“Diamond in the Rough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Glens Falls
New York
“Diamond in the Rough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We have stayed at the Queensbury Hotel 3 times in 2009. We are well-travelled in the U.S., Canada and Europe, having stayed at some top ranked hotels either on business or leisure. This hotel almost defies description. We have nothing to compare it to. The price is unbelievable; on our first visit we were almost afraid to go into the room, expecting the worst for $79 a night! We were more than pleasantly surprised. The room was enormous and well-appointed with all the amenities of a good mid-range hotel. Housekeeping staff were appropriate - they always respected our do-not-disturb sign- and the room and bathroom were always clean. The Queensbury is, however, quirky. From the old-fashioned door key to the almost always (during our stays anyway) deserted restaurants, pool and even guest rooms to the sometimes indifference of the front desk staff - not rude just not exactly eager, we have learned to love it despite its slight fustiness. This is a one-off hotel that won't appeal to everyone. We love it...and where else can you get a large suite with one and a half baths for $129?!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
QueensburyHotel, Hotel Management GM at Queensbury Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
Dear Guest,
I have reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at The Queensbury Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We do apologize for not so eager front desk staff that you encounter and I have addressed your comments with our staff. Again thank you for the comments.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My wife and I were delightfully surprized by how charming and well-maintained the Queensbury Hotel turned out. It was relatively inexpensive for the area (especially with the horse races going on in nearby Saratoga Springs) so we weren't expecting much. The lobby is a classic, with a high ceiling and white painted pillars -- like an old resort hotel. Our room was clean and plenty big -- with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was old fashioned, but functional and clean. The bar served excellent cocktails and the food was pretty good, too, especially for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the Queensbury Hotel and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Glens Falls.

vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

coming from someone who travels a lot ,,and is "disney" trained in the hospitality industry....Oh such possibilities! This elegant hotel could really be something special. They have the oil paint and the canvas but dont have what it takes to creat the piece of art!
Why we had to climb upstairs one level and climb stairs down one level to get to a pool that had a locked door, only 25' from the front desk, was beyond me! Housekeeping had NO consideration for guests..and dont bother w/ the DO not disturb signs they mean nothing to their staff.. . housekeeping is cleaning rooms up to 7pm ??? What the heck?? Walked by one housekeeper who said to herself "I know one thing I need to do, and thats go Pee!"Radio's are blaring loudly! I asked the man w/ the radio TWICE to turn it down in the hall way..he completely ignored our request.they dont wear ear pieces w/ their radios. A huge violation when ranking a hotel. Carpets in the hallway should be vacuumed every day..I saw trash and debre on the lovely hall carpet. Renovations and some fixing up is in order too. maybe some touch up of paint. The salarium windows above the pool look like the drywall is going to fall on your head! Such a gorgeous hotel, and they treat it like a Motor inn! BTW,,found 3 hairs on the bathroom floor, makes me feel that the rest of the room wasnt cleaned right! bed was comfy..no blankets in the drawer or xtra pillows?? When we complained on the way out, we got "NOTHING" not even an apology..I was told that she would let the Mgr. know..I havent heard a word! Im going to call them about this..I loved the pool and hot tub though. we both did..my suggestion is to give the guest a key so that they can get in on the main level near the front desk hallway..maybe? instead of following a map to the pool and climbing stairs..its RIGHT THERE on the main level! Would I go again..NO..No valet, no one to help w/ luggage, couldnt find a luggage cart. wasnt offered one..you wont find that special "touch" here.
PS; no coffee no tea in the lobby for the guests..no cookies at 4..chz n crackers?? something? you pay a high price and you dont get much hospitality.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I have reviewed your comments regarding your stay with the Queensbury Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback that you have provided. I do apologize for all that you encountered from your stay with us. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we can reslove any and all of these issues. Again thank you for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Glens Falls hotels

Gowanda, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife an I stayed here on a hunch and it was right. A pleasant, clean, friendly and charming hotel right off downtown with plenty of easy parking free. Even if it shows it's age, it is a deal. Step back in time while having the modern conveniences. Staff was exceptional and free Breakfast in a romantic setting. This may be well-kept secret but may not be for long, as the price ($79) was right.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Queensbury Hotel and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Glens Falls.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I picked the Queensbury since it was the closest hotel to where I was working. Unfortunately I never had much opportunity to use many of the amenities. The pool looked very nice. It also looks like it has good meeting facilities.

I ate in the lounge the night I arrived. The food was well prepared and I thought very reasonable price for a hotel - but I tend to think in terms of West Coast pricing. I only had breakfast in the restaurant. I would think that the outside patio facing the park would be a nice spot on a warm summer's evening. I usually got back too late to be interested in anything other than sleep most nights.

Although they only mention WiFi hotspots in the hotel, I had no trouble connecting from in my room with either of my laptops.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We have read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time with us at the Queensbury Hotel and we hope you to see you again very soon for your next visit to the Glens Falls area.

Upstate NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I have stayed here on two separate occassions.
The hotel has a certain old-fashioned charm to it, but its pretty shabby. The paint was comming off the walls in one room, the shower had spots that looked like mold in the caulking, the caulking was peeling, etc. The beds are comfortable and the sheets seemed clean so its not a terrible place to stay for a night, but the hotel definitely needs some repairs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I have reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Queensbury Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback that you have provided. We do apologize for the condition of the room that you were placed in. As a management team we share all of the comments with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Again thank you for your comments.

GM.
Crown Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

We have stayed in numerous places over the years and this place rates at the top of our list. Thank you for a nice stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Queensbury Hotel? Share your experiences!