“Family Owned & Operated Restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Lake George
“Family Owned & Operated Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Kudos to the Carl R's ads: "consistently good American & Tex-Mex food, friendly, prompt service, reasonable prices, and a comfortable family atmosphere ... just ask anyone!" I love eating at Carl R's for these reasons but also for the ambiance of a well established local restaurant. The "Mom & Pop" places are too readily disappearing being displaced by national chains which offer little to the community. It is so refreshing to be greeted by the owner and staff who know me by name and know that I will be eating less preserved and higher quality foods. Also love the complimentary chips & salsa!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, Vermont
“Not what it used to be...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I used to often travel back and forth to Oklahoma with my parents in the 1980's and 1990's, and I remember eating at Carl R's almost every trip. Granted I was just a kid, but my parents always loved it, and I had good memories of it.

Fast forward to October 2012, at 38 years old (again traveling with my parents), and things have gone waaaaaaay downhill at Carl R's...

We were "greeted" by a gruff server, seated, and then basically forgotten for the duration of our meal. My father was happy with his burger, but the pasta dish I orderd was bland and watery. Nobody ever came by to ask how we were doing (and I totally would have ordered - and paid for - a different option). When she asked if we wanted our check, she saw my plate of uneaten food but didn't bother to ask if there was a problem - she handed me a "to-go" container that she already had in her hands.

So...terrible service, and my food was awful.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Queensbury, New York
“Go three more miles north for REAL Authentic Mexican”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The only good thing about this restaurant is the location. The service is slow, atmosphere cold and the food less the fair. Not even authentic mexican.

If you want real authentic mexican go three miles north to exit 19, take a right and follow quaker road to Bay St. Take a right on Bay and there you will find La Cosina. The best mexican food I have had in the northeast. Perfect from beginning to end. Average plate is about $13 which we thought may be a little expensive. You won't think that after you try their food. Eveything from the salsa, to the beans and rice were incredible. If you go there you have to try the desert. The best ever!!!!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greenfield Center, New York
“Arrogant owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I ordered a full rack of ribs to go but received only a half rack. When I complained to the owner he said "Oh, well, you're only being charged for the half-rack". It is no wonder on a Friday night the place was 3/4 empty. We will never darken their doorway again - there are PLENTY of good restaurants in the Glens Falls area that provide not only great food but GOOD SERVICE -our money goes elsewhere..

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NY
“Horrible food, service, don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Do not waste your time r money on this place. It's right off the northway so it has convenience going for it, but it stops there.
We ate here, something that should be easy...burgers and fries and their special of the day. The service is extremely slow, the waitress rude and unattentive. A medium rare burger over cooked and a waitress who could care less.
We had to ask for refills and that apparently is asking for too much. However, they are quick to provide you your bill.
We will never go to this place again and will not recommend to anyone unless they want poor service and food.

• Visited January 2013