“tops by any standard” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
seattle
“tops by any standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Fabulous restaurant; innovative and delicious. Make a reservation well in advance -- it is worth it.

Merrick NY
“Best food in the area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I cant even explain how good the food is at this place. You have to see it to believe it. Its so good that it put fiddleheads out of buisness. Ha Ha

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NY
“Fantastic Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Tallulah offers some of the best food in the region.  Very fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection by chef/owner Shawn Whalen.  Shawn has brought true French bistro style food to Glens Falls and the surrounding region.  Even the frites are authentically crispy and delicious.Love the large or small plate option!  It makes the entire dining experience more fun, especially when you dine with friends and share around the table.

The traditional bistro fare, such as Coq Au Vin,  Steak Frite and Confit of Duck are prepared as well as their Parisian counterparts.  Prices are reasonable when compared to other fine dining restaurants.  And the half plate options can help stretch a family budget.

The only reason that I can't bring myself to give this a 5 out of 5 rating, is the service component.  While I understand and appreciate that great food can take time to prepare, the staff always seem rushed off their feet, and they aren't able to be as attentive as they should be.  Most are very professional and friendly, but when it's as packed as it tends to be on the weekends, tempers can be short and service can suffer significantly.  I'm thrilled that Shawn has garnered such success, and I know that expansion can sometimes be the kiss of death to a good restaurant.  But, I think he seriously needs to think about a larger place. I know we'd still eat there.  Probably more often!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GF
“Service needs to Improve”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

3rd time there and service has not changed. Owner/chef needs to get out of the kitchen and look at what is going on.

-On most current visit we had to sit at small bar because no table was available (had reservation). While sitting at the bar, we were basically ordered to vacate our seats as the space was needed for 4 other diners as it had started to rain and they had to "sit somewhere";
- Ordered bottle of red wine. Was given a white wine glass and a water glass. Bartender stated they were out of glasses.
- Saw our waitress only twice. She took the order and brought us the check. In between dishes were delivered by bartender or other service personnel.
- At end of meal we were asked if we wanted dessert. I stated there was no room. She commented that we must be full. I said no, I mean there is no room at the table as the small cafe table had not had most of the empty dishes removed during the course of the meal.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adirondacks NY
“The Big Easy in Downlown GlensFalls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

If you are looking for a great dining and sensory experience, I highly recommend Tallulah. You might pull off a romantic dinner here, but the atmosphere speaks better to a little more raucous group looking for a gastronomic pleasure. I suggest the "half plates" which are still great portions, as this allows you to sample a great salad, incredible soups, or more than one dish. You will have trouble deciding. My new favorite is the Cioppino. Their specials are always masterfully able to change your mind. They have a small but very well selected wine list and the servers are top caliber. This is a place for people who want a dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere