“Fried Chicken and Purple Slaw!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 54 Restaurants in Greenport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Fried Chicken and Purple Slaw!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The fried chicken here is the best I've ever had...simply delicious. Be warned though, you will wait and wait and wait for your order to be done. Is is worth the wait? Absolutely!!! I was aware that this place can get crowded, but surprisingly, when we walked in there wasn't anyone else there and this was just before noon on a weekday. After ordering, it's fun to look around the shop as they have many unique imported grocery items that I haven't seen anywhere else .We grabbed our drinks and sat outside at one of the tables.

To give you an idea of how long a wait there was for our food, my husband waited til after my daughter and I ordered, then he walked to a different cafe two blocks away (as he didn't want fried chicken),ordered his meal, ate his meal there, walked back to Salamanders and just then my daughter and I received our food. It was probably a good forty minutes. You can tell the food here is made fresh, and to order, so the wait isn't an issue, just know that going in!! Do what the locals do, call your order in ahead of time.

Even though the chicken and purple slaw are outstanding, the sweet potato fries were kind of burnt on the outside and very soggy on the inside. Other than that, no complaints. The owner and staff are lovely people and we will definitely be back, not only for the chicken, but the sandwiches looked amazing as well. This place is a gem!!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Quito
“Great Fried Chicken”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Visited with my family. Enjoyed fried chicken. Sweet potato fries are not that good. Chicken is crispy, juicy and tender. Simply great!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northport, New York
“Great little eatery. Perfect for take out or picnic.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Good food and lovely, friendly people who work there. Did not realize at first they had a menu as I was looking in the food case and found plenty there also. Next time will eat in and get a better look at the menu.

Visited August 2012
Greenport, Long Island Wine Country, New York
“Best Fried Chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is my go to place when I need comfort food. Claudia and company consistently provide great food. Its a nice little gourmet shop as well,with some nice salads, pastries and cheeses. The fried chicken is my favorite, and I have sent hundreds of people there over the years. The doughnuts are a great guilty pleasure. It has outdoor seating. Dont miss it...i tell guests to pick up lunch there and enjoy it at a favorite winery.

Toronto, Canada
“Best Fried Chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

You MUST try their fried chicken. We could not stop, until Lisa and I ate the WHOLE chicken. Yum Yum

Visited June 2012