“Good and Getting Better!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa

You added Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Whitehaven Rd, East River Rd, Grand Island, NY 14072 (Formerly Holiday Inn Grand Island)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Grand Island
Rochester, New York
“Good and Getting Better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed here back in 2012 and 2013 but this was the first time since the Holiday Inn branding and ownership changed to the now Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa. Every year there is a major international Judo Tournament called the AM-CAN. Because of where it is everyone from all over stays here on Grand Island. It is usually filled to capacity as there is a discounted room rate for the competitors. Registration is usually downstairs on the RL floor for competitors so the hotel makes it easy for us. This time there was a few busses of retired teachers from Mobile Alabama going on Canadian shopping excursions also so the hotel was filled to capacity.

The hotel comes kind of fast all of a sudden from Stately road even though it is actually located on Whitehaven Blvd. This time it didn’t look too different than in previous years. The new sign is on the building and I didn’t recognize any of the staff there. I checked in without any problems and got room 348 which is located right were the corridor bends near some vending machines. It was a little load sometimes only because of the people coming of the elevators. An FYI there are two banks of elevators, one is the major one going to floor one. At the pool level there is another bank of elevators. It’s kind of hard to explain but it isn’t labeled “Lobby” so you have to use the stairs sometimes. I feel bad for the staff as there is no set of service elevators and they are waiting while guests are traveling up and down. My room was clean, especially the bathroom. The bed linens reminded me of the ones in the La Quinta Chains. These hotel doesn’t have microwaves of refrigerators just so everyone knows. It does have all the basic amenities though. Towels seem average and there is complimentary shampoo. The air conditioning worked fine and drowned out a little of the noise outside also. The pool area looked very clean. My daughter did not come this time around so the last time she swam was May of 2012. I can’t really report out on that or the restaurant. There is a small vending arcade for kids to play games. The really nice thing about this hotel is it sits on the water. There is some really nice views looking out if you get a room facing the water or just stroll out and walk around.

I checked out on the 24th and they gave me a receipt right under the door. I really like the setting of this place. I have a read some negative reviews here but just an FYI the hotel is in a period of transition so only many changes are being made at any one time. The management seems to be trying though and everyone was pleasant. Cosmetic things here and there are what the hotel needs but the good news is most things are fixable. I think the hotel is on its way to being better than it was. It is the only thing on Grand Island so it can definitely be valuable to people in-between traveling from Canada and The US.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2015

We visited to see the falls. We purchased a groupon, which was not cheap. $218 for 2 nights before taxes. The restaurant wasn't open and I was disappointed that there wasn't even coffee available other than the little coffee pots in the room. The room had no refrigerator or microwave which is a big disappointment when traveling with kids. Ice machine was on the 4th floor. The front desk staff was pleasant and very helpful. The indoor pool was great! With some minor improvements it could be an awesome place.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room...It's pretty.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Scott S, General Manager at Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Marianne W,

Thank you for staying with us here at Byblos Niagara. We do appreciate you taking time to let us know how your stay was. Our owner is always looking to hear from our guests before planning the next renovations. It has been about a year or so since we took over and many of the items that we have addressed were focused on the back areas like elevators, phones, pool etc. Our next phase which should begin later this year will hopefully address those other areas you mentioned. I will also review with Groupon, the information that they are displaying about our off season food and beverage offerings. That is especially important given our location and the needs of the family for convenience.
If I can assist in future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Clawson, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

I found this hotel originally on Groupon. Being that our room cost $110 with taxes I did not expect the Ritz, I also was not expecting a terrible smell, spider webs in the bathroom and holes in the sheets. I would say a $50-65 price would have been fair. You can get a very comparable hotel for MUCH cheaper. I will say though after Groupon had messed up my reservation the front desk attendant was very nice and accommodating, even though I was frustrated in the situation. The did have a very adequate fitness room which was nice and a nice pool for all ages.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the river view, it is nothing special
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Brooke L,

Thank you for taking time to comment on our hotel after your recent Groupon stay. We do appreciate any feedback good and bad and I will be sure to share it with my staff. I know the Front Desk manager will be happy that her staff took care of the errors in your reservation. I will also forward your nice comments about the pool and fitness area to our owner. We have had the property for a short time but are slowly improving as many areas as possible.

If I can help with any future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

Got 'allocated' this hotel as part of a hockey tournament weekend, and was kind of dreading it based on many earlier reviews.
I have to admit I arrived wanting to hate it as we were made to stay there (well at least pay $320 for there), but the friendly attitude of the lady at check in and her Manager wiped all my negativity away.
It was an old room, but it was clean, really seen better days though and the border was literally stapled to the wall. But, brand new TV, really comfortable new beds, and super fast WiFi, so my guess is they are half way through sorting it out.
Very skilled at segregating the hockey kids team by team and not inconveniencing their regular customers. Always friendly staff at every interaction.
It really could be good if they spend the money on rooms and bathrooms and keep their staff.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear TOtravelling

Thank you for staying with us for your recent hockey tournament in the Niagara Falls area. I am glad our staff took care of your needs and that we were able to accommodate the teams. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

You were correct in noting that we have been working hard to upgrade the property. most of the effort since we took over last year has been on the areas that you don;t always see...phones, pool, TV's and elevators. Our next phase will include rooms and will hopefully wrap up by the time you come down for the next tournament.

Thank you again and if I can assist with future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Cordially,
Binghamton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

Stayed at the Byblos for three days in March 2015. The room was immaculate, the staff was very helpful and eager to please, plenty of water pressure and hot water in the shower and the actual resort was remarkable. Here is the rest of the story. They are billed as a Resort & Spa even though there is no spa. The dining and bar were closed because of the season, even though they rate themselves a full service resort. Go out for coffee, for a meal, for a drink, nothing in house. Most rooms were decor of early 2000 but they were clean, had good mattresses and a new flat screen TV. My room was an experiment (326); it had no place to put our clothes, it did have a psychedelic 12 inch wide shelf which was all kinds of swervy but no chest of drawers. But it did have a pair of ceramic orange rabbits on this shelf (must be a hidden meaning). We lived out of our suit cases (literally) for three days. The bones of this resort were remarkable. She just needs someone to love her again: fresh carpet, paint, fix up nicks in plaster, drapes, wallpaper etc. The only thing more remarkable than this grand lady were her staff. They truly tried in every instance to make your stay enjoyable. Seemed as if they were on some noble mission to compensate for the resorts short comings.

Room Tip: get a room with a river view, not a parking lot view/ view from balcony is beautiful
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay in March here at Byblos Niagara. We do appreciate your comments and will share them with our staff. I do have a great group of employees that work hard everyday to present our best side.

You were correct in noting that we have been working on various changes here at the property. It has been a work in progress with most of it concentrated on the back house areas like boilers, elevators, cable TV systems, pool etc. As we complete those items, we will be moving on to guest rooms; all of which are due this year for renovations and updating but probably not with the decor style that was in your room. From our other guest feedback, we found that this type of family property prefers the more tradition look and feel of a hotel room.

If you are returning to the area and need assistance with your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Corning
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

We visited for a weekend getaway. We found the hotel room to be exceptionally clean and maintained (The hallway/corridor needs updating and fresh paint). You certainly can tell the ownership is working on upgrading but they're not quite there yet. We had a minor issue with the heat in our room (we visited during a frigid March) but we simply let the front desk know before we left one evening and upon our return the room was toasty warm. The pool is excellent, as is the sauna, while the jacuzzi unfortunately can hold just 2 people comfortably. While we didn't use it the fitness center is expansive and up-to-date. It was snow covered during our trip, but I can only imagine that the outdoor pool and views of the river are magnificent in the summer. This location is great, too--a short 10-15 ride to Niagara Falls or about the same to downtown Buffalo.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Steven G

Thank you for staying with us here at Byblos Niagara Hotel in March and letting us know about your trip. We are glad that it went well and that our staff took care of your heat issue so quickly. It was definitely one of the coldest winters that I can remember!

As you noted, we have been working on upgrades and renovations since taking over 2 years ago. Most of the items so far were back house updates but we are hoping to start work on rooms this year. I hope that if you can return to the area next winter, you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. I'd be happy to assist with any future travel plans, so please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Cordially,

AMHERST
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

Arrived for an overnight birthday celebration with my family and some friends. The pool was great, lifeguards on duty until 5pm but the pool closed at 6pm which we thoughts was unusual but we were able to get our swimming in and it was fun.

AND THEN, a water main burst just as we were leaving the pool area to go back to the room. The pool attendant advised us not to use the elevator because there was water in the elevator shaft. (no sign indicated to not use elevator) but we walked up 6 floors to stay safe. We were told the water problem would be taken care of within an hour. As 3 hours passed and we were still without the use of a toilet.

The front desk stopped answering the phone, so I walked to the front desk only to be told they would not refund our night stay. The night manager was nasty! He come right out and said "we are not refunding your money!" His tone was very abrasive, other guests as well as myself were very taking back by his demeanor. If he would have only used a bit more tact in his communication to the guests, it would have gone a long way.

Having no use of a toilet or running water all night (think that is against the law?)
and having to leave with 5 children in that frigid cold last night was awful. We were offered a 50% discount on our two rooms. (which I was willing to accept just to get home at 10:30 at night)
As we were leaving, there was a terrible gas smell and there was water dripping from the ceiling in the main lobby area. We advised the manager about this on our way out but he didn't appear concerned at all. Thanks for the 50% off but no thanks. Will be requesting a full refund. We will make sure others know how the guests were treated.

Rooms need updating, bathroom doors all scratched up. Very dated. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a river view if you do stay
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Scott S, Owner at Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2015
Dear Leeza217
Thank you for speaking directly to me about your stay during the water main break here at Byblos Niagara. Once again, please accept my apologies for having to leave that evening due to the extended water outage. We too, were led to believe that repairs would occur more quickly to avoid disrupting the stays of our guests but the damage to the water lines were more extensive that it was first believed.
For your inconvenience, I have asked our accountant to issue a refund for that evening's charges. You should see these in the next 5-7 days.

Again, our apologies

Fadi Touma
Owner Representative
Byblos Hospitality

Been to Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!