“Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Upstate New York
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

This restaurant is such a gem for the Glens Falls area!The food and service is outstanding!The best part of Tallulah is that you can stop in for a glass of great wine and a half plate of something delicious and sit at the bar for a casual evening, or you sit down for a full meal and be blown away by either experience. 100% Worth a visit!

treilly4
“I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I love this place. I have to say that it is truley a gem to the region. Me and my husband are from north of lake george and we gladly make the trip to enjoy this fun and exciting bistro. The place is a true bistro in all senses. We enjoyed three portions and split a dessert and were pleased with our bill to boot. We love the portions and the service. Worth the trip for anyone looking to enjoy some of the most creative and delicious selections in the entire region. Thank you shawn for bringing this lovely place to us happy patrons. p.s the wine is poured just right and the staff is excellent!

Creekside NY
“Will never return....thank god we walked out...Wine Drinkers Read This”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

My husband and I are avid diner's ...we are in restaurants about 3x a week.

After reading all the positive reviews, my husband and I really wanted to dine at Bistro Tallulah. Because it is a small restaurant, it is very hard to obtain reservations unless you want to dine late at night. We tried 3x to dine here,but everytime that we called the only seating available was very late in the evening. Finally, my husband was able to get us a reservation for us this past Friday at 6:30.

We arrived at Bistro Tallulah 12 minutes early. There was a table for two available and another table for two appeared to be in the process of paying their bill. We were greeting by a waitress who was obviously annoyed that we were early and told "well...your table isn't ready yet. So if you want, you can sit at the bar." I am able to get over a rough start like that....but what happened next was really unacceptable.

The bartender was a young lady who did not appear to be thrilled that we sat down at her almost empty bar. She barely addressed us. We did receive the wine list after a minute or so. My husband decided on a chianti, I chose a cabernet sauvignon. The only other couple at the bar ordered some merlot. Here's where it gets ugly. I have never seen this done before. The bartender actually measured the wine in 3 oz portions using a measuring cup that was not rinsed. Meaning she measured and served the merlot, she then measured and poured my husband's chianti and then did the same with my wine. All in the same measuring cup. I was sick!! Not what I would expect from a restaurant touting itself as upscale. Certainly not what you would expect from a chef/owner claiming to have graduated from Johnson & Wales. It was also hinted that we should settle at the bar for the wine, rather than adding this to our check. Why? Was the bartender pushing for her tip?

While we were sitting there, a party of four came in and asked for their table. I overhead they had a reservation that they made two weeks ago. There was some muffled conversation but it was obvious that the restaurant lost their reservation. At that point, I told my husband that I was starting to have a bad feeling.

The last straw was that we were told that our table was ready, we got up to follow the bartender who was going to seat us and she said "oh..it's actually not ready yet." I couldn't believe what I was seeing but the staff was actually putting a table very close to the kitchen window...almost in the middle of the walkway to the bar and other tables. Meaning, no quiet dinner...we would be in the flurry of activity of the kitchen and waitstaff throughout our dinner. What made it worse was there were two tables for (2) available. They could have easily sat us at one of those.

My husband was as disgusted as I was. He shot me "the look" and we walked out...and will not return. We have money to spend...and will glad patronize establishments who actually remember you are the customer and welcome you warmly. The food could have been excellent but it is obvious that the service at this establishment is terrible and the staff ...very inexperienced.

Chef Shawn? Are your eyes open?

Adirondacks
“best restaurant in downtown glens falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

This place is FABULOUS! I love the idea of "small plates," just the right size meal, great price, and best of all: fresh, perfectly prepared, innovatively paired foods - tonight was our second experience at Tallulah's. The only table available was outside -- a perfect evening to watch the rebirth of downtown Glens Falls and consume a sumptious meal. Our server was excellent and prompt, allowing us plenty of time to share pineapple upside down cake with a caramel sauce and still have time to walk to the show at the Glens Falls Community Theater. Our dinners were superb, perfect seasoning, perfect temperature, incredible sauces. Bravo, Tallulah -- please keep doing what you're doing - we're blessed to have you here.

Newton, MA
“Great dining in Lake George area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

My reaction to reading most reviews of Lake George/Glens Falls restaurants was distress. Generally there was a negative review for each positive one. Bistro Tullulah had a couple of good reviews so we decided to try it. What a treat! They were fully booked, but we managed a table outside on the sidewalk. Chef Shawn Whalen is a Johnson & Wales graduate and trained in New Orleans. His food reflects his training. Gumbo was very good. Bread pudding was to die for! Entrees were excellent. Since you can have many of them as small plates, you can try a few at one sitting. Given the size of the "small" plates, the value is tremendous. We noticed that most diners the night we were there were locals. Since they all had made reservations, there was no room for walk-ins. Too bad. They missed a great meal!