“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York, NY
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

We had a great stay at the Greenporter Hotel a few weeks ago. The service was good and the food at the restaurant was great. The rooms were clean and in 50's retro minimalistic style. The beds are extremely comfortable. The front desk was very helpful with giving directions and suggestions for things to do in and around town.

Don't go by the other reviews. I plan on booking at the Greenporter again! We had a great time and stay!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

When we arrived at 2pm we were told check in was at 3. Usually, a hotel will at least see if your room is ready. Not this place. 3pm or later to check in, no chance of getting in a minute early. So i come back at 4:3om and no one is there. Wait 10 minutes for someone to show up. I get the key to my room and then the nightmare begins. As I am walking to my room I see the pool area. Boy, do they have a good pic of the pool on their website and this pool seems completely different. Small, kiddie sized and GROSS! I enter my room and I step into the Twilight Zone. Actually, I felt like I was in an IKEA showroom, the bed, pillows and even the shower curtain were IKEA specials. It's not like the Greenporter even tried to hide it considering the labels were on everything. This place was the pitts. The website claims that the hotel is "modern". Please! We checked out a night early, the hotel charged us and could care less. No, "thanks for staying" or anything and we went to the Harborfront Inn accross the street. Now that place is NICE! Stay away from the Greenporter. You're better off sleeping in your car!

• Liked — When we left!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away. Sleep in your car instead
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

The staff are the worst people I've ever been ignored by. When we asked for clean towels, they said no. $250 to be treated like dirt? No thanks.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at some of the smaller hotels on the island
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY AT THE GREENPORTER!!!!

This motel should be put out of buisness for false advertising and the following reasons:

1. There is no "Spa" at the Greenporter, only an old motel room with dirty towels, sheets and creepy massage therapists who don't know a thing about the hotel/motel where they work.

2. The service is terrible, no pathetic. Not one person who worked there smiled or said welcome, hello, or how are you. The "owner" Deborah, was not at all apologetic for the lack of friendlieness and seemed to feel good about the obvious lies she posted on her web site about the "Spa", room ammenities, and atmosphere. She repeated several times, "we have everything it says we have on our website". They do, only everything came from a yard sale or is second hand.

3. Every review on the their website is a lie. The magazine's that wrote good reviews are clearly friends of the establishment or they were paid for the good reviews.

4. When I arrived it was like Spring Break weekend with frat boys drinking beers in the pool and giggly girls sunning and drinking on the decks.

5. I cancelled my reservation on the spot becasue of all of the above and they still charged my card.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Greenporter Hotel and Spa does not have a Spa
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away and tell everyone you know to stay away
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

My wife and I, along with several colleagues and friends, recently spent several nights at The Greenporter. While recent negative reviews in Tripadvisor were somewhat histrionic, I must say that, overall, our stay was disappointing.
The hotel, in general, suffers from lack of caring upkeep and attention to detail in keeping the property and rooms looking fresh are essentially absent - the one notable exception being the landscaping.
Housekeeping services were marginal at best and, unfortunately, during one deep siesta, the housekeepers didn't understand the "privacy please" sign posted on our door. So much for the romantic mid-afternoon interlude.
Not sure that a sign prominently displayed at poolside reminding us that "guests that are incontinent should wear a diaper in the pool" was really necessary. But, we appreciate the visual image, anyway.
But, without question, the single biggest issue with this hotel is on the value front. Way, way overpriced for what it is. Would strongly recommend finding accomodations elsewhere while visiting the area.

Stayed June 2006
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

I wanted to take my fiance on a special trip for his 35th birthday, and I was embarrassed that this was the hotel I booked. The prices were expensive, so I was expecting something nice. The pool was so gross it was green, the hot tub had to be shut down on the second day I was there. I had requested a room on the second floor and they didn't have one when I got there. This place is basically a cheap motel dressed up in IKEA furniture (from top to bottom). The only positive was the location (great for our wine tasting trip and close to downtown Greenport) otherwise I'd never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The spa service was ok, the location is great
  • Disliked — The pool was disgusting and the place is CRAZY overpriced
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the place across the street
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

Where to begin? Room was bare (not stylish minimalist as the spin goes) and void of any of the comforts you would expect of a hotel in this price range, or any price range for that matter. The room was downright depressing. The bedding had a strange sticky feel, as if the sheets were not laundered. The roll away bed was too small for an adult, and the bedding smelled of something I can only describe as "skunk smell." In this regard, the Greenporter fails to take into account the need for accomodations beyond the king and queen rooms available for adults who do not wish to share a bed. Had twin or full beds been available I would not have had to spend two miserable nights on a roll away. Overall, I would say that the owner has dilusions of grandeur. When I read the blurb and accompanying rave reviews that were in our room I was left scratching my head. Is this the same hotel? The Greenporter is uncomfortable and lacking charm or amenities. You would do much better to stay at one of the b&bs outside of town (there really is no benefit to being in town).

• Stayed July 2006

Been to The Greenporter Hotel? Share your experiences!