“Loved the Jacuzzi” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Astoria, NY
“Loved the Jacuzzi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

The Inn At Great Neck, on Long Island, NY, has spacious rooms, which are very clean and accommodating. I especially love the large bathroom and the Jacuzzi is most relaxing. The restaurant located in the hotel, the Giraffe Room Lounge and Restaurant, has a menu to suit a variety of tastes. The food is cooked to perfection and the desserts offered are scrumptious, while the service is excellent. All the personnel act and look very professional yet are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

On the plus side, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The shower had great water pressure. Aside from that, however, I found little to recommend at this overpriced hotel.

First, it is very noisy. In addition to the trains running nearby, the hotel itself is very noisy. Staff seemed to go out of their way to let the room doors slam shut as they cleaned the rooms and refilled minibars. Our room was also near the service elevator and were awoken on a Saturday at 7 am by employees loudly speaking in the hallway.

In addition, the hotel appeared to be converting our room from smoking to non-smoking. So there was an annoying air purifier in the room. Unfortunately, when it was turned off, the room started to smell.

We have also had several billing problems with the hotel.

Overall, disappointing. The hotel got some stuff right, but dropped the ball on lots of others. For $200/night, they should at least provide a quiet night's sleep.

• Liked — Clean room, comfy bed, water pressure
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

I came from Washington DC for a friends wedding, and stayed at the Inn at Great Neck because I had previously heard good reviews. They were right. The staff were friendly, and able to accomodate everything I asked requested. I also enjoyed an excellent dinner at their restaurant, The Giraffe Room. As a frequent visitor of Long Island, This is definitely the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2006
Ft lauderdale FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

My family came up north because of a family emergency and the hotel make a sad time a little easier to handle. The room was large and felt like a suite. The bathroom was huge with all the ammenties including bathrobes. We were on the fifth floor but the train never disturbed us. There was a small business center near our room with FREE internet access and free use of the printer. The staff was very helpful and the hotel is located near many wonderdul dining choices. All in all a wonderful place to stay. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
Longwood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2006

I had to stay at this hotel because I needed to conduct a seminar here and it was convenient. Unfortunately, the hotel does not live up to its hype. Yes, there is train noise so bring your earplugs. That was the least of the problems I encountered. The room itself was well arranged and the bed was comfortable. But it smelled like smoke and it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. I called down to check on this situation and see what could be done and the desk clerk offered to have someone come into the room and air it out. I wasn't about to let in a serious amount of cold air into the room. Besides it got worse as the evening progressed and I suspect it was a ventilation problem. No offer of a different room. The smell was terrible.

Another odd thing is that for a luxury hotel they have very limited and, sometimes very indifferent, staff. The same person who parked my car also brought up the cable required to use the internet. And he didn't where a uniform of any type (looked very unprofessional and made me uneasy about opening the door). The wait staff in the restaurant was also limited making the service less than stellar and the food was less than grand as well.

One of my bath towels had some hard gummy residue on it which I luckily discovered before I used it. The toiletries in the room were nice and the bathroom itself was well supplied and clean.

I would also question holding a seminar there in the future. Kitchen and other staff members were making lots of noise that filtered into the room while the seminar was going on and the rooms themselves do not have enough soundproofing between them.

Overall it does not fit the luxury category and shouldn't be charging the prices that it does. If you want convenience to the Long Island Railroad it may be worth it but I've stayed at cheaper locations in the City and in Queens where the soundproofing and the service were much better. I've also stayed at luxury hotels in the area and this place does not fit that category.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Arlington, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

The beds were wonderful (and had goose down pillows), but I couldn't sleep with trains running at least once an hour right under my window (I was on 5, the top floor, but still the train noise was loud). If I'm paying $200 or more per night for a so-called luxury hotel, I expect to have a quiet room.

They advertise high-speed internet, but it's available by an ethernet cord (rather than wireless), and the ethernet outlet can't be used sitting on the bed --it's at the side of an inconveniently located desk (if you sit at the desk in the particular room I had, you are blocking access to the little refrigerator).

They charge $1 for each local call (and more after 20 minutes); I don't remember how much they add for calling long distance, but I'm used to hotels and motels that offer free local calling. (Fortunately I had a cell phone so I didn't have to use their phone.)

My room had two double beds, with a central light fixture between the beds; there were two lamps that swiveled from that central fixture, but the swtiches to turn the lamps off and on were located on the central fixture, not on the lamp. so that only a contortionist with long arms would be able to turn the light off without getting up from bed -- I would have thought that a "luxury hotel" might have put the light switches on the part of the lamp that swivels closer to the bed.

I didn't know that there is no free parking, and no short term parking area, only valet parking (at $12), and had not gotten my things organized to take with me when I arrived with my car; fortunately I was able to find an on-street parking place so I didn't have to use the valet parking.

The restaurant (Giraffe) claims to be a high-class establishment, but when I had breakfast, the orange juice was not fresh-squeezed (or didn't taste it anyway), the butter was in ice-cold little foil-wrapped pats that wouldn't melt on my not very hot waffle, the syrup for the waffle had no maple content at all and came in little plastic packets with a depressing ingredient list, the two eggs that theoretically could be prepared any style were not prepared the way I asked, and the only tea available as far as I could tell (the waiter wasn't very communicative) was Lipton regular and Lipton decaf.

I hope I never have to go to the Inn at Great Neck again (there don't seem to be many nearby alternatives), but if I did have to stay there, I certainly wouldn't eat in the resturant again.

• Stayed December 2005
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2005

The Inn has very comfortable rooms and a fabulous staff. What no one will tell you in advance is that the hotel overlooks the railroad tracks and the rooms are not soundproofed. There's no way not to hear the trains which run throughout the night. This made it feel more like a motor inn than the nice hotel it's trying to be.

No way this much noise is worth this price.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Inn at Great Neck? Share your experiences!