“give summer weekends a miss” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 52 restaurants in Greenport
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Frisky Oyster offers imaginative cuisine in a sophisticated, metropolitan atmosphere craved by locals and visitors for years. Our menu changes daily to showcase the most exceptional, local ingredients. The local and international wine list is personally selected to compliment the current menu. Starting at 5pm, we offer dinner in our stylish dining room or at the buzzing bar. DJ Frisky turns up the beat as the energy level rises after 9pm.
new york, new york
“give summer weekends a miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

Have been a regular visitor to the Frisky Oyster in the off season. Last Saturday arrived at 8.55pm for 9pm reservation. The event was a pre-wedding celebration for good friends. We were told that they were running more or less on time. Waited in the crowded bar until 9.30 and made an enquiry into our table. Heard nothing until 9.45pm when we were given a meek apology. Left at 9.55pm, obviously no closer to sitting down to dinner. The situation was not dealt with well or graciously, therefore next time it will be the North Fork Table for us, where we have found the quality of food to be superior, though not as convenient to where we live.

75% Recommend
London
“Well worth a stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Nice place for a good meal out, we turned up Saturday and got seated straight away even though it was packed. The staff where very attentive and the food was top notch. However due to the thunder storms I am pretty sure the hostess was trying to steal our umbrella as she left but when I pointed out the situation apologised profusely. Next time in Greenport will stop by again

NYC
“Great Time, Great Meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

4 of of us came to the Frisky Oyster on Memorial Day weekend. A local suggested the place for an above average meal. We didnt have a reservation but we were told we could wait a while and they would fit us in (it ended up being an hour) so went across the street and had a drink. The boys popped over to check if the table was ready and we were happy when they seated us at around 10pm. Our sever and the service was top notch as was our meal. I am going back again this weekend with a girlfriend. And I expect her to be really impressed. You just dont expect a place like this in Long Island. My suggestion is if you are a fussy pants, make a reservation and be on time for it. If you want to chill and go with the flow, pop-in and wait a while, its totally worth it in the end. L.G. NYC

Richmond, Virginia
“Do Not Go Here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

I visited the North Fork in November, just before Thanksgiving, with my boyfriend. We stayed in Greenport and after doing some research on dining, I decided to make a reservation at the Frisky Oyster, a lounge-y, trendy looking spot. I had heard great things about the food and the decor was pretty neat, based on their website.

I made a reservation for 6:30 pm on a Saturday, 2-3 weeks before the trip. I spoke to the owner on the phone and made the reservation with him.

The night of our reservation, my boyfriend and I showed at the restaurant at 6:25 pm. We checked in with the hostess, and the owner was beside her. I told her our reseravtion was at 6:30 pm. After scanning names, written in pencil, in a book, she said, no, we had you down for 6:00 pm. And I said, no, our reservation was at 6:30pm. Then the owner chimed in, we usually hold the reserved table for 20 minutes, and if the guests don't show, we give the table up. I said, well that's fine, but my reservation was at 6:30, so we should have a table. The owner insisted we had a 6:00 pm reservation, so after he offered to put us on the waiting list, which we refused, we left. No apology, no attempt to make things right.

Now, I would have second-guessed myself on the time I had made the reservation, expect that the SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANOTHER COUPLE AT THE BED & BREAKFAST WE WERE STAYING AT. They were a group of NINE, and the owner insisted the were late to their reservation as well, so he was forced to forfeit their table.

Even if the owner felt he had to "take care of the regulars," by bumping tourists' reservations, this is NO WAY to do business or to encourage tourism in this town.

Do not waste your time on this place if you are from out-of-town.

London, UK
“Excellent but a little burnt at the edges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

The Frisky Oyster is one of the new restaurants in Greenport that's reshaping this sleepy little coastal town as a culinary place to reckon with, a little like Franschoek outside Cape Town. Normally, it's tough to get a table, but at the end of the summer, that didn't seem to be a problem. Decor-wise, one could imagine one was in a trendy place in SoHo or London: think comfortable banquettes at the sides, subdued lighting and interesting
flocked wallpaper. The menu changes regularly and takes into account what's available in the market or from the sea that day. We started with the intriguing sounding heirloom tomato fondue with goats cheese and toasted ciabatta and tuna spring rolls with chilli dipping sauce. The 'fondue' (more a ragout, really) was an unctuous delight with sweet tomatoes and garlic and the mild, melting goats cheese. In short, delicious, but owing more perhaps to ingredients than precise cheffy skills. The tuna spring rolls were less successful, the roll bit around the seared tuna not really adding much apart from calories. The entrees we chose were the steak frites and seared sea scallops on a parmesan risotto with tomato compote. Curiously, the steak came in a rather blackened state with a centre that was distinctly medium rather than medium rare; clearly relating to the US-style of cooking steak where you slam it onto an overhot plate and hope for the best. The frites, on the other hand, were excellent: very much fine cut fites but with the skin kept on which added that delicious earthiness (and vitamins). The scallops were perfectly cooked and the risotto nicely cheesy but a little on the stodgy side (I think risotto should be thoroughly soupy). We both chose the same sweet: rhubarb and strawberry crumble. This isn't a combination I'd normally consider, but it proved splendid, and the kitchen had kept it on the tart side of sweetness. The crumble was a bit less successful; largely because it had been cooked and then reheated, with the result that a bit of the crunch was lost. The wine list at The Frisky Oyster wisely casts its net wider than Long Island and we chose an excellent Fairvalley Pinotage, which proved to be a surprisingly good accompaniment for all the dishes we ate. Price-wise, The Frisky Oyster is there at the top, and the final damage, including a couple of ports, was over $200. But this was very good food and certainly worth a repeat visit.