Words are not enough to explain how good it feels to stay here, you have to go!
We were there in july and we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We loved this B & B and would return. It is on Northern Lake George, which is an entirely different place than the Southern park of the lake. Our room was very nice, even with our private bath across the hall. The breakfast each morning was excellent and the hosts lovely.
While I did not have any reaction -- and I am sensitive to dust -- I did feel that the common areas could have used a dusting and polishing.
Plus, we saw and had to kill 2 large brown spiders -- one on the floor of our room and 1 on the vanity in the bathroom -- I guess that is part of being in the country.
Despite that, our experience at this B & B was excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ruah Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!