The Hide was a place I wanted to visit on my previous visit to Zimbabwe. Unfortunately, I never managed to find the time. On this occasion I was determined to make it, even though I only had a day. I wasn't disappointed at getting to this award winning place on a concession just outside Hwange National Park. Nothing quite prepares you for the experience - there are no fences and elephants, buffalo, leopard, lion...basically just about anything can decide just how close they want to come to you. In fact, I found that I saw more sitting on the main dining area at the Hide than by driving around the part. The most breathtaking experience was watching scores upon scores of elephants arrive at the waterhole just a few metres from the Hide...we must have seen at least 200 elephants in about 2 hours and I was told this was actually less than par for the course. We also saw a leopard coming to drink, a hyena, a herd of buffalo and several giraffe, sable antelopes etc. We also missed seeing 2 lions coming to drink because we decided to go a night safari! The best part about the Hide though is the hospitality and food. Everyone was friendly and always asking if you needed a drink or something to eat...the food was excellent and I found that a pleasant surprise since this is a really wild location. Of course, its all about the wildlife experience and having elephants and buffalo grazing just a few feet from my hut was an experience I can't even begin to describe. It is an amazing place and I do need to come back and spend more time...I will be back for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well known and much loved, The Hide Safari Camp is situated within Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe's largest game reserve, renowned for its abundant and diverse wildlife. Built in 1992, The Hide has justly earned its reputation as a great wildlife experience wrapped in warm and welcoming hospitality. Accommodating up to 20 guests in comfortable, spacious, en-suite luxury tents under thatch, The Hide prides itself on having a family of experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides. Activities on offer include guided walks with a professional guide, day and night game drives, ‘hide’ sits, sleepovers at the romantic Dove’s Nest and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your The Hide reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hide Hotel Hwange National Park
- Hide Hwange National Park